i am an atheist

Started by Roberto1223, December 15, 2008, 11:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberto1223

ive watched a bunch of religious videos, i was in a catholic school untill i got to college.

theres religious people in my family.

theres atheists in my family

believe me i have balance..

oh and the video i told u about called "penn and teller: the bible is bullshit"  has oposing views on every argument. plz watch it and dont ignore it because of the title. lol.

i bet your gonna find it intresting.

Ion.67

Papa,

Multiple times the bible states that God picks and chooses who goes to heaven, not based on your faith. Are we predetermined to go to hell? Do we never get a chance? Or is religion the way to believe that when you die, something happens?

Religion was thought up when times were bad. They formed hope. Nothing else. Besides, how many stories about adam and eve could there really be?

1. Creates adam and eve at the same time. Genesis 1:27 "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them."

2. Creates Adam, from dust mind you, and Adam fucks around for a while. Then he takes a rib and makes Eve.

More odd shit...

Light was created BEFORE the sun existed. That just doesn't happen! Even then, plants were created before the sun, which leads to no photosynthesis.

Isiah 40:28 "Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is he weary?"
Exodus 31:17 "For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed."
Hmm.... He is tired, but is never tired. Doesn't happen often.

If God is almighty, why does he not stop evil? If he can and won't, he is a douche bag. If he would but he can't, he is not omnipotent. If he can't do either, what qualifies him as a god?

If God is almighty, can he make something so heavy that even he can't lift? PLEASE ANSWER THIS.

frvge

If God is almighty, can he make something so heavy that even he can't lift? PLEASE ANSWER THIS.
The halting-problem is undecidable. Bit lame to ask, but it stays funny.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Ion.67

It proves my point just fine though. Omnipotence doesn't exist.

goodkebab

Quote from: Ion.67 on January 14, 2009, 04:45:52 AM

no,  you just prove that an old man with beard in the clouds doesnt exist.

That metaphor doesnt exist in any religion,  but people like to use it.

But then,  what does a mango taste like if you have never tried it?

Just today I watched a documentary on  Catholic run orphanages and womens shelters in Ireland.

They were really no different then Prisons without any kind of trial by the court.  These people  were physically and mentally abused as children and adults by the Nuns,  brainwashed by Catholic Dogma, sexually abused by Priests,  and forced to forfeit their newborn children.  They committed no crime,  but were forced into servitude without any option to escape.

Catholic church is evil,  and anyone that associates with such an organization is turning a blind eye to the crimes the church has done in this very century.

Ion.67

I'm confused. OMNIPOTENCE of ANY FORM doesn't exists. Saying he is all powerful and the like basically means omnipotence. It can't happen.

It states numerous times that god can do whatever the hell he wants, whenever he wants. He can't do that, so he is not omnipotent. It also goes on and says he is not all powerful though, but that just proves the bible is a work of fiction and is meant to inspire hope. Which it does a good job at. Damn good.

Snakebit.

Quote from: goodkebab on January 14, 2009, 11:30:03 AM
Quote from: Ion.67 on January 14, 2009, 04:45:52 AM

no,  you just prove that an old man with beard in the clouds doesnt exist.

That metaphor doesnt exist in any religion,  but people like to use it.

But then,  what does a mango taste like if you have never tried it?

Just today I watched a documentary on  Catholic run orphanages and womens shelters in Ireland.

They were really no different then Prisons without any kind of trial by the court.  These people  were physically and mentally abused as children and adults by the Nuns,  brainwashed by Catholic Dogma, sexually abused by Priests,  and forced to forfeit their newborn children.  They committed no crime,  but were forced into servitude without any option to escape.

Catholic church is evil,  and anyone that associates with such an organization is turning a blind eye to the crimes the church has done in this very century.

Kebab . Because of actions of few , you can't say that the whole is evil , bad , etc . I really hate when people label 'everything' because of actions of few . It is saying the same as Every Muslim = Terrorist . Or Every Christian = Good Person . Its not that simple . Most of the people on this planet can think for themselves and if they belong to different race , religion , have different size of penis as you , etc , etc . THIS DOESN'T MAKE THEM A LOT DIFFERENT THAN YOU but if someone from that 'group' does something bad , all are labeled as bad guys .

The good example is 'Americans' . A lot of people call them Fat , Hamburger eating , brainwashed by movies , war waging assholes , but you should understand that it's not like that .(I know your from the UK if i am not mistaken) Not all people are FAT in America and not all people wanted war in Iraq . A lot of people (49.99%) voted against Bush but alas (50.01%) voted for him , so ALL are labeled as 'bad' or 'assholes'.

