[Official] Spy discussion

Started by LennardF1989, November 19, 2009, 01:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennardF1989

A serie of topics in attempt to resurrect the forum

Introduction
Although pretty much everything has been discussed, but spread over quite a number of topics, it would be pretty awesome if everything is rethought (again) and bundled in one official topic. This first post will be updated reguraly with ideas, thoughts, stories, anything ;)

The first topic in the series: The Spy.

What about it?
What should the spy be able to do (animation wise)? Do you want multiple spy skins/models? If so, should they be unlocks like DA? What should the story/history of the spy be? Which gadgets should he have? Should there be a limit on how many gadgets he can carry? Should there be ammocrates for the spy as they are for the mercenary? Anything you can think up!

Note: Don't go really deep into the gadgets themself (mechanics), just say which ones you think the spy should have. Only new ones in comparision to PT/CT/DA should get a small description for later discussion. Each gadget will get its own topic for discussion!

What do we know already
- Works for some corporation, but not how he ended up there.
- Non-lethal besides neckbreak.
- Stealthy
- Cool moves such as diving, wallflip, back to wall.
- Can climb pretty much everywhere (freeroaming)

What does the community think?
- Multiple models, but only slight changes. Multiple skins would be cool, too.
- Random drop of items.
- 3 rounds of sticky shocker in one go. Recharge afterwards.
- Story: Private corporation, as long as it's not out of revenge.
- A spy humiliation move (LOL: teabagging with physics!)
- DA like animations and escape moves
- Disorientating gas out of wrist (See image 1)

Attachments
Image 1:

Wh1tE_Dw4rF

I wouldn't mind different spy models. But make the differences small like spy A has a pouch on his left chest and spy B would have it on his belt for example. Same goes for mercs. No huge differences just enough to make it look like we're not playing star wars. (clones ftl)

Since spies don't use bullets there's no reason for ammo crates for spies, though it would be nice if the round takes longer then avarage to get a gadget drop somewhere. So spies don't get crippled when they've run out of gadgets after 5 attempts to hack something.

Something like 3 rounds of sticky shocker would be nice to have. Not a lot of them but enough to immobalize a merc for ~8 seconds or so. Make it have an arm time based on how far the merc is from the spy so it won't be exploited for close combat.

There's not much background needed for the mercenaries since well, they are mercenaries.

For spies I would say they work for an unknown brance of a country's secret service. Or perhaps even a private corporation that wants to eliminate tough compitition in the business. As long as they don't work out of revenge it's fine really.

AgentX_003

Quote from: Wh1tE_Dw4rF on November 19, 2009, 02:45:04 PM
I wouldn't mind different spy models. But make the differences small like spy A has a pouch on his left chest and spy B would have it on his belt for example. Same goes for mercs. No huge differences just enough to make it look like we're not playing star wars. (clones ftl) different suits would be nice but dont make it too complex O_o.

Since spies don't use bullets there's no reason for ammo crates for spies, though it would be nice if the round takes longer then avarage to get a gadget drop somewhere. So spies don't get crippled when they've run out of gadgets after 5 attempts to hack something. No this isnt Modern war fare 2 , please don't turn it out to be that way.

Something like 3 rounds of sticky shocker would be nice to have. Not a lot of them but enough to immobalize a merc for ~8 seconds or so. Make it have an arm time based on how far the merc is from the spy so it won't be exploited for close combat. fail

There's not much background needed for the mercenaries since well, they are mercenaries.

For spies I would say they work for an unknown brance of a country's secret service. Or perhaps even a private corporation that wants to eliminate tough compitition in the business. As long as they don't work out of revenge it's fine really. who knows

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

MR.Mic

I would like a bitch-slap move for the spies.

Also a genuine teabagging move. I am tired of improvising with the crouch button.
[size=2]Lead Visual Effects Artist - Advanced Materials, Particles, and Post-Process Effects
Website: http://studentpages.scad.edu/~ctripp20/index.htm][/size]

Zedblade

Quote from: MR.Mic on November 20, 2009, 04:06:54 AM

Also a genuine teabagging move. I am tired of improvising with the crouch button.

Agreed, Lennard needs to start working on advanced nut sack physics.

Westfall

Quote from: Zedblade on November 20, 2009, 04:56:15 AM
Quote from: MR.Mic on November 20, 2009, 04:06:54 AM

Agreed, Lennard needs to start working on advanced nut sack physics.

-Arabian Goggles
-Trojan War Helmet

LennardF1989

Hmm, a humiliation move for the spy would be fun. It's unfair the mercs have one, but the spies don't.

