Active Hacking Discusion

Started by SilentGunnerJohn, February 18, 2014, 02:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilentGunnerJohn

As an avid fan of the Splinter Cell series, I was often bothered by one aspect of SCCT Versus, the hacking of terminals. Does it bother anyone that hacking of terminals in SCCT versus is a very passive experience. It requires absolutely nothing from the user other than to click one button and then just focus on any mercs that may be approaching, while the spy character seems to be 'busy' at work typing/hacking away.
Chaos Theory's single player/Coop incorporated a nice way to hack terminals, where you match numbers in a fairly quick stream of code till you have all ~6 or so numbers required to crack the door open (this hacking was an alternative to dragging an unwilling victim for a retinal scan). It bothered me that such a system was never applied to hacking terminals in versus though.

One game that currently applies hacking of terminals in online multiplayer quite well is Blacklight Retribution (BLR). Once you start a Hack in BLR, you are given a number in the center of the screen and two numbers on either side (one left and one right). In order to crack one line you must simply press left or right, matching the side that has the same number that appears in the center. Example if you 28 (left) 26 (center) and 26 (right), you would click 'right' because the number on the right matches the number in the center. To successfully hack a terminal in BLR you have to complete four matches in a row, with out a single error.
This form of terminal hacking sounds simple, but when you are in a rush because of enemies breathing down your back, this becomes more of a challenge, and is down right more fun than simply watching your spy do all the work while you just count down the time. In BLR you can look around while you are hacking (to keep and eye on enemies).

There could be a number of ways to apply this to PS, one could be to successfully hack (number match) something like 10 - 20 lines in order to fully hack a terminal, while still being able to say hack 4-5 lines, leave (to escape a merc), and return to finish where you left off.
Below is a video of hacking terminals in a BLR tutorial:

Below is a link to a video where I quickly finish off 4 lines of 'hacking' (number matching) to hack a terminal in Blacklight Retribution.

I would like to see more active hacking in PS, and firmly believe that it will make this game much more exciting and whole.
Please let me know what your thoughts are on this, and if it is possible/likely to be incorportated into PS.
PEOPLE SAY GAMERS HAVE NO LIVES, GUESS WHAT THEY'RE WRONG, GAMERS HAVE MANY LIVES

NeoSuperior

I like the idea itself. However I see a problem there.

In SCCT just looking out and reacting to enemies is already taking a lot of effort, because they can easily headshot a non-moving spy. Moreover such a "minigame" would cost screenspace, which could cause a merc to remain unseen and be able to get a headshot kill. These issues have to be addressed first, imo. Still the idea is very interesting and if a good solution should be found, it may become great.
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

SilentGunnerJohn

Quote from: Meister_Neo on February 18, 2014, 03:10:26 AM
I like the idea itself. However I see a problem there.

In SCCT just looking out and reacting to enemies is already taking a lot of effort, because they can easily headshot a non-moving spy. Moreover such a "minigame" would cost screenspace, which could cause a merc to remain unseen and be able to get a headshot kill. These issues have to be addressed first, imo. Still the idea is very interesting and if a good solution should be found, it may become great.

If you view the video I linked there, you should see that the amount of the screen used up for the actual hacking is very minimal (Hacking screen is just the White circle with the numbers inside, to the center of the screen), leaving plenty of screen space to watch out for enemies that may be approaching. (In my video I was not worried as much about enemies as my team was covering me quite well). In BLR you can actually look side to side and all around for enemies, and the hack screen remains in the center of the screen. This way you can hack and look out for enemies at the same time. Even using a certain amount of transparency would let you see what is past the hack screen.
PEOPLE SAY GAMERS HAVE NO LIVES, GUESS WHAT THEY'RE WRONG, GAMERS HAVE MANY LIVES

NeoSuperior

It is a bit different though, escpacially because of the perspective. As spy it is often necessary to turn the camera to see at what angle the spy can be attacked and depending on the place for the computer, it is possible to peek around corners as well. Just transparancy won't cut it, because it either blocks too much view, or is not visible enough to be done without mistakes.
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

frvge

I think the idea is nice, but there's just so much you need to look at that I don't think it makes much sense in this game. I think it could be an experiment. Or maybe "harder" objectives that open up extra infiltration possibilities if done successfully (get 5 lines right in 10 secs).
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

SilentGunnerJohn

Quote from: Meister_Neo on February 18, 2014, 03:35:33 AM
It is a bit different though, escpacially because of the perspective. As spy it is often necessary to turn the camera to see at what angle the spy can be attacked and depending on the place for the computer, it is possible to peek around corners as well. Just transparancy won't cut it, because it either blocks too much view, or is not visible enough to be done without mistakes.

Some things are more easily explained with video. Bellow is a video of hacking terminals in a BLR tutorial. Notice that you can look all around you and the hacking screen occupies very little space in the center of the screen and even has gaps in the middle allowing you to see through it as well. I hope this clears up what I meant. ;D

frvge

I think the first-person vs third-person  makes a difference, but it's impossible to know without experimentation.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

SilentGunnerJohn

Active hacking add more to that 'Hardcore'  Spy vs Merc feel that PS should be about. Spies keeping one eye on the hack screen as they unlock lines of code, while at the same time keeping another eye open for approaching mercs. Things will certainly be more thrilling and engaging this way, rather than counting down the seconds like in CT (which made me feel a bit cheated). Hacking, should be just that, Hacking. One should actively be doing something.
This might also enforce team play as the spy team might be encouraged to work together (one hacking/one defending).

Quote from: frvge on February 18, 2014, 04:05:50 AM
I think the first-person vs third-person  makes a difference, but it's impossible to know without experimentation.

SCCT singleplayer/coop also had  this form of hacking and it was 3rd person as well. The problem there was that the hack screen too a lot of screen space, but this does not have to be the case (as seen in the Blacklight Retribution video). 

If you get the chance to experiment with it, GO FOR  IT.
I am not saying to make hacking exactly the way it is represented in Blacklight Retribution (BLR), but some form Active Hacking like in BLR that will work well with the SvM gameplay. Ideally, the average hacking time would take as long as a usual SCCT VS hack terminal, however players that are more focused/calm/or just better defended with be able to hack faster than average, those that are in a panic will likely take longer (mistakes/hesitation).

I really feel this would not only be an awesome addition, but completes the experience of being a spy hacking a terminal. 

NeoSuperior

Well once we hit a stage were such additions are plausible (that is AFTER a playable version is released, which will still take a while), then I approve of any attempts to implement it. For example first making it a "custom mode" and wait for enough feedback to see if it actually works.

After all the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

We won't know for sure until we try.

- Mike Godwin

Roberto1223

This is an idea that sounds good but its implementation will cause too many complications.
In short, the game would need to be redesigned.

1- Stationary hacking would have to safer for the spy (not as snipe-able as in SCCT):
**This pretty much means that every map would have to be remade.

2- The "minigame" would need to be very very well made or else new issues will arise. For example:

**What will determine the length of the minigame? If it is not randomized enough, or difficult enough then experienced players will hack very very fast and inexperienced players will never even get to begin!

**Would there be penalty for making "mistakes"? (aka jamming every button until the hack is complete). If so, would implementation of such a penalty be worth it in an already quite difficult game? (I think not).

**If minigame length is not affected by player experience due to implemented delays that make it last the same amount of time for everybody who has memorized or made macros of the hacking pattern(s), then again, the minigame will be nothing but a superfluous barrier to noobs and non-macro users.