3d Enviroment Artist / Prop Artist

Started by Daniel Doerksen, November 06, 2009, 08:40:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frvge

Actually it's a fairly large cone-camera for the Mercs. I think it should look pretty new. Maybe less metallish and more plastic, but goodkebab knows best about that.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Daniel Doerksen

im gonna have a good chunk of time free today. does this thing have to have that set colour scheme? i kinda wanna do it in mainly black with white text and red and white accent striping in some areas

frvge

If you can make it according to the Concept Art first, and then apply some Photoshop filters to get your black-and-white version so we can compare, that's ok I think.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

LennardF1989

Let the guy work out his own idea, frvge. Perhaps it's something completely awesome.

Zedblade

Quote from: Daniel Doerksen on November 11, 2009, 05:59:19 PM
im gonna have a good chunk of time free today. does this thing have to have that set colour scheme? i kinda wanna do it in mainly black with white text and red and white accent striping in some areas

concept art was provided for a reason. Stick to the concept art.

Quote from: LennardF1989 on November 11, 2009, 07:06:41 PM
Let the guy work out his own idea, frvge. Perhaps it's something completely awesome.

Maybe, but that's not the point. It's a test to see how well he can do something from concept.

Quote from: MR.Mic on November 10, 2009, 12:37:39 AM
Quote from: Zedblade on November 09, 2009, 10:06:23 PM
Quote from: frvge on November 09, 2009, 09:57:38 PM
Of course, if you can find a way to make it look good at less than 4000 with a clever normal map, then go for that :).
I've never ever heard anyone ever refer to polycount as only being the amount of quads... well other then Max users.
Really? Because face count and triangle count are clearly distinct in Maya's stats display.

Yes, but my point was that the word polygons is synonymous with triangle count, the word faces are not. In the industry, 100 polygons is the same as 100 tris. No one I've ever worked with as been confused about that. Only Max users seem to associate Polygons to mean only Quads. I assume that's because where Maya says Faces (which makes more sense and is less confusing) Max says Polygons.

Daniel Doerksen

i use max. i can use maya but i prefer max. so if you say max users seem to get that confused. then me asking to make sure is a very vaild thing to do. right? really doesnt matter eitherway, my personality is its best not to assume.

model is almost done

Daniel Doerksen

here the model is
http://danieldoerksen.deviantart.com/art/Camera-Concept-143339958

currently sitting at 2900tris
2048 diffuse/spec/normal/gloss

if everythings ok, and u want to use this model. im going to optimize the camera since its hardly seen. and i should be able to get the model down to 2200-2300. and i will then reduce texture size to on spec to 1024 and gloss to 512.

LennardF1989

I dont think it will be hard to port over to Maya for rigging, right?

frvge

The camera is about as big as an old CRT. Maybe even a bit bigger. So it's pretty big :) There's no need to bring poly count down I think.

Daniel Doerksen

LennardF1989

Quote from: Daniel Doerksen on November 12, 2009, 07:38:24 PM
no problem max to maya is simple
Good, just finish it in Max and then we'll see about the possibilities to rig it.

Daniel Doerksen

so whats the next step. is this model up 2 your standards?

frvge

I think it is, but I'm mostly a programmer. I'll have our Art Director comment on it :).

goodkebab

Still need to have that gloss map so that the metal looks different from the glass.  and make sure the glow map is black and white.   We will not need the "cone" u used for the red glow,  this will be handled with the engine.

In general its great,  I dont think we need to nit pick because this asset will never be seen  this close in game.  Its usually high up on a well where a player can never get to close.