Spark Mandriller

Spies should totally have a model with cat ears. Or a tail. Or both.

Cats are pretty stealthy, so it makes sense, right?

VaNilla

I'd actually really like the spies to move like they do in DA, I've been playing it at a friends on the 360 recently and it's actually not that bad once you get into it, escape moves are particularly cool.

Wh1tE_Dw4rF

Quote from: AgentX_003 on November 20, 2009, 03:55:14 AM
Quote from: Wh1tE_Dw4rF on November 19, 2009, 02:45:04 PM
I wouldn't mind different spy models. But make the differences small like spy A has a pouch on his left chest and spy B would have it on his belt for example. Same goes for mercs. No huge differences just enough to make it look like we're not playing star wars. (clones ftl) different suits would be nice but dont make it too complex O_o.

Since spies don't use bullets there's no reason for ammo crates for spies, though it would be nice if the round takes longer then avarage to get a gadget drop somewhere. So spies don't get crippled when they've run out of gadgets after 5 attempts to hack something. No this isnt Modern war fare 2 , please don't turn it out to be that way.

Something like 3 rounds of sticky shocker would be nice to have. Not a lot of them but enough to immobalize a merc for ~8 seconds or so. Make it have an arm time based on how far the merc is from the spy so it won't be exploited for close combat. fail

For spies I would say they work for an unknown brance of a country's secret service. Or perhaps even a private corporation that wants to eliminate tough compitition in the business. As long as they don't work out of revenge it's fine really. who knows

Even a merc doesn't have his gadgets, he still has his gun loaded.
Another gadget idea for spies would be some sort of disorientating gas (like what smoke gas does but without the great area of effect) that can be fired from the wrist. Which comes directly out of the wrist, that recharges over ~3 minutes?

frvge

Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

LennardF1989

Dwarf, could you clarify your "disorientating smoke" idea? Like, would you have the option to "fire" it when you punch a mercenary or how do you imagine it?

Update up till now:
QuoteWhat does the community think?
- Multiple models, but only slight changes. Multiple skins would be cool, too.
- Random drop of items.
- 3 rounds of sticky shocker in one go. Recharge afterwards.
- Story: Private corporation, as long as it's not out of revenge.
- A spy humiliation move (LOL: teabagging with physics!)
- DA like animations and escape moves
- Disorientating gas out of wrist (needs clarification).

For the sake of discussion, here's the more general information we have of the spy in our Design Document, you are, ofcourse, allowed to go into the same kind of detail/nitpicking. Like, when should the spy actually make a sound?:
Spy
The spy is a highly-trained ex-soldier, working for a clandestine branch of the CIA. Using the latest technologies, he has a 100% success rate on his past missions. He's contemplating selling his expertise to the highest bidder in his time off.

Because of the nature of the job, stealth and discretion are amongst his highest values. The risk of getting injured or killed unfortunately means he will need his partner with who he's completed many missions already.

Movement & Actions
The Spy can move in a lot of different ways, basic movement exists out of:
    * Idling
    * Walking
    * Running

Where there is a distinction between Crouching and Standing.

It should be possible for the player to adjust his speed, which will have to a be a toggle between Walking and Running. The following sound patterns are applied:
    * Crouch Idle/Walk/Run: No sound
    * Stand Idle/Walk: No sound
    * Stand Run: Sound

Any kind of sound produced will be registered by the Sound Meter of the opponent (see [Weapons, Gadgets & Visions]).

From Crouch Walk/Run it is possible to Roll, this action doesn't make sound. From Stand Walk/Run it is possible to Dive, this action makes sound, unless you do it starting from crouch by very quickly switching from Crouch to Stand to execute the Dive and then back to Crouch while diving.

A Spy his main weapon is the Tazer, which is described in [Weapons, Gadgets & Visions]. He can pull it out, making the playercamera switch to an "Over-the-shoulder"-perspective, which is different than the usual Third Person Perspective. This same behaviour accurs when doing a "Back to Wall"-action, which is described in "Environmental Events" later on in this paragraph.

Additional Abilities
    * The Spy is able to incapacitate an opponent for a given period, but only by actually grabbing his component by the neck. This grabbing can only occur when the spy is pretty much right behind the opponent.
    * While grabbing, a player can also kill the opponent by breaking his neck.
    * Landing on an opponent after a high jump will kill him, a low jump will knock him down.
    * In order to defend himself, the Spy can smack his opponent.

Disclaimer: The Design Document is in no way final and is always subject to change, so, discuss!

frvge

Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

LennardF1989

I love it, awesome alternative to the punch.