An idea for "escape moves"

Started by ShadowX, January 26, 2008, 11:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowX

Hello to the community and the developers, i've spent a lot of time reading the forums and decided to contribute something to think about. Came up with this somewhile ago and was kinda developing the idea in my mind.

The game would work as normal, but, when you lets say jump off something and have a ledge (imagine the Clubhouse garden ledge, a spy can fit between the rail and the floor (the underbar parkour move)) you could with, nearly perfect timing, by pressing lets say jump, get a slightly faster way to get over it or in this case you would kick your feets before you, fly thro the space, grab the upper part with your hands to get back onto your feet and continue moving, than just grabbing it and climbing over.

Video Demonstration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1T5QIpvo7k

Same way with the fall of from high up, you press the roll button just the right moment, and you'll perform a roll when you land, making you able to get going faster than waiting to recover from the landing. The vision switching while falling in CT did this, but as it was basicly a glitch and atleast to me felt a bit random on times it wasnt used except amongst the better players.

So basicly, these would work when your being chased or in getting to places fast, but you still have to keep your mind in escaping and focus, if you wont panic and you get the timing right you escape faster, but even a slight miss-calculation on the other hand could cost you too much time, getting you killed.

Video Demonstrations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKI2HwAFfCU, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OnrS3awx4Q

I'll come up with more moves when i get something in my mind.

PS. Don't we have a parkourer / freerunner already ready to help with these kinda stuff? Would make the job easier and he could actually tell how all of these moves work and what would be actually useful for a spy.

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Traceur is the correct word, instead of 'parkourer'.
Having these moves would be awesome, but it would need lots of tweaking.
The underbar could also be used with a 180 mid-air, so you grab the ledge instead of the upper part of the rail, so you could grab the merc almost right after you grab the ledge.
Also, how about adding the most known moves? Like monkey, speed vault (aka king kong), tic-tacs, wallruns etc?
This would even allow showing the time spent by the player ingame, since about half of the moves are just 'buffed up' versions of the simpler moves, like Monkey and the King-Kong, the Tic-tac and the wallrun (vertical). Players having more time spent ingame would get better looking moves, which would itself be a reason to play, to see the spy get better and better.
Having this in mind i suggest you start searching for another animator.  ::)

Test-Subject

Like I said in a previous post... I think that escape moves are a must in PS and the more the better... I think parkour would be a great place to find inspiration

frvge

Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

AgentX_003

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

Xris

what if the spy did an under bar, then flipped around and grabbed the merc with his legs and snapped his neck or flipped him off or something

Farley4Fan

@ fusion:  Good imagination.  Good luck finding an animator even cabable of doing that lol

@ original poster:  I didn't quite read all of it, but I like what I saw so far.  I'll have to think about it more I guess.

Kubanator

Logically, you would roll over it instead of underbar. It's faster, it has less downtime, and looks (IMO) cooler. You would ony do an under bar to grab the ledge.

psyichic

Its a nice idea except that it would only work with specific railings. I would aim for something more like a Kong or a Kash just so that the animation can be used in the case of all the bars.

Gawain

as long as the animations take the same time they do in rl i'm okay with them, but imo only a nice-to-have-feature.
especially a new way to get away faster after landing from a high jump should be considered as it's quite common in ct to use the switch-vision glitch anyways. this way, you could decide if you want to be faster but make a roll or jump precisely.

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Well, jumping precisely from g2 to g1 in ClubHouse would be impossible, since you would atleast hurt yourself badly, so having the roll would save your feet.