Forums > Public Discussion

from a long time SvM fan to Project Stealth developers.

<< < (3/4) > >>

frvge:
Neo, I appreciate the idea of "just" having donations, but if 100 people donate, it's still only a drop in the bucket. I think I can expect about 200 euros in donations. It's just not worth the effort setting it up.

I hoped that the community could get 5000 euros together as a good start. 800 likes on FB, 200 newsletter subscriptions, 100 followers on twitter and some followers on indiedb. Then the media coverage could build on that. Now, of course the media were a big let down.

Based on the stats, the community got like a couple hundred euros together. I can't run a business on that.I'm disappointed at all levels. Things didn't go as planned, but given the financial situation of having 0 budget, there's not much else I could have done.

VenomousNinja:
Why do you NEED donations, anyway? Why do you NEED a kickstarter? It'd be easier to start out with something playable, and then get funding for the rest, instead of focusing so much on the money aspect when it's been seven years in development hell and there's never been a playable version made public ever.

NeoSuperior:

--- Quote from: VenomousNinja on June 30, 2014, 11:30:36 AM ---Why do you NEED donations, anyway? Why do you NEED a kickstarter? It'd be easier to start out with something playable, and then get funding for the rest, instead of focusing so much on the money aspect when it's been seven years in development hell and there's never been a playable version made public ever.

--- End quote ---

It's a devil's circle... they cannot make a playable version because they need money for that and at the same time, they cannot make money because there is no playable version... Is the only way really to find some rich investor who gives a lot of funding?

Ok, should I become somewhat rich in the next 10-15 years, I will be funding PS by myself  ;D (well... I doubt I alone would just give 90.000€ away like that, even if I had the money, but hey maybe 10.000€ or something!)

But honestly, frvge: How would the situation be now, if you decided to stay with UDK instead of upgrading to UE4? As I understand it, most of the 7 sever years of development were basically porting from mod, to mod, to udk indie, to ue4 indie. How much gameplay progress do you think you would have had by now?

frvge:
Our UDK version was way too buggy because it was made without a clear system and the big gaps in productivity didn't help in making a consistent codebase.

The best way forward was a rewrite. Having access to UE4 made it a no-brainer to do that in UE4 and C++. Sure, we would need to port Lakehouse, but that level could use a graphical update too by that time.

Development in UE4 is a lot faster and a lot more powerful. We were limited in our visions because everything had to be a model. We couldn't change the texture of BSP (plain walls and floors and ceilings) in UDK on the fly.

So, we need funding to pay a programmer for a few months and then it's done. Maybe we can get it to a playable, but very rough, pre-alpha state for 5000 euros. Which is still twice the amount we got from the Kickstarter.

RaDRoacH:
Are you still going to gamescom?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version