i am an atheist

Started by Roberto1223, December 15, 2008, 11:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goodkebab

Astronomers just proved the center of the galaxy is a black hole....

guess we are all doomed,  no matter what you believe.

Farley4Fan

Lol, goodkebab with the much needed comic relief.  My lord.

Astronomers also proved that the sun will die out eventually (in millions of years).  As if we weren't doomed enough already!

I just watched a really interesting show where scientists used the tale of Sodom and Gomorrah (from the Bible) to find out the biggest disaster in our Earth's history.  A 3/4 of a mile asteroid hurled toward the Earth, the debris destroyed the area of Sodom and Gomorrah.  Get this.  If this event never happened, the Mid East would be covered with Jungle.  The Iraq War would be reminiscent of Vietnam, lol...

Yeah, God works in amazing ways.  He shaped our environments and punished humanity in one fowl swoop.  There just seems to be much more truth found in the bible every day. 

I've got a very open mind so let me hear whatever you have to say.

Roberto1223

Quote from: Westfall on December 16, 2008, 06:50:15 AM
Atheists make me laugh. Their beliefs are arrogant assumptions, just like every other religion in the world. The fact is, you don't know shit.

haha dude.. that is what an atheist is, a person who only believes reasoning can lead to the truth, and that therefore uses the scientific method to fill the gaps.. and yes we atheists do know the fact that we dont know anything (relatively) yet like u said.

in contrast, religious people use faith and other explinations to fill their gaps

being like a person like westfall whom thinks god is non existant and that science is obsolete reflects pure ignorance and uselessness lol.

Roberto1223

Quote from: Gui Brazil on December 16, 2008, 12:42:50 AM
Hey, you gotta believe in god just so when you're totally screwed you can look up and say "oh god i'm fucked...".

lol, even though im an atheist, ironically i still use the phrase "omg" sometimes.

Roberto1223

Quote from: Wanted_David on December 16, 2008, 07:18:34 PM

will this kill the thread or enrage some people? we'll find out after this...

well religion dosent even know what a dinosaur is or that it exists. that proves at least that there was life before "adam and eve" unlike how the bible explains it. and that also proves wrong the fact that it was created in six fucking days.

and dont go on the "oh its a metaphor" route cause if that were the case then the whole book is nothing but BS
the fact is that the religions have been adapting themselves and keeping up with science just so they can stay in existance; everytime something is proven wrong in the bible they go on to some lame excuse (like the "its only poetry and metaphores") and some faith explination.

goodkebab

even scientists believe in God.   The goal is not to disprove God,  but to explain how God works.

Roberto1223

Quote from: agentsmybitch on December 16, 2008, 07:42:08 PM
It's been my experience that..... There are no atheist in foxholes   something to ponder.  You really got to have a huge set of brass balls to look death in the face and say there's no god ! Do You really trust your instincts or convictions that much ?   I will say a prayer on your behalf.

u say that eventually every self proclaimed atheist believes in god just when they confront stress or anxiety in situations like war.

personally what i do is cross my fingers or do shit like that... good luck stuff u know.
not everybody does that; there are hypocrites in existance.

from my experience there are no atheists in kamikazi  or terrorist airplanes; which means that we aint stupid at least. (not that all religious people are, but i'd say theres a higher rate of dumb religious people than there is of dumb atheists)

being a dumb atheist would be like westfall cause he dosent believe in god but dosent think science is right either. lol. westfall said "i laugh at atheists' beliefs"

Roberto1223

Quote from: frvge on December 16, 2008, 07:49:53 PM
Of course, God would pop up on that moment. Why? People are scared, so they tend to pray to a higher power for protection. It is highly unlikely that Wodan (or was it Thor?) makes the thunderstorms, but people were scared of thunderstorms so they prayed. Our advanced equipment shows how thunderstorms are made. So with your war-scene, God is IMO a placebo or a tranquillizer for the soothing effect. It's said to work. Mind over matter when it comes to physiological effects.

i agree, with this guy, there is an reason for everything my friends :P

Roberto1223

Quote from: FR33M4N on December 16, 2008, 09:32:51 PM
People who live there life around something they're unsure exist are tards. You only have one life. Religions are so restrictive aswell, dont do drugs, don't drink alcohol, pray x amount of times a day, dont have sex before marriage, dont use these words. People always need to put a reason, or answer behind everything, that's why religion exists.

i agree, i choose to live my life around reason and free will. if a have a second eternal life, how nice. if i dont, well i had a good time in my life :D.

Roberto1223

Quote from: Papa Skull on December 17, 2008, 02:29:51 AM

Astronomers also proved that the sun will die out eventually (in millions of years).  As if we weren't doomed enough already!

I just watched a really interesting show where scientists used the tale of Sodom and Gomorrah (from the Bible) to find out the biggest disaster in our Earth's history.  A 3/4 of a mile asteroid hurled toward the Earth, the debris destroyed the area of Sodom and Gomorrah.  Get this.  If this event never happened, the Mid East would be covered with Jungle.  The Iraq War would be reminiscent of Vietnam, lol...

