New Gadget Idea: Advanced Intel

Started by tigaer, March 23, 2012, 08:03:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigaer

Hey, had a thought today while working on PS (I know, right?! I'm actually putting some time in the project!) and I was thinking... what if there was a 'gadget' -- the reason I put the word in single quotation marks, is because it wouldn't be an actual selectable gadget in the inventory, but rather a gadget activated at all times. It would allow you to see the gadget selection of the enemy team, displayed on the HUD, as well as the number of each item they have left in their inventory. I think it would bring new strategies to the table, being able to see, as a spy, if the number of mines in their inventory has changed, and base your moves on the newly placed mines near the enemies current location. As well as being able to justify, more easily due to a low inventory count, simply knocking out a mercenary instead of going straight for a neck break. I'm going to cut this short and allow a little discussion, since I haven't seen some good discussion in awhile of these forums. So get at it. What do you think?

Pusianka

Well... I actually liked this part about counting the stuff the enemy used and I personally wouldn't find it so useful. However its interesting, let's see what others say.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHa_jqxnn4o

"- It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
- Hit it."

frvge

I think it's overpowered. PS is IMO a so-called 'blind' game: you don't know the exact status of the opponent. Compare chess, which is open, to stratego.
If it would be an extension of the heartbeat sensor, then maybe, but only if it has a really bad counterpart, like only being able to use it for 3 secs every minute.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

DreadStunLock

Would be nice to have a mine tag option or a gadget sub ability to tag placed mines that would appear on the a radar once you lock on to them, and the tag would dissapear once the mine is removed and re placed.

VaNilla

No, keeping track of this information by yourself is very important. It makes for more diverse gameplay. By spoon feeding that information to the opposition the game becomes much more predictable, which is a bad thing.

NeoSuperior

How about this ability draining the full energy bar? That would limit its use by:

1. Not being able to use Taze/Camo right before it.
2. Not being able to use Taze/Camo after it.

and maybe we could add in, that for 5 seconds you can not use any spy visions.

---

Of course we could just include the "Gadget-Trojan" into the Spy Bullet.
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

VaNilla

Why add it in the first place if it makes the gameplay worse? Find good ideas, not ways to shoehorn in bad ones (no offense tigaer).

DreadStunLock

I am actually still freaked out by the idea of not being able to chaff through the walls....

Mercenaries reduced hearing...

No MT sillhouttes...jesus...

Speaking of which, what about the ability to run to a mine, and run back and not die from the damage? You know the aggressive mine disables? Can we have that removed too?

frvge

No, that's directly related to the mine first beeping before it explodes. We can make it instant, but that removes the fun.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

CurdyMilk

I agree with the others on this one.  Trying to remember of the opponent's inventory is part of the mystery and fun.  Keep it the way it is.

tigaer

So, you guys don't think sacrificing a gadget slot for something like this would be a sufficient sacrifice for the ability to simply view the enemies inventory, when most of the games there is a sort of 'stock inventory', atleast on the mercenary side that everybody uses anyways? I personally feel that it would be map, and game style specific, much like the HBS. Anyways, I like the discussion. Keep it coming.

DreadStunLock

Whenever I played SCCT, I would always have a chart, everytime a nade was shot, I'd just dot it, and it's easier to remember ;)

VaNilla

Quote from: tigaer on March 24, 2012, 07:50:07 AM
So, you guys don't think sacrificing a gadget slot for something like this would be a sufficient sacrifice for the ability to simply view the enemies inventory, when most of the games there is a sort of 'stock inventory', atleast on the mercenary side that everybody uses anyways? I personally feel that it would be map, and game style specific, much like the HBS. Anyways, I like the discussion. Keep it coming.

That's true, but I don't see what it adds to the game. I don't see how showing the enemy's inventory makes the game better, for me it would just remove a level of skill from the game. Imagine adding that in a game like Counter Strike, people would go nuts, especially the competitive community. Not knowing whether the enemy has a flashbang in CSS can be the difference between taking a risky strategy or playing it safe, the same would apply here. Losing that would harm the gameplay in my opinion.

Spark Mandriller

I don't think you should get told what items the other team even has, let alone how many of them they have left.

knooger

It should not be possible to mark mines. I even can't imagine that big icon infront of me which will show proxy over the corner.
After some time you know all standard mines by heart - no need to hear them to avoid them (:

And it just came to my head right now - will be merc laser visible and it will feature spy marking ? I think due to that you could see whole laser in ct without thermal vision this feature was useless.

Seriously it's easy to count every single gadget of enemy team if needed.

btw. Do you remember map view in ct during matches ?
What about being able to open something like this and draw simple lines that your mate will see on his map ?
Ofcourse it makes u visible on emf and it takes 1-1.5 seconds to open and close it.

Too bad many custom maps in CT haven't got this so it might be useless in PS too, if mapper will not add map image.