[General] Applauding/Smiting

Started by LennardF1989, June 19, 2011, 02:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennardF1989

I want to remind you guys about some things regarding applauding/smiting. As you can read here: http://community.projectstealthgame.com/forums/index.php?topic=2951.msg61203, karma has been added to the forums just a few days ago and I am already seeing forms of abuse (Dread being in -22 and Agent being in +17). I would like to remind you guys, as stated in the aforementioned topic, that ANY form of abuse will result in a global server ban (and also a ban in-game once PS is released). We can see exactly who gave who an applaud/smite on which topic.

Other than that, I feel the karma-option should be disabled in the off-topic section, as it should represent how you are in the serious topics, not the non-sense ones.

Lennard

Tidenburg

The only options I see are to remove it or deal with it.

We can't spam applauds/smites because it's 1 per day. If I see someone make a post that's stupid, I smite them. No offence to dread, but does it really surprise you, Lennard, that 22 people have seen a stupid post of his and smited it?  :o

Also, I think a serverwide ban for what is essentially a number which means nothing is pretty harsh. Especially as what is 'abuse', ie worth smiting and not worth smiting, is completely subjective. |:

Spark Mandriller

I think real abuse would be telling people they can't approve of/dislike Agent/Dread.

DreadStunLock

Quote from: Tidenburg on June 19, 2011, 03:02:58 PM
The only options I see are to remove it or deal with it.

We can't spam applauds/smites because it's 1 per day. If I see someone make a post that's stupid, I smite them. No offence to dread, but does it really surprise you, Lennard, that 22 people have seen a stupid post of his and smited it?  :o

Also, I think a serverwide ban for what is essentially a number which means nothing is pretty harsh. Especially as what is 'abuse', ie worth smiting and not worth smiting, is completely subjective. |:

A) It's 1 hour
B) Agent posts just the same amount of crap as me if you look at it from your perspective, not to mention how many times he got bashed by the developers themselves, so by your point of view, his smite count should be over 9000.

LennardF1989

It does not surprise me, as Dread did make stupid posts in the past. Just find it questionable that agent has +17, as most of the time you guys just laugh into his face when it comes to his punctuation-less near-unreadable posts.

Just a general warning as the topic where frvge mentioned this, seems to be removed.

@Sullen Plummet: On the contrary, I love the karma system as it affects peoples e-penises, with -22 on Dread, it gives him stuff to think about. I even think the ratio should be calculated so you can try to keep a ratio above 1.0 :P Almost like a private torrent tracker, yay.

@Dread: you can give 1 karma/hour (no matter who you give it to), but 1 karma/per person per 24 hour.

Spark Mandriller

Y'know, it's fine for you to love the karma system, but threatening to permaban people from the game for abusing just because you don't think Agent could really be that popular is kinda weird. And scary.

LennardF1989

Quote from: Sullen Plummet on June 19, 2011, 03:21:50 PM
Y'know, it's fine for you to love the karma system, but threatening to permaban people from the game for abusing just because you don't think Agent could really be that popular is kinda weird. And scary.
As said, it's a warning in general and it wasn't meant to be threatening, if you smite/applaud like Tidenburg says there is nothing to be afraid about and you shouldn't even feel threatened as that's not abusive behavior. With abusive behavior you should think about having smurf-accounts to smite/applaud people/yourself. We also never said anything about perma-banning, the server ban is just an inconvenience coming from the fact we'll only have one server to do PS stuff (including the serverlist).

A better option than karma, would be "reputation", as they do on the Steam forums. You can only go up, never down. If you have 0 reputation, it simply means not a lot of people agree with your statements.

Ze link: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1129

DreadStunLock

(Plus) even if it was a perma-ban, it will make people think twice, I got banned once for 3 days it wasn't pretty :P

P.S:

Tidenburg

What you just described, Dread, was post-weight. Post weight sucks because it means people with unpopular opinions just get really bad ratings. Karma is (or is at least meant to be) an indication of a user's post quality overall.

DreadStunLock

Maybe make a somekind of an option and tag it as an opinion? I know it may sound dumb that the community will have to tag their posts as what it is because apparantely a lot of people in here can't distinguish an opinion from a fact.

frvge

Tidenburg is correct.
You can say that posts make up quality for the user, but I want to stimulate users making quality posts. So that's the other way around. In the end, the post quality should increase (unless the average user doesn't mind having a negative karma).
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Cronky

If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

DreadStunLock

frvge

And dread got owned again. Harhar
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

DreadStunLock

Make a coding, if you smite Frvgeministrators or Production Team you get a smite back 10 times more.

FRVGE SMITED CRONKY!