i am an atheist

Started by Roberto1223, December 15, 2008, 11:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Mandriller

Quote from: Papa Skull on February 12, 2009, 03:48:40 AM
I'm quite open to logic and reason.

I wonder if anyone else on this forum would agree.

Snakebit.

Quote from: HYPER STAG BEETLE on February 12, 2009, 04:37:12 AM

Papa you are open to logic but you are not open to reason . It seems that you have never ever attempted to think that you might be wrong sometimes.

You remind me of ego-centric 9-13 year old children when i read your posts in some threads....

Farley4Fan

Just because I'm open to reasoning doesn't mean I'm going to agree with a lot of the bullshit I read on this forum.  I'd bet you money that a lot of people wouldn't even take the conversation this far.  "Oh, you don't fully trust the Bible 100%? Then I'm OUTIE!"  I'm not like that.  Absolutely not.  Tell me your reasons behind your beliefs, I'll try to argue if I disagree. 

Quote from: Snakebit. on February 12, 2009, 07:32:25 PM

Papa you are open to logic but you are not open to reason . It seems that you have never ever attempted to think that you might be wrong sometimes.

You remind me of ego-centric 9-13 year old children when i read your posts in some threads....

Open to logic, but not to reason?  That's a really stretched attempt at, well, something.  I hope you use logic in your reasoning because they aren't really separate things.  I definitely think I could be wrong.  You could apply the same accusation of me not thinking I could be wrong to ANYBODY here that argues with me.  Could I not ever be right?  You're all always right, I'm always wrong?  I'm not accusing anyone here of that I'm just saying that maybe you should think about why you're accusing me of this.  For arguing with people to express my opinion?  Take a look in the mirror or take that ridiculous comment back. 

Like, what do you want from me?  Lol to renounce my faith?  Then you'll look at me in a different light?  In this thread, we've had more conversations than arguments.  More "get to the bottom of this" conversations than "F YOU YOU'RE WRONG" moments, agree?  It's been much more constructive than destructive, and very interesting.  Don't you think that because I find a lot of the theories here interesting, then I must be open to ideas?  I'm not set in stone, no one should be.

Spark Mandriller

Quote from: Papa Skull on February 13, 2009, 06:12:02 AM
Just because I'm open to reasoning doesn't mean I'm going to agree with a lot of the bullshit I read on this forum.

Bullshit like anything which suggests that you could be wrong?

Snakebit.

Just because I'm open to reasoning doesn't mean I'm going to agree with a lot of the bullshit I read on this forum.  I'd bet you money that a lot of people wouldn't even take the conversation this far.  "Oh, you don't fully trust the Bible 100%? Then I'm OUTIE!"  I'm not like that.  Absolutely not.  Tell me your reasons behind your beliefs, I'll try to argue if I disagree. 

Quote from: Snakebit. on February 12, 2009, 07:32:25 PM

Open to logic, but not to reason?  That's a really stretched attempt at, well, something.  I hope you use logic in your reasoning because they aren't really separate things.  I definitely think I could be wrong.  You could apply the same accusation of me not thinking I could be wrong to ANYBODY here that argues with me.  Could I not ever be right?  You're all always right, I'm always wrong?  I'm not accusing anyone here of that I'm just saying that maybe you should think about why you're accusing me of this.  For arguing with people to express my opinion?  Take a look in the mirror or take that ridiculous comment back. 

Like, what do you want from me?  Lol to renounce my faith?  Then you'll look at me in a different light?  In this thread, we've had more conversations than arguments.  More "get to the bottom of this" conversations than "F YOU YOU'RE WRONG" moments, agree?  It's been much more constructive than destructive, and very interesting.  Don't you think that because I find a lot of the theories here interesting, then I must be open to ideas?  I'm not set in stone, no one should be.

Logic and reason are not the same thing. I won't explain it to you , it is complicated. Read the book ' The development of logic. by William Kneale  and Martha Kneale . Pages 1-96.  Actually you can read the whole book if you really want to . But it is pretty complicated.

