i am an atheist

Started by Roberto1223, December 15, 2008, 11:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberto1223

Quote from: Nosis on February 23, 2009, 06:50:18 AM
you're all stupid.

dont enlighten us please, for our reason of existance is pointless if we cheat the ultimate test of faith!

fuck u nosis xD

To Papaskull.

Meat------------------Me(PapaSkull)---------------Ignorant to any facts
Faith increases>>>>>>>>>                   <<<<<<<<<Intelligence increases

u cant that my "Intelligence:faith ratio table" which is a ripped off and modded version of your "faith-o-meter"
is incorrect because you wrote "ignorant to any facts" on the right side.

so yeah. now you can easily/realistically see where u are in the "spectrum".

;)

Nosis

i think you mean enlighten.

Roberto1223

Quote from: Nosis on February 24, 2009, 12:41:07 AM
i think you mean enlighten.

i meant illustrate xD

but yea enlighten is better lol

Westfall

I told you why I pray.  I don't give a rat's ass about your approval for my reasons.  "You don't pray to show trust in anything."  Dude, who do you think you are?  "hiding your thoughts in your head."  How am I hiding my thoughts in my head by letting God know the thoughts in my head?  Ummm, makes 0 sense.

How are you hiding your thoughts in your head by letting God know the thoughts in your head? Here's a clue smartass...you're CONSTANTLY thinking. Thought IS prayer, therefore you are always praying....or thinking. You think while you ANYTHING, whether it be focusing or wandering off in your mind. It gets recorded. THEREFORE, if you are going off and praying, it wouldn't matter b/c God would always know what you were thinking or what your thoughts were. Praying is thinking, but keep telling yourself otherwise.

QuoteAnd the bolded part.  You're just flat out wrong on this one.  If we saw God in the sky and he yelled at us when we were wrong, then we wouldn't be here for anything.  All we'd do is stay inside and pray to God and worship him or we'd go to hell.  That's not what God wants.  He put us here to test our faith in him.  W/ cold hard undeniable evidence that God exists, ala giant eyeballs in the sky, we'd be petty ants with no reason to live and experience life.  God does not want us to be homebodies.  It's like cheating on a test.  If you have all the answers, what's the point of the test?

I'm only going to say free will to this one. Even if you knew there was a set of eye-balls in the sky you would still act under free will and try to be a good person right? So why act any different if you don't know there is a huge set of eyeballs in the sky? That's not a test of faith, its a test of life. Can you live? Can you live with a morally sound life so your soul isn't taxed? The only thing you should have faith in is your "SELF", for you can do plenty under the spectrum of free will...which god supposedly gave you. If you knew god existed it should make you act no differently than not knowing if god exists. It is life, and you should enjoy it without living in fear of what your church says is right...because a majority of the time they have been wrong. If you have all of the answers to your test, then cruise through it. Its not cheating if you have KNOWLEDGE of it. Maybe you don't have a reason to live....well, you do, so keep moving. The test that you speak of is life; this time; this moment; this hologram; your emotions.

QuoteA man of faith?  I am to a certain extent.  It's better than being a man of numbers/spreadsheets - or in other words a piece of meat.  You could say I'm in the middle of the spectrum.

Meat------------------Me---------------Ignorant to any facts
Faith increases>>>>>>>>>

So what your grid shows is you increasingly becoming ignorant to any facts because your faith increases? Maybe you should look more closely into math as opposed to sounding like a meathead and making a spectrum without knowing how to make the proper spectrum you're trying to convey.

And you are not in the middle of the spectrum:

[Christian, Muslim, Jewish]        [Buddhism, Hinduism, Agnostic]                        [Athiest]
Believes in diety + book---Believes in something greater after this--Believes that death is the final chapter
           (You)                                 (Me, Spekkio)                                       (Roberto)

THAT is a spectrum.

Spekkio

Westfall, I think you're confused regarding the definition of someone who is agnostic.

Agnostic, when referring to religion, simply means the person believes it cannot be proven at this point whether or not God exists. It does not mean that the person believes in a "greater power," so categorizing it with Buddhism is a fallacy. Moreover, the very fact that you're participating in this silly debate makes you something other than agnostic, since you're trying to convince someone that your viewpoints are correct.

By contrast, an atheist is someone who is convinced that it is a fact that God does not exist, and will actively attempt to convince others of the same.

If you are someone who believes in a Christian version of God without all the other Christian stuff, the word you're looking for is Deist.

Quote from: Nosis on February 23, 2009, 06:50:18 AM
you're all stupid.

