OMG where's the new stuff?

Started by frvge, July 12, 2011, 10:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cronky

I'm liking all of this so far.

What might be a solution to this that doesn't QUITE solve the "Why not drag him to the door?" issue is that you simply have to hold the Merc (Drag style). Eventually the Merc dies, or passes out (forget which one happens) if you hold them long enough anyway. Why not just make that time spent holding, and the eventual KO be the "hacking" portion of this? That way you have the three options you just said, but you, as a spy, are still able to do something (move). The risk is that you are heavily slowed down while holding them, but in the case of an unfortunately placed grab, you'd at least be able to maneuver a little bit.

Again, the reason why it doesn't work with Neck Breaks is because once the Merc dies, the codes get locked down.

I'm kinda getting off the beaten path of why you shouldn't just KO, but then again if your partner just hacked a Keycode and you just got a Merc you'd still have to KO (whether or not you hold out and hack, or not is up to you) so that his hack didn't get denied. So there is a little bit of teamwork involved in all this.

Also, just to clarify, only the Spy that hacked would be able to open doors temporarily. So there wouldn't be any "Oh, my teammate hacked a Merc across the map and now I have free rein over here".
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

Farley4Fan

I think the merc would actually choke and die if you held him long enough.  The only problem I can think of regarding the "hold2hack" idea is that communications can't really be blocked in the PC version due to the 3rd party programs we talked about earlier.  The merc will just tell his teammate what is up.  You'd be losing some precious time and it's basically just 1v1 - your mate versus the other merc.

In any case, especially by adding a 3rd option, we are avoiding the regular ole KO move and why the spy should use it - like you said. 

If one of the pro's to using the KO is that it releases the merc quicker, then would it even be worth making it longer just to get this keycode?  We are basically removing one pro, just to give it another pro - albeit a bigger pro.

I'm starting to think that it needs to retain its quickness in order to separate itself from the neckbreak.

I have another idea that just may be crazy enough to work, so try to stay with me lol

Say we give the spy 3 options when he has a merc grabbed.  Neck break, KO, and hack. 

The neck break and KO can be used in conjunction with the hack option. 

The hack option would be a quick 2-3 second scan.  When completed, the spy would still be holding onto the merc.  Both spies then have access to the doors for a certain amount of time unless the spy breaks the mercs neck.  Upon the death of the merc, the doors are shut and can only be opened by the living mercenary.  This would promote teamwork.  The spy can break the merc's neck after his teammate gets through the door if he wishes, but lock himself out in the process.  The spy could hack the merc, knock him out, and then have enough time to make a break for a door.

The hack can also do other things.  We can maybe combine it with the hacking communications move that we both love oh so much. 

And maybe, just maybe, this hack move would only be possible with the hacking glove    ;D

Cronky

The communication concern you have is legit, but then again, regardless of KO or Neck Break the Mercs will be telling each other what's going down when they rightfully shouldn't be able to talk. Not that that helps the idea, but it's a constant obstacle to deal with.

I agree that it seems like the more we try to develop this idea, the more it's ruining the whole aspect of what the KO was originally. What I like about the hold2hack dealio though is that while it MAY not get more people to use KO on purpose, it does force them into using it if they want a benefit. KO already has given benefits, and holding them to death was more for humiliation purposes, but now it would have something more to it. Still isn't what we began this discussion with though, which was giving KO a reason to be used more often.

I'm hesitant to agree on the new idea you mentioned though. I find the idea of opening up ALL the doors a little too much. Not that I think it'll be ABUSED too much, but because I think it would be unfair to the Mercs (the one that's still alive at least). When you, as a spy, open a door up from the backside for your Merc partner, then that means you two are in close contact. That's the risk, while the reward is that you gave your teammate a shortcut. Doing something like on say, Def Tech, where you could grab someone outside, hack, and open the A, B, AND C doors wouldn't give the other Merc ANY idea where the other Spy MAY be.

Also I don't quite understand how hacking a Merc unlocks doors not nearby. A small detail, but it popped in my head.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------

zglina

hey what with "1-2 screenshots per week"?

NeoSuperior

If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

AgentX_003

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

frvge

Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

LennardF1989

Good News Everyone!

September UDK has just been released and has official Mac support!

You may now scream - although I do not have a Mac!

DreadStunLock

Quote from: LennardF1989 on September 20, 2011, 09:53:58 AM
Good News Everyone!

Disgusting...

knooger

Quote from: LennardF1989 on September 20, 2011, 09:53:58 AM
Good News Everyone!

Question is:
Why we should care about srack support?

LennardF1989

Because in the beginning of time there were discussions whether PS would run on Mac or not, that's why.

frvge

Well, we can't guarantee that it works yet, until we've tried it... but the fact that it's an OPTION is really cool.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

AgentX_003

Quote from: frvge on September 20, 2011, 11:55:17 PM
Well, we can't guarantee that it works yet, until we've tried it... but the fact that it's an OPTION is really cool.

just like putting PS on ones cell phone is possible too because UDK has supported it from the very earliest release as well.

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

Cronky

I would seriously like to see the plan that would have to make to make this game possible on a phone.

Not like, "Heeeeey... It's just a little different programming/scaling stuff down (a lot)", but like... How would this game work in both gameplay and functionality on a phone? How would you map the controls so that they would fit on a screen so small (taking in the fact that not all phones have a physical keyboard)? What gameplay limitations would have to be put in?

I'm excited to hear that Mac support is possible, as the game was meant for PC's and this only makes it have a broader base of potential players, but then again... I'd be excited about an unrendered screenshot of the left ass cheek of the Merc. So take that as you will. ;)
-----------------------