Plato logic , Aristotles logic and Megarian schools logic of the Antient Greeks . Reason is a part of logic but its not one and the same.

Even the Greeks discovered that there are flaws in logic or so to speak in their logic.For example.

Aristotles sylogisms.

This is a pen . This is blue . Therefore this is a blue pen.    This seems logical and true.
That dog is a father . That dog is his . There dog is his father .    That seems logical but its not true.

One of the big problems of logic during the Greek times was that you could disprove most of the Eristic logic(1st one) with Sophistic logic.(2nd one)

Which you tried to do by the way. In logic there must be connection between things with reason or reasoning or definitions or defining which is described on those pages to some extent.

Farley4Fan

Quote from: HYPER STAG BEETLE on February 13, 2009, 08:51:20 AM
Just because I'm open to reasoning doesn't mean I'm going to agree with a lot of the bullshit I read on this forum.

Bullshit like anything which suggests that you could be wrong?

No.  Bullshit like anything that is bullshit.  Like saying that the Bible is a complete work of fiction, while disregarding the numerous truths found inside it.

Westfall

it seems like you're still missing the bigger picture papa. Take your head away from the man-made book. It clogs your mind with stories to make you worship the church and throw them more cash, which in turn gives them a grip on your sack.

Farley4Fan

I personally haven't paid a cent to any organized religion in my lifetime.  I have no doubt that the Bible was man-made but it's a matter of faith of whether you believe the Bible was inspired by messages from God or not.  That's a personal decision and only experiences in your life can lead you to ACTUALLY believe that there is a deity, intelligent designer, a universal and all knowing consiousness, or God, whatever you wish to call it.  I've seen what the Bible can do for people, I've seen what Jesus can do for people, and it's quite amazing.  There is just a feeling you get.  You must combine your feelings with logic and reasoning to deduct what you really believe.  All the pieces just seem to add up for me.  Who knows?  Over time you may see that a God is very possible, a lot of people do. 

Ion.67

Over time, most of us have found that god is impossible...

frvge

People tend to exaggurate the positive sides and ignore the negative sides.

In religion it's like:
"OMG God answer my prayer of last week, so he must exist"

While what's not said is:
"... the other 52 weeks he didn't answer my prayers..."

See my point?
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Tidenburg

A christian will always see 1% of prayers answered as definate proof there is God, even though the other 99%+ are ignored.

Farley4Fan

99% of what people want is never what they really need.  You atheists, for whatever reason, just love to talk about the unanswered prayers.  And why?  It's like if I pray for a power rangers action figure to show up in my arms when I wake up the next day, and it doesn't, then God doesn't exist?  Come on.  I believe everything, well most things, happen for a reason.  And those humble people that pray for a loaf of bread so they can feed their children the next day will either get what they need in our world or be looked on with amazing sympathy on judgment day. 

As I've said before, those without anything, those who may not even take a first step, serve a big purpose in the overall feeling of appreciation in our world.  That's a bigger purpose than you or I will ever serve, and we've taken many steps in our lives.   ;)

When I pray, I don't pray a whole lot, I let God know how I'm feeling.  I ask him to watch over my family, keep us safe, bless us as much as needed with health, wealth, and happiness. 

So far about 99% have been answered, so, yeah.  If one day my mom or dad suddenly dies of a heart attack then I'm not going to say that there's no way God exists because my prayers were not answered.  There's a reason for it whatever it may be.

I don't think my petty pleas have any effect on God or jerk at his heart, because all our mortal affairs are moot in the long run anyways, but I think the real importance of praying is just letting God know that you trust in him and how he designed the universe to operate.

Westfall

I guarantee you god has not answered 99% of your prayers. In fact, he hasn't answered any of them. If he did, what would be the point of free will? This is all an experiment based primarily on emotion. The only thing that god would interject with are what tests and trials we go through everyday. Believe it or not, you are recording constantly. All of your thoughts could relate to praying.