Westfall

Quote from: Spekkio on February 24, 2009, 04:57:02 AM
Westfall, I think you're confused regarding the definition of someone who is agnostic.

Agnostic, when referring to religion, simply means the person believes it cannot be proven at this point whether or not God exists. It does not mean that the person believes in a "greater power," so categorizing it with Buddhism is a fallacy. Moreover, the very fact that you're participating in this silly debate makes you something other than agnostic, since you're trying to convince someone that your viewpoints are correct.

By contrast, an atheist is someone who is convinced that it is a fact that God does not exist, and will actively attempt to convince others of the same.

If you are someone who believes in a Christian version of God without all the other Christian stuff, the word you're looking for is Deist.

Here's the thing Spek, I do not believe in God, but I do believe that there is something that happens after my death. So no, diest would not classify as what I am. Athiests don't believe in anything after death. They also do not believe in a god. Agnostics do not KNOW the answers as to if something does or doesn't exist and do not go around preaching about 100% knowing what the deal is surrounding life. Agnostics also accept that after death there is something that happens. Agnostics can be both tied to athiests and theists. Its unfortunate, because I believe that there is something after I die, but I don't believe its a guy in the clouds. It would be so unfathomable and unknowing that we wouldn't be able to comprehend it in the reality. I don't have a term for it, but agnostic came the closest...because I don't know what the deal is with the universe....I'm a mere spec...the earth is a mere spec.

I'm not trying to convince ANYONE that my viewpoints are correct. I am letting my viewpoints be heard as well as discussing the "god concept".

Being agnostic doesn't classify you under a religion, but if I were to follow one, it would be Buddhism, which isn't a religion but is a way of living. Hence why they were tied together.

Nosis

Quote from: Westfall on February 24, 2009, 06:14:32 AMBuddhism, which isn't a religion but is a way of living.

dont let the dalai lama find out, dude will be so pissed.

Spekkio

Quote...but I do believe that there is something that happens after my death.
Still, the fact that you can assert any sort of belief about the afterlife makes you something other than Agnostic.

Tidenburg

Quote from: Papa Skull on February 23, 2009, 06:18:44 AM
Quote from: Rambo on February 18, 2009, 04:15:44 PM
just to heaten up the discussion: i have this theory that having a critical mind is reciprocally proportional to believing in bullshit like the concept of god...

Even the concept of a God is bullshit?  How about the concept of the universe randomly creating itself, from stuff that shouldn't have existed yet, but somehow clumped itself together, then somehow exploded or just started to expand?

You can't know there isn't a God, and you can't know that there is.  No one really does.  Leave it to an atheist to tell everyone that he does know, somehow.
Proof by no contradictary evidence is not proof.

If I said there was a green alien living in my house, invisible to all forms of detection, you couldn't disprove nor prove he was there. Religion is this concept on a mass scale.

A man of facts and numbers is not a piece of meat, a man of faith is no better. A man of faith doesn't automatically imply religion either, religion (the supression of knowledge) is imo somthing that makes you a piece of meat. Turning down evidence with a few holes for some story that your parents forced upon you, where the only proof is that there is no proof against it, doesn't make you a man, it makes you a follower. (Hehe, I could soo quote bioshock here).

Also, JUST to get rid of this freaking retarded religious thing. Papaskull, go on being religious but you don't realise how retarded you sound to say "it's crazy to say the universe came from nothing".

A: just because you can't grasp the concept because our minds are limited, doesn't mean it can't be so.
B: Why the fuck is it ok for an omnipotent being to magically create itself but not our universe?

This is the worst possible thing for a religious person to state, it shows just how blind they are and don't consider what they're actually believing in.

How about the concept of the universe randomly creating itself, from stuff that shouldn't have existed yet, but somehow clumped itself together, then somehow exploded or just started to expand?
If that's the version of the big-bang that your batshit crazy god teachers told you, then no wonder you chose religion. Alot of scientists doubt the existance of "nothing", therefore this would imply that the matter created itself from somthing else.

Quote from: Spekkio
Most of your post is right, but athiests don't definitively attempt to convince other of the same. I believe that if someone starts preaching crap, I have the right to put forward the facts they're ignoring.