The Church does a LOT more good things to help people . So i support the church in what it does but i don't believe a fairytale with slices of horror about god.

Ion.67

As a majority I guess we are. We use that type of government, and that is our punishment...

Religion is the reason for huge amounts of deaths. ESPECIALLY if the bible is true.

Westfall

Quote from: Ion.67 on January 14, 2009, 11:17:24 PM
I'm confused. OMNIPOTENCE of ANY FORM doesn't exists. Saying he is all powerful and the like basically means omnipotence. It can't happen.

It states numerous times that god can do whatever the hell he wants, whenever he wants. He can't do that, so he is not omnipotent. It also goes on and says he is not all powerful though, but that just proves the bible is a work of fiction and is meant to inspire hope. Which it does a good job at. Damn good.

The deal with omnipotence is balance. God can't create a rock that he can't lift because it would cause unbalance to all that he did create, which is this reality to you.

Omnipotent doesn't mean all powerful....it means unlimited authority/influence. You also have to remember that he is described as omniscient, which is possessing universal/complete knowledge. Again just reverting back to the balance scheme.

QuoteIt proves my point just fine though. Omnipotence doesn't exist.

I guess I can agree, but I will say that I do believe omniscience exists.

Ion.67

I guess it COULD exist. It is like infinity, you'll never get there, but it is known that it IS there.

Omnipotence on the other hand can't happen. Unlimited power is to broad, causing inconsistencies, like I have shown.

What do you mean it would create imbalance?

Westfall

Quote from: Ion.67 on January 15, 2009, 03:28:54 AM
What do you mean it would create imbalance?

From what I can tell, everything is based off of balance. The reason I say it would be an imbalance is because of the inconsistency with the idea of big rock too heavy to lift for god. It is inconsistent which is not balanced with what's right in front of you (hence law, nature). To every reaction, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Ties in with karma, if you believe it, which I do because its ever so present.

This also means, if there is infinity...then there must be nothing-ness. Things can get infinitely big, then they can get infinitely small. Is there such a thing as "nothing"? There must be right? Wouldn't it be inconsistent? Or, do things get infinitely big to infinitely small with NO saturation points (always something/nothing)?

frvge

In some number-theories there is a difference between +0 and -0 IIRC. I didn't study that myself, so I might be wrong.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

goodkebab

If you look at omnipotence as will power or ego in the sense of   "I lift the rock"  " I create the universe" or "I know everything"  ....then yeah  it doesnt.

But if you look at omnipotence as unfettered consciousness,  where the collective minds of all of us on the planet form  a few brain cells of bigger brain,  or where  the pulse of this consciousness vibrates between the very atoms of all matter and energy...   then it omnipotence is concievable.

If such a thing is concievable,  then it can be experienced....

Westfall

I was thinking about it more, and the further I dive in the more and more I retract my statement of agreement that omnipotence doesn't exist. HOWEVER, we come to the phrase knowledge is power, therefore experiencing something omniscient would have to prove something to be omnipotent as well. While one can't be bigger than the other, they both go hand in hand.

QuoteBut if you look at omnipotence as unfettered consciousness

This is what I've been dealing with....I was thinking of authority as something concrete when it really isn't. It deals with law, and to perfect law (physics/quantum physics, chemistry) seems to be just one huge chunk of more that we don't know.

EDIT:
Check this out

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20126911.300-our-world-may-be-a-giant-hologram.html

Blank Man

Quote from: frvge on January 14, 2009, 01:02:51 AM

You didn't word the question correctly. A philosopher said "If God can do anything, can he NOT lift a rock bigger than himself?" If you answer yes, he can lift a rock bigger than himself, then he is not almighty because he can't NOT lift a rock bigger than himself. But if you answer no, he can't lift a rock bigger than himself, then he is still not capable of anything because then he can't lift a rock bigger than himself. It is sort of just a play on words, but at the same time, it could mean something.

Quote from: Ion.67 on January 14, 2009, 12:53:25 AM

Light was created BEFORE the sun existed. That just doesn't happen! Even then, plants were created before the sun, which leads to no photosynthesis.

Stop trying to disprove everything with science. Isn't it true that everything of entity has matter? Yet black holes are known as nothing. They are matter that collapsed upon itself. Explain that with science. I don't think that EVERYTHING has little scientific strings attached to it, some things just aren't explainable.