Tidenburg

Quote from: Papa Skull on February 15, 2009, 07:13:33 AM
99% of what people want is never what they really need. 
Haha, What about people with Cancer, well wishers and the like? ALOT more than 1% of prayers are selfless.
QuoteYou atheists, for whatever reason, just love to talk about the unanswered prayers.  And why?  It's like if I pray for a power rangers action figure to show up in my arms when I wake up the next day, and it doesn't, then God doesn't exist?  Come on. 
Retarded, "You athiests" is massively stereotypical for a start, not all athiests even give two shits what crazy shit you believe in. I'm not talking about selfish wishes like those. MOST prayers from cancer patients families go un-noticed, you can't say God is real for the ones who survive becauses it's such a small amount and there is also the probability that it will just happen anyway.
QuoteI believe everything, well most things, happen for a reason.  And those humble people that pray for a loaf of bread so they can feed their children the next day will either get what they need in our world or be looked on with amazing sympathy on judgment day. 
Unless judgement day is within their lifetime, they won't appreiciate this. If they are at heavens door i'm pretty sure they will still be mad at the suffering God has put them through.
As I've said before, those without anything, those who may not even take a first step, serve a big purpose in the overall feeling of appreciation in our world.  That's a bigger purpose than you or I will ever serve, and we've taken many steps in our lives.   ;)
I won't even touch that, you sound like a philosophical hippy.
When I pray, I don't pray a whole lot, I let God know how I'm feeling.  I ask him to watch over my family, keep us safe, bless us as much as needed with health, wealth, and happiness. 
Wealth? That's a pretty selfish thing to hope for, most people (and the common pairing) is that of health and happiness.
So far about 99% have been answered, so, yeah.  If one day my mom or dad suddenly dies of a heart attack then I'm not going to say that there's no way God exists because my prayers were not answered.  There's a reason for it whatever it may be.
Bullshit, that's completely skewing the facts. If I preyed to God everynight that when I wake up the earth will still be here for 100 nights, I could come away and say my prayers have a 100% success rate. The odds of your mother being hit by a car are VERY low. This is the same for many things. My family is quite wealthy, no-one has been sick for ages and we're all very happy (happy athiest? GASP), I don't account this to god, I account it to the fact that the probability of my Dad losing his job, someone getting a severe illness and therefore us being despressed is relatively low.
I don't think my petty pleas have any effect on God or jerk at his heart, because all our mortal affairs are moot in the long run anyways, but I think the real importance of praying is just letting God know that you trust in him and how he designed the universe to operate.

In otherwords, wishing for somthing -when it already has a high probability of it happening regardless - is no proof whatsoever that your prayer was answered.

In the bible Jesus says that if I ask for a mountain to be moved then it will happen, why would I ever want to do that? Nowhere does the bible say God only answers selfless prayers. So who is a liar? Jesus or the Bible? (I guess both.)
Cute. It never ceases to amaze me at how niave and ignorant some religious people can be. God's universe is SHIT, there are soo many flaws in the humans design for starters (implying God must be imperfect if we were made in his own image) let alone the universe; and don't throw your "you're so ungrateful" shit at me either, because as far as i'm concerned the universe was created via means we don't fully understand and not some sort of 'being', therefore I have no-one to be grateful to eitherway.

I'll say this: If god is real, he's shit at what he does, he's an utter asswipe and can burn in the imaginary depths of hell for all I care.

Blasphemy, Blasphemy, Blasphemy, Blasphemy. Jesus fucking Christ incest fucking mary.

When I get struck down for saying things like that (which I should be if the bible is to be believed) then maybe i'll listen to you a bit more. ;)

Tidenburg

Also on answering your prayers, if you say God is the reason that anything happens if you prey for it then you're throwing logic and probability out of the window. If I prey for a heads on a coin (don't quote God doesn't play dice or I may have to hunt you down ;D ) and it is a heads, then you say God did it, what about probability? There was a 50/50 chance of that anyway!