My Sketchbook

Started by tigaer, April 23, 2010, 04:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigaer

Practicing mountains and using some new brushes I made. I likey.

Farley4Fan

VaNilla

That is insane tigaer, looks awesome :)

grajjio

Can you make a tutorial how you do these kind of sketches? I would love to learn!

tigaer

WIP

Currently just a few hours in. First time painting a human face. You win the internets if you can guess who it is from the brief WIP I have so far... even though her eyes still need some work lol.

tigaer

Also, on the subject of tutorials; once I get a little more practice time in on this tablet and am comfortable with my style, I'll start recording speed paintings (basically a 2-3 hour painting sped up to finish in under 10 mins) and putting them up on youtube, so I'll be posting those when I've entered that stage.

Farley4Fan

I would say Amanda Peet but those eyebrows aren't bushy enough.

Hillary Clinton is my guess.

Jazz_117

Some good stuff here tigaer.

Just curious, what do you sketch with?

tigaer

Quote from: Jazz_117 on August 01, 2010, 02:35:47 PM
Some good stuff here tigaer.

Just curious, what do you sketch with?

Photoshop CS5 and my TouchSmart TX2 tablet.

Jazz_117

Quote from: tigaer on August 02, 2010, 06:54:56 AM
I use Photoshop CS4 and an Intous 4 tablet.

My sketches tend to always be B&W and I render in a semi realistic cross Anime style.
I should try making some sketches like yours, it looks very 'practical' - for lack of a better word.

tigaer

Quote from: Jazz_117 on August 03, 2010, 07:32:32 AM
Quote from: tigaer on August 02, 2010, 06:54:56 AM
I use Photoshop CS4 and an Intous 4 tablet.

My sketches tend to always be B&W and I render in a semi realistic cross Anime style.
I should try making some sketches like yours, it looks very 'practical' - for lack of a better word.

I'd love to see some of your work. I guess it looks more practical because I'm painting it how I would do a painting on paper; start with a sketch, then paint over starting with midtones and then adding shadows and highlights as I go. My brush settings are; opacity: 60-70, flow: 40. For the hard edged brush I use pressure sens set to size with opacity off, and for soft brushes I use pressure sens set to opacity with size off. For this I'm starting with a rough blocking in of colors with a hard edged brush, then painting over that with the airbrush to smooth out all the shades and give it a more airbrushed look. That's just the process I'm using for this though, I haven't really found a set style yet.

Also, I keep my left hand on 'ctrl' at all times to select new tones with the eyedropper tool for blending. Ctrl is a shortcut for it if you didn't already know that, which you probably do haha.

Jazz_117

Heres a project I've been working on over at the official SCC forum: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5271091065/m/7221051568

For outlines and straight flat colours I use a hard brush with 100 opacity\flow.  For shading I use a soft edge Multiply brush type with about 50 opacity\flow and for highlights I use a Soft-Light brush-type with same O\F as shading.  Occasionally vary my brush edge types and opacity for different affects but as of yet I'm still developing my techniques.

I don't often use the keyboard when I've got the graphics pad because Intuos4 have buttons on the side of the tablet for the most common tasks.
Look here 8): http://terrywhite.com/techblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/intuos4.jpg

I'm planning on joining Deviant Art sooner then later, but I'd like to wait until I have a little more time to expand my virtual art collection.  See, I've only been drawing on the computer for a few months - most of my work is only on paper.

tigaer

Quote from: Jazz_117 on August 03, 2010, 09:41:11 AM
Heres a project I've been working on over at the official SCC forum: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5271091065/m/7221051568

For outlines and straight flat colours I use a hard brush with 100 opacity\flow.  For shading I use a soft edge Multiply brush type with about 50 opacity\flow and for highlights I use a Soft-Light brush-type with same O\F as shading.  Occasionally vary my brush edge types and opacity for different affects but as of yet I'm still developing my techniques.

I don't often use the keyboard when I've got the graphics pad because Intuos4 have buttons on the side of the tablet for the most common tasks.
Look here 8): http://terrywhite.com/techblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/intuos4.jpg

I'm planning on joining Deviant Art sooner then later, but I'd like to wait until I have a little more time to expand my virtual art collection.  See, I've only been drawing on the computer for a few months - most of my work is only on paper.

Looks great bro. The reason why your drawings look as you put it 'less practical' is because you've kept your linework on top. I paint over my linework, so it gives it a realistic approach, rather than an anime-like look. Very impressive character design though, I like it a lot. I've only been using my tablet for a few months as well, but I've been doing digital art since I was like 11 (I used to make fan Dragonball Z trading cards back then hahaha) so I've been using Photoshop for as long as I can remember. Although, I also do have a strong traditional art background.

Jazz_117

I started out scribbling stick figures with magic markers, LoL.

I do like the Anime-like look, it's very stylish IMO.  And I feel that it suits my speciality, female character designs.
But yeah, I'll try some more realistic renders.  It's always fun to experiment.

Something I really like about your drawings are the 3D environments - I've never been overly good in that area, your work is quite inspirational.

While on the subject of inspiration, check out the CGsociety: (if you havenââ,¬â,,¢t already) http://www.cgsociety.org/

EDIT: I just noticed that you said this is the first time painting a face.  Hereââ,¬â,,¢s a couple of tips that help me: make sure the shadows are strong in colour, particularly red and add a touch of blue or green to the brightest highlights.
Also, it looks good so far, but I have no idea who it is.  Goodluck

It seems 3Ds Max is another interest we share.  Ever want any tips just ask me, I know quite a bit and my brother is a super freak so if I don't know I can ask him. ;D

Farley4Fan

QuoteEDIT: I just noticed that you said this is the first time painting a face.  Hereââ,¬â,,¢s a couple of tips that help me: make sure the shadows are strong in colour, particularly red and add a touch of blue or green to the brightest highlights.
Also, it looks good so far, but I have no idea who it is.  Goodluck

It's Hillary Clinton.

You also need to make sure that the eye in the shadows still glistens a bit.  Eyes are shiny even when there is no light shining on them.