"What artists/programmers are proud of"-thread

Started by frvge, November 25, 2010, 01:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unskilled

Cronky

That looks much slicker with the whole thing rendered with textures and whatnot.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

SteveTheCookie

Quote from: frvge on November 26, 2010, 07:37:19 PM
And the next thing.

A video from comicsserg who has been working on new animations and tweaking older ones.
This is a render from the latest neckbreak with a ragdoll effect in Maya (which didn't really turn out the way we wanted, but meh)

Neckbreak anim
Woah, cool. And I like the music.

Farley4Fan

Very cool. A pleasant surprise for the day haha

zglina

falling merc is...weird ;/ change that! This part of animation suck.

comicsserg

it's just to let you know that after break the ragdoll will be added, now it's done with maya, the actual ragdoll will be performed in engine so it will be much better.

zglina

Good to know :) Now im waiting for open-beta x)

DreadStunLock

By the way has anyone experienced some weird bug upon a neckbreak where you grab a mercenary, and as you neck snap him, he like moves 10 feet to the side and he just warps around you till you actually let go of him? Any idea what that is? and what are the chances of that happening in PS, not saying it will, but the codingis probably similiar to CT, I don't know.

frvge

Below the line are the entries of Kon Artist (level designer) and Binary (modeler, environmental art/modeler) for Asylum.

--------------------------------------------

Entrance Concept Art
Modeled Art

The biggest challenge in the map was capturing the mood and feel of an old asylum.  As you can see, there are changes from the current 3D render of the entrance room compared to the concept that I did during the summer.  As Binary and I conducted more research on metal hospitals during the 1950's we made changes to the textures of the room.  The layout of the map hasn't changed drastically from the original blue print.  But the visual look of the environment has.

Before the additional study took place, the current concepts had rich textures that became very busy and distracting within the game space. As it turned out, Asylums or mental hospitals were painted to cover repeating textures, such as wood, because they would mess with people that had mental illnesses such as schizophrenia.

So not only did this better set the mood of the map, but it also helped in unifying the map. We wanted the textures to focus on dirt and grunge, a run down place, and this idea mixed well with having less busy wall patterns and floors.  Also a game that relies on lights and shadows, overcomplicated textures would take away from the core gameplay element: light and shadows.

So the textures and changes in short were are result of this:

Map theme needed to feel more authentic and real;
Busy textures and too many different textures became distracting to the players.
Simplifying textures helped put the focus back on the core gameplay element, light and shadows.

Kon Artist and Binary.

----------------------------

Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

DreadStunLock

This is really phenomenal, that what I was talking about the light balance, the comparison of the previous has it's light a bit too much of dark, this one has just correct.

AgentX_003

Quote from: DreadStunLock on November 27, 2010, 07:59:36 PM
This is really phenomenal, that what I was talking about the light balance, the comparison of the previous has it's light a bit too much of dark, this one has just correct.

has the right amount :/ ?  i believe," has just correct " does not make sense in the modern world

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

DreadStunLock

Anyway back on topic, what I mean by the right amount of lightning is the fact that most of the maps are always pitch black and the map makers are very scared of putting light somewhere and thinking it's going to be overpowered, look at Clarity soft, tons of lights and open lighted areas.

comicsserg

VaNilla

Judging by the quality so far, I would seriously buy this if it were on Steam :)