Me and my friend were on the bus discussing evolution (we cover a wide variety of topics) and my friend said how much it annoys him when religious people act like they are schooled in the subject of Evolution and Big-Bang Theory, from Papa's posts, we can clearly see he is an example. One common thing for religious people to say is "there are many whole in the evolution theory", but now-a-days, there is not. We know that us, (Homo-Sapien-Sapiens) evolved from a common anscestor to the other 'great apes' and all that's really missing is the link between the tree-bound and non tree-bound (sorry to put it in laymans terms :3). Big Bang has alot of proof behind it (backed up by the Doppler effect and such) and although there are MANY holes in how the process started, it's certainly much more definate than religion.

People like papa haven't been taught the full fact, and it's a shame he continues to argue without realising this.

Snakebit.

Quote from: Tidenburg on February 24, 2009, 06:55:53 PM
Quote from: Papa Skull on February 23, 2009, 06:18:44 AM
Quote from: Rambo on February 18, 2009, 04:15:44 PM
just to heaten up the discussion: i have this theory that having a critical mind is reciprocally proportional to believing in bullshit like the concept of god...

Even the concept of a God is bullshit?  How about the concept of the universe randomly creating itself, from stuff that shouldn't have existed yet, but somehow clumped itself together, then somehow exploded or just started to expand?

You can't know there isn't a God, and you can't know that there is.  No one really does.  Leave it to an atheist to tell everyone that he does know, somehow.
Proof by no contradictary evidence is not proof.

If I said there was a green alien living in my house, invisible to all forms of detection, you couldn't disprove nor prove he was there. Religion is this concept on a mass scale.

A man of facts and numbers is not a piece of meat, a man of faith is no better. A man of faith doesn't automatically imply religion either, religion (the supression of knowledge) is imo somthing that makes you a piece of meat. Turning down evidence with a few holes for some story that your parents forced upon you, where the only proof is that there is no proof against it, doesn't make you a man, it makes you a follower. (Hehe, I could soo quote bioshock here).

Also, JUST to get rid of this freaking retarded religious thing. Papaskull, go on being religious but you don't realise how retarded you sound to say "it's crazy to say the universe came from nothing".

A: just because you can't grasp the concept because our minds are limited, doesn't mean it can't be so.
B: Why the fuck is it ok for an omnipotent being to magically create itself but not our universe?

This is the worst possible thing for a religious person to state, it shows just how blind they are and don't consider what they're actually believing in.

How about the concept of the universe randomly creating itself, from stuff that shouldn't have existed yet, but somehow clumped itself together, then somehow exploded or just started to expand?
If that's the version of the big-bang that your batshit crazy god teachers told you, then no wonder you chose religion. Alot of scientists doubt the existance of "nothing", therefore this would imply that the matter created itself from somthing else.

Quote from: Spekkio
Most of your post is right, but athiests don't definitively attempt to convince other of the same. I believe that if someone starts preaching crap, I have the right to put forward the facts they're ignoring.

Me and my friend were on the bus discussing evolution (we cover a wide variety of topics) and my friend said how much it annoys him when religious people act like they are schooled in the subject of Evolution and Big-Bang Theory, from Papa's posts, we can clearly see he is an example. One common thing for religious people to say is "there are many whole in the evolution theory", but now-a-days, there is not. We know that us, (Homo-Sapien-Sapiens) evolved from a common anscestor to the other 'great apes' and all that's really missing is the link between the tree-bound and non tree-bound (sorry to put it in laymans terms :3). Big Bang has alot of proof behind it (backed up by the Doppler effect and such) and although there are MANY holes in how the process started, it's certainly much more definate than religion.

People like papa haven't been taught the full fact, and it's a shame he continues to argue without realising this.

Ignorance is a bliss a lot of the time . Saves a lot of your nerves . What will happen if a 100% percent religious person suddenly understand that there is no god ? What will he do next ? If he lived like 20 years or 30 believing in something that doesn't exist ?

We don't need more crazy people in this world for sure.....

Tidenburg

You'll have to excuse the typo's in that post. I'd just got back from college and was crazy tired. :/

Nosis

belief that believing in any god is crazy is crazier then believing in jesus.

Westfall

You don't believe in Jesus Nosis, or the ideas that swell Jesus' appearance?

I believe Jesus existed and lived his life very well. However, I don't know if I buy his magic, lol. Jesus was probably a great person, whom both Buddha and Mohamed looked to, but the stories are good enough for the scifi channel.

Tidenburg

...and only recorded in text over 50 years later, passed on by general hear-say and chinease whisper. This is why the bible is SUCH a reliable source. :)

Roberto1223

Quote from: Nosis on February 24, 2009, 08:31:10 PM
belief that believing in any god is crazy is crazier then believing in jesus.

if u dont care about this topic then dont post in it. period. create a new thread or whatever...