Yeah, God works in amazing ways.  He shaped our environments and punished humanity in one fowl swoop.  There just seems to be much more truth found in the bible every day. 

so u saying that u think that global warming and future disasters will be provoked by god to erradicate assholes like me? oh noes

plz im sorry god!

Roberto1223

Quote from: goodkebab on December 17, 2008, 08:54:10 PM
even scientists believe in God.   The goal is not to disprove God,  but to explain how God works.

you wouldnt know that unless u were a scientist urself. lol

Farley4Fan

Quote from: Roberto1223 on December 17, 2008, 09:03:49 PM

so u saying that u think that global warming and future disasters will be provoked by god to erradicate assholes like me? oh noes

plz im sorry god!

Didn't say that.  I think you have the wrong idea about me (and hopefully not other Christians as well).  There are things that are caused by man, and things that are caused by God.  These events are often disguised in a natural cloak.  Meaning he uses things we'd think of being natural to shape things.  This universe, our Earth, it's all just way way way too perfect. 

And btw, a lot of the stories in the Bible are meant to be moral teachings and I'm sure that not every single phrase is meant in a literal way.  This is why the Bible cannot be taught in public schools, there are too many interperetations.  So yeah, teach me evolution.  Tell me about this big bang.  Explain to me how we got here.  However, by doing so I believe you are missing out a very huge portion about the origin of our universe.

God will not work in blatant, obvious ways.  Because then following God would be based off of nothing except facts, not faith.  If everyone knows he exists then how would he test our souls?  If there was a giant face in the sky that said "I am God, I exist, worship me" who would not do what he says?  There's no test there. 

Roberto1223

Didn't say that.  I think you have the wrong idea about me (and hopefully not other Christians as well).  There are things that are caused by man, and things that are caused by God.  These events are often disguised in a natural cloak.  Meaning he uses things we'd think of being natural to shape things.  This universe, our Earth, it's all just way way way too perfect. 

And btw, a lot of the stories in the Bible are meant to be moral teachings and I'm sure that not every single phrase is meant in a literal way.  This is why the Bible cannot be taught in public schools, there are too many interperetations.  So yeah, teach me evolution.  Tell me about this big bang.  Explain to me how we got here.  However, by doing so I believe you are missing out a very huge portion about the origin of our universe.

God will not work in blatant, obvious ways.  Because then following God would be based off of nothing except facts, not faith.  If everyone knows he exists then how would he test our souls?  If there was a giant face in the sky that said "I am God, I exist, worship me" who would not do what he says?  There's no test there. 

sounds like ur serious about ur beliefs, and i respect that. if it makes u happy then ok, but i am the kind of person who dosent like to be restrained by beliefs. i think there is more to life than just a fairy tale like story contained in a book. i like to do base my action in ethics and moral and my thinking in reasoning.

i dont do good actions because i fear punishment (hell), but simply because of the morale that i was taught by my parents and my school teachers.

Farley4Fan

Quotesounds like ur serious about ur beliefs, and i respect that. if it makes u happy then ok, but i am the kind of person who dosent like to be restrained by beliefs.

Again I don't think you understand.  I am in no way restrained by my beliefs.  I have free will and if I choose to do the wrong thing then that's my choice.  Having Christianity at my side enables me to review my actions and improve.  Believing there is a God not only makes me happy but I also see it as one of the only logical explanations for the universe.  The others I do not see logical without a God.

Quotei think there is more to life than just a fairy tale like story contained in a book. i like to do base my action in ethics and moral and my thinking in reasoning.

Oh Roberto, you are so very right.  There is more to life.  More to life than simple data, theories, and science.  Just so you know I haven't read even a third of the Bible.  Obviously I haven't completely shaped my moral values around the Bible.  My ethics and moral values are not always in tune with what the bible teaches but that's what makes me human.  However we are usually taught the basic Christian principles regardless of if you are Christian or not.  Agree?  Don't kill, don't steal, etc.  We all are human, and we all (most of us) try to do our best to follow these basic guidelines.

Quotei dont do good actions because i fear punishment (hell), but simply because of the morale that i was taught by my parents and my school teachers.

And neither do I.  I'm sure God recognizes if someone is doing good actions for self benefit (not going to hell) and when someone is doing it because it's the right thing.  For example, giving to charity because you hope it helps is one thing, but giving to charity to save your ass is much different.

The main difference between you and I is this: You believe that science can explain everything and I do not.  In my personal opinion science will never explain everything.  Just when scientists get to that point where they think they crack the code they will hit a brick wall of mystery, just like always. 

frvge

The origin of the universe or how God came into play is something that most likely can not explained by anything.

Where the Bible claims the truth because it's in the book, science tries to find out how/what/why by experiments to verify theories.

E=MC2 goes a long way from the little dot of energy to the Big Bang... and if the Large Hedron Collider works as expected, we'll have an answer to why there's gravity. If it doesn't give that answer, science will continue their quest for knowledge. Theists dont need knowledge, because everything is in the book.

Remember: religion is always thought. Ethics depend on culture, not on religion.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.