The Assault Rifle Discussion

Started by Farley4Fan, December 24, 2007, 10:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawain

there are more people on the dev crew XD
this is one of the many reasons why i think someone should be responsible for the whole gameplay/balance decisions...

Westfall

It was already stated that all 3 weapons will still be included in a modified manner.

BurningDeath

Quote from: Gawain on December 25, 2007, 07:26:56 PM
this is one of the many reasons why i think someone should be responsible for the whole gameplay/balance decisions...
Which is actually a really bad idea, because in that case, the whole game would turn into the game the responsible person would like to have. I would prefer a team thinking and reasoning about the important gameplay/balance issues. Multiple eyes always see more than one pair does.

Westfall

Quote from: BurningDeath on December 25, 2007, 07:43:16 PM
Quote from: Gawain on December 25, 2007, 07:26:56 PM
Which is actually a really bad idea, because in that case, the whole game would turn into the game the responsible person would like to have. I would prefer a team thinking and reasoning about the important gameplay/balance issues. Multiple eyes always see more than one pair does.

How right you are. Unfortunately there are several people who are close-minded about certain topics. Then it turns into a flame war, etc.

P.S. its out of our (your) hands unless your on the dev team. How many times has already stated this? They would have to pick this "team" regardless, which could just end up being the dev team again. Nice suggestion, but it cannot be one person in charge of what they consider to be "balanced".

Gawain

the funny thing is, there are some heavy arguments in favor of a one weapon system. the only point against it i can remember was "rifle doesn't suit my playstile".

BurningDeath

Quote from: Westfall-US on December 26, 2007, 04:58:07 AM
P.S. its out of our (your) hands unless your on the dev team. How many times has already stated this? They would have to pick this "team" regardless, which could just end up being the dev team again. Nice suggestion, but it cannot be one person in charge of what they consider to be "balanced".
ow .. with "team" i was meaning the whole, already assembled dev-team, of course. ;)

@ Gawain: What would those heavy arguments in favor of a one weapon system be?

Pro 3 weapon system:
+ variation
+ the CT style weapon system is already quite balanced (imo)
+ no "one for all" rifle, but different ones, with their own benefits and drawbacks
+ one more option to change your equipment to suit your opponents

"rifle doesnt suit my playstyle" is actually rather pro 3 weapons, because you can just switch to uzi or shotgun.

Gawain

one weapon makes balancing of the weapon, maps, gadgets, moves etc 100000times easier.
the shotty is pretty pointless for good players, especially with a balanced tazer. so the question is, do we really want a spam weapon (uzi) with less tactical weak points than the rifle?

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Well, you can make uzi a balanced and not spam weapon, since it's NOT ct.
Uzi should be hard to aim, do little damage, but have the (spray and forget) advantage.
Even when that is done, i don't think it will outpower rifle, since it has snipe.

BurningDeath

Quote from: Gawain on December 26, 2007, 05:04:44 PM
one weapon makes balancing of the weapon, maps, gadgets, moves etc 100000times easier.
the shotty is pretty pointless for good players, especially with a balanced tazer. so the question is, do we really want a spam weapon (uzi) with less tactical weak points than the rifle?
I don't get how the shotgun is pointless, you're very well able to surprise the opposing team by bringing it, on the right map, with the right partner, of course.

Gawain

you won't be able to surprise a good spy in close (= effective shotty range) very often. you also can't really cover more than one objective with it. shotty is rather useful in situations like failed quick cams, getting rid of a spy that covers his mate for too long or anticipating a spy that tries to taze you (stupid situation anyways). if you really want to keep the shotty, it needs a serious boost. you should consider that 2 rifle bullets in the head kill a spy with full health, and about 2 or 3 (can't remember exactly) uzi shots do the same. the reason why good players don't play with uzi that much is the lag bs it causes and the unsmooth mouse implementation (especially with no fps unlock), definitely not for the reason that sniper is the uba-weapon.

Cyntrox

The shotgun is superior if the spies are aggroing - one shot and they're dead, up close.

And that the rifle doesn't suit someone's playstyle is a quite heavy argument: The game should be playable in many different ways.

Gawain

it is already playable in many different ways. for competitive play you need something to rely on, like which weapon the mercs are using (compare to SS). what i don't like is gadget guessing games. flashbangs, chaff etc can be balanced way better with a one weapon sys.

one of the many problems of a three weapon sys is the fact that on some maps uzi will have almost no weak points, and on other maps shotty will be redundant. it's not like "i'm that type of player, so i take A/B/C", it's rather "oh we're playing on map A/B/C so i'll take C".

overall, i would be happy both with a balanced 1 or 3 weapon system, bu i think the later is very hard to accomplish. gameplay variety isn't that much of a reason with many more balanced gadgets available like tazer, camo, etc

InvisibleMan999

What about if we made extra weapons a gadget. So you get one gun for free, but if you want, you can take others instead of a gadget. So you could go rifle/shotgun if you wanted, and you could swap out your weapon (like in most FPS games) while you're moving. That'd allow us to make the weapons a bit more specialized.

Farley4Fan

That sounds interesting.  Like in COD4 I take a an uzi as my backup to my sniper (golden dragonuv, badass).  But the downside is that it costs me one of my perks to be able to take the uzi.  The upside is that I can atleast defend myself at close range. 

frvge

Sounds overpowered to me.

Unless taking 2 guns negatively affects both in some way. Lower ROF for uzi or more spread, less damage for the sniper or more time before you are in snipe-mode, and lower capacity for shotty.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.