communications...

Started by monterto, August 16, 2007, 04:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monterto

An idea just crossed my mind to make things easier for teams without mics. a system similar to the COM system in BF2 could be implemented where a player holds down a key and a menu pops up in the middle of the screen as long as the button is held, prerecorded messages can be selected with the mouse.

SORRY FOR BIG FILES  :-[
Spy example...

Merc example....
http://sc2sig.com/s/us/329891-1.png[/img][/url]
Click to view my detailed stats![/url]

frvge

Good idea.

Contextual menus can be useful.

I'd classify it as a nice-to-have-feature.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

iservealot

Or what about, if you have this menu that lets you "call out" a voice thing. You can use this to fake the other team into believing what you said. lol

Nitro

I really do not understand why this would be needed, the game have open mics at all times right?

Might be useful for some of those who do not dare or have a microphone but a part of the game is that it should be teamplay and having mics give a advantage.

Promoting non microphone usage might not be the way to go.

frvge

You'll always have an edge if you have a mic. However, it's annoying to use team-chat all the time.

Instead of promoting non-mic usage, I'd say it's a hint that with a mic, communications are easier/better.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Overstatement

It should be a 'natural' advantage. Not a man-made advantage because the developers built a gap between micies and non-micies. In fact, micies would probably appreciate this. You pair two micies in a pub server and they will usually win without challenge.

monterto

There is no way this gives you an advantage over a microphone, you still need to stop to send the message just not as long, plus it's more vague than giving information with your mic. the only way this would giva an advantage is if you couldn't hack coms and hear it.
http://sc2sig.com/s/us/329891-1.png[/img][/url]
Click to view my detailed stats![/url]

Bionic-Blob

hack comms should (hopefully will) include text and stuff like this

Farley4Fan

Absolutely yes.  Although whatever game I play that has this, it seems as though the player is an NPC who uses this feature.   Not a big deal it is just kind of funny.  " enemy down " or " enemy located " sound like really computer generated.  IF you are going to make this feature, try to make the phrases a little less robotic.  " I found a spy " or " He's got my neck ", make them a little more human.

Spekkio

I actually like this idea a lot, but it'd have to be a little less intrusive on the screen. Something like CS's auto-voice system with common commands/sayings that people would use popping up in the lower left or right corner. Stuff including, but not limited to "They're both here!" "Come help me in XXX" (game detects your position automatically and transmits it) and "I'm cammed" would be very helpful. I don't think you need to hear these on hack comms since you can't hack teamsay on hack comms, and these would be the most commonly used teamsay/mic phrases.

This would be extremely useful for people who don't have mics, or people who are too shy/not in the mood to actually talk to their teammates. Not only that, but hitting a two hotkeys to say "cammed" is better than hitting f6 and typing it out. Overall, it would make the game much more user/pub friendly, which is a good thing.

Tidenburg

Shadow runs system would be good where the woman says "Need backup" then where they are and a flashing icon appears on the hud.

Gawain

i'd prefer the bf layout over the cs one, its more intuitiv, you only need one key and a quick mouse movement. the messages should be customisable.

HeroFromHyrule

I like this idea, and while I myself would prefer the layout to be the way it is presented in the screenshots, I can see people wanting it Spekkio's way instead.  Perhaps an option to choose between the two?

Also, as for Spekkio's idea of having the game detect your position to broadcast it to your teammate when saying certain phrases, this should be very easy to do as I know things like this are already done in UT.