How hard will it be to create custom maps for PS?

Started by dYnAm1c, December 19, 2013, 01:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dYnAm1c

Hi,
Thread title pretty much says everything. So you use the UEngine, I guess that means you can use the map editor but what about texture etc?
Do you also need to be a graphics artist to create your own maps because of the textures etc. or are there high quality textures available for free working with the unreal map editor?
And when you want to play your custom maps with other will they need to download it beforehand or will that be possible when joining the lobby? Did you already think about how to handle that?

clown358

I guess it could be difficult to start since PS Team switched to UE4.

dYnAm1c

Quote from: clown358 on December 19, 2013, 03:45:23 PM
I guess it could be difficult to start since PS Team switched to UE4.

Whats the difference? (Besides graphical improvements)

clown358

You won't be able to place any actors like startpoints, objectives, security systems....

On the other side the dev Team could release an unreal editor like ubisoft did for Chaos theory  ;)

frvge

You could place that stuff in UDK, but the UE4 editor is not available for the public. I don't know if Epic Games will supply it in the future like the current UDK.

The best start is just to use the tools that are available: UDK, 3D modeling and animation programs, 2D programs etc. If your stuff is good, we can look into moving it to UE4.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

WTaFa(Wraith)

Quote from: frvge on December 19, 2013, 08:08:12 PM
If your stuff is good...
How mapper himself could be sure that he's stuff is good for Dev Team?
I'm not 100% sure that I personally know all important issues about PS map design:
http://www.thief-haven.com/project-stealth/map-design
http://www.thief-haven.com/project-stealth/map-asylum
http://www.thief-haven.com/project-stealth/map-lakehouse
Please reveal some design tips. That could encourage creating of custom maps in general.
Join Project Stealth Wiki development. Join clan of non-violence infiltrators
Wraith Guild for exploring December release of Thieves vs Guard Stealth Online Multiplayer.

frvge

People who are interested it will experiment and learn it themselves.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

WTaFa(Wraith)

Quote from: frvge on December 22, 2013, 12:27:49 AM
People who are interested it will experiment and learn it themselves.
Thus I'm requesting for help. Anybody who is not part of Dev Team. I want to learn and experiment with you, guys and lads. We could share map ideas and gameplay knowledge. Discuss preliminarily before we'll  start to make our custom maps. I.e. do some map testing on paper. This proposal is actual during a couple next years. You could contact me via skype - maxim.pishnyak . Thank you and have a nice day today... and not only today.
Join Project Stealth Wiki development. Join clan of non-violence infiltrators
Wraith Guild for exploring December release of Thieves vs Guard Stealth Online Multiplayer.