Chechnya - goodkebab request

Started by Daybreak, November 28, 2006, 02:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daybreak

Groznyy, Chechenya   2012

For years the war between Chechen Separatists and the Soviets has raged on. The Separatists have managed to secure a factory that is reportedly being used to create “dirty bombs”. High levels of radioactivity of Cobalt-60 have been detected. Neutralizing this threat is of the utmost importance.

The level has a mix of flavors. It looks like an out door map, but all but one objective is inside. The map takes place within a secure wall. The main building consists of two parts: Security Office and Resarch and Development Department. The security room will have two hacks, one to open the coop locations to the factory below. The other disables security within the R&D Lab. The R&DD consists of three floors. Two floors will have two computers that need to be hacked. The other floor has a disk with important documents that can be stolen. Returning the disc to one of the two getaway vans will be crucial.

There are two bombing locations: One is located out side at the gas tank location, the other inside the factory generators below ground. Access to the factory is very limited. Coming in from the stairs of the main building is one point of entry. The other two entry points are high above the factory floor giving spies an advantage when hacking the security office. Blowing up the lower factory will create a giant hole within the compound releasing thick black smoke. In turn Blowing up the giant cylinders outside will create new openings to get into the hidden factory below.

How the map will play, it depends on play style. The map is average in size and will probably play very similarly to Steel Squat and Mount Hospital. Those maps are great because of the close quaters but with plenty of hideaways. It's possible to be stealthy or aggressive depending on the route, and how fast you'd like to complete the map.

Two quick renditions of a possible layout:
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/5286/chechnyaba6.jpg
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6794/chechnya2ps8.jpg

It may not be exactly what you are looking for but again, it's just an idea.

Tinweasele

i obviously am a coder and not a level designer, so my opinion really doesnt count.... you have INFINITE possiblities now and we are still creating stuff similar to original release,  whats wrong with going apeshit crazy and building whatever the hell you want?  Why are we ALWAYS in the same old facility with 3 computers to take out or else bad things happen?  You are quite able to build whatever you want... LITERALLY and we can code specials later, such as monorails and things, heck you could build a city street if you all felt like it.  Not Raggin on you personally daybreak cause level builders are cool, but honestly we are supposed to be doing BETTER than CT.  WTB a new mold.  /rant
Some people say "think outside the box"
I say "fuck them, i want a sphere"

Daybreak

You are right. The possibilities are infinite since we are creating new stuff. We can definitely look into things like that. I mean, I've already designed the city street you mentioned. I just don't have the ability to make the map effectively or have the time. Took me 15 minutes to come up with this scenario, hell it's even based on real facts.

The 3 computer things is also a good point, we could make it something completely different. Maybe instead of hacking a computer, we could interogate a suspect or hostage of somesort. The only problem is it requires more time and programming and I think we are trying to keep it simple.

I'm not completely sure if it's possible to do the things I've suggested. But yes, that map could essentially be made for CT. We'll have to discuss, what exactly will separate Project Stealth from CT other than it's not CT. After we make those decisions, we'd have to stick to 'em like a fat kid and a red smartie.

EDIT: Way back I came up with the idea of making unbalanced maps as game types. By that I mean specific 3vs1 maps for super awesome spies. I think it'd be possible by making the map completely open, with so many paths for the mercs to cover that as long as the spies were good enough could complete the level. It's an idea I had for the pros out there who want a challenge. It'd be like the single player game, but with people rather than AI.

Tinweasele

YAY daybreak:-) i hadnt thought of the 3v1 thing,  see? we can do ANYTHING why the hell should we limit ourselves?

Tinweasele

actually just had another idea for maps, what if for your hostage situation, it was the spies defending instead of the mercs,  perhaps a fast timer game where the mercs have to execute all the hostages before time is up, and the spies have to just slow them down for say 3 min or so.

Vega

Dude, I actually really like this map.  It looks like it could be a classic and has a very solid theme to it.  Really like it, hope it works out!

BTW, tinweasele, I too have been thinking about different possibilities when it comes to objective types.  I wanted to break the mold as well and I'll write that stuff in the general forum.

Daybreak

I think then it would be difficult as spies. Simply because they would be forced to be aggressive, without any lethal weapons. The problem that I see is that Mercs can just throw on their gas mask and keep moving. The map would have to be hard for mercs to travel through and easy and quick for the spies. Plus the game just becomes a shocking game for the spies. If I were a spy, I'd just keep tazing the merc. And that just gets annoying not fun.

I think what you sugested is more like SpyvsSpy. No offence to be made. lol.

Another Idea would be to return to the random lazers in PT, or rather than lazers, have the objectives be randomly placed. That would change strategies for maps on the fly. Could be difficult but a refreshing way to play. Of course they would have to be well thought out and balanced but it would be quite an experience. Especially if you aren't paying attention to your hud.

Or if possible, have the mercs deploy the hack locations. Meaning, as a spy, you would have to do recon, before the assault. Similar to a Search and Destroy game in Call of Duty.

Tinweasele

one of the big changes i want to see is static/dynamic defences.  moving lazer grids, cameras on tracks, etc etc.

goodkebab

Hey Tin, I am also up for something NEW....but then it wouldnt be a clone would it? 

Things we CAN change, easily without compromise to production time or straying from CT guidelines are just as u mentioned:

Security Systems (moving laser grids,,,,etc etc)
What the objective actually is...
Destructable maps (like factory)

Dabreak,  that really helps...the side gives a clue to the visual communist style.  perhaps do an exploding diagram of floor breakdown for modellers?  IE. objective placement, security....stairs, vents.  And please label the different items.

Daybreak

I'm in the process of making a more detailed plan. It was just a quick picture so that you could all take a look and get your impressions. Sadly, I didn't remember that its not enough to get actual information on. So... Hopefully the detailed parts will be available soon enough.

Here's what I based the elevation on:
http://news.softpedia.com/images/news2/O-fabrica-din-Cecenia-o-situatie-radioactiva-catastrofica-2.jpg

goodkebab

This is going in the DA direction....which is certainly not a bad thing.  Zed and Mic are not posting so much so I am taking the initiative here. Ideally we can get an idea and photo referance so they can work together on it.

How level design works is first we need to build the volume of the map.  IE: just the rooms, corridors, stairs, catwalks.

2nd stage will be adding obstacles and vents collision detection.....and at this stage we start play testing for balance.

3rd stage is lighting and fx, we continue play testing.

Daybreak

I'm in the middle of sorting it all out, except I've run into a design problem. It appears that the objectives in the office and R&D might be too close together making it hard/close to impossible to hack without puting the merc asleep. Meaning it might accidentally play like warehouse. I'm slowly making adjustments to make sure they are not too easily guarded by the mercs.

EDIT: I just figured it out! Nice. I'll be making the plans with notes soon. Maybe even include sketches for rooms.