i am an atheist

Started by Roberto1223, December 15, 2008, 11:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nosis

i came into the thread very sarcastic, no doubt. the thing is though, i didn't and don't attack individuals (except agent), just ideas or the content of your post. westfall has the bad habit of filling his counter points with insults which usually just makes me roll my eyes, but definitely puts me on the attack.

the stats are pretty similar all over the world, with older generations holding onto religions and younger generations being majorly atheist or some variant of agnostic or polytheist. religion is dying, but spirituality isn't - as a result, the pagan gods are seeing a huge resurgence lol.

praise odin!

Snakebit.

Quote from: Nosis on March 05, 2009, 09:07:02 PM
i came into the thread very sarcastic, no doubt. the thing is though, i didn't and don't attack individuals (except agent), just ideas or the content of your post. westfall has the bad habit of filling his counter points with insults which usually just makes me roll my eyes, but definitely puts me on the attack.

the stats are pretty similar all over the world, with older generations holding onto religions and younger generations being majorly atheist or some variant of agnostic or polytheist. religion is dying, but spirituality isn't - as a result, the pagan gods are seeing a huge resurgence lol.

praise odin!

Hows is pagan gods better than 'jesus' ? They are not that much different........ And don't call me a blasphemer for that please papa...

Nosis

well for one most of them are a few thousand years older then christ.

Westfall

I definitely feel that religion is dying quicker in Europe than the U.S. While I would never follow what a poll says, since so many people probably never took a poll, I would say that the Southern U.S. is more religiously influenced than the Northern U.S. It seems like people are still stuck in the past. Don't get me wrong though, if a god or gods works for you and makes you live your life well, then prosper, but if you're going to try and condemn people for separate beliefs....mmmmm....really stretching it.

Just going to ignore Nosis' first statements.

Roberto1223

Quote from: Snakebit. on March 05, 2009, 01:04:54 PM
Getting back on topic really. Are there many atheists in the Us ?  I don't mean the polls and thing like that, i mean you all speak to different people and are they all 'religious' like the polls say ( Heard that there are like 90% Theists in america)  ? Is it true , cause in Europe we got a bit of a different picture . Specially in my country , only like 30% are theists and around 40% atheists , rest are 'undecided' (well agnostic probably)

the thing is that a lot of people is just say they are religious when the truth is they dont even know what their religion is about, that happens because of family traditions etc.

but yea i would say polls are incorrect when the results come out as "america is a christian country"

yes i agree with all who think that religion is dying out.

i myself am an example/proof of how religion is dying out; (most of my family is religious), and all my friends who claim to be religious hardly ever go to church etc. so yep i agree with that.

LoChang

This, for the most part, is an interesting discussion.  For myself, I'm definitely a God-fearing individual though in recent years, say the last 2, I've really begun to (not sure if 'question' is the most accurate word) think more deeply and analytically about my beliefs, the ones I was raised with.  I certainly believe there's a God but the exact details of such I'm perhaps not taking quite as literally as I once did.

Maybe the best way to describe me is having an increasing open and tolerant mind towards other ideas and beliefs instead of a strict interpretation of the 'good book'.

Sorry if that's confusing.

Regarding religion dying out:  I certainly think America is still a majority Christian country, albeit maybe only barely.  Whereas in past decades it was maybe as high as 60-80% Christian or simply religious in general, I definitely agree with the sentiment that things and people are becoming increasingly non-religious.

Myself, I see that as a reaction of TPTB (the powers that be) influencing an increasingly out of control world.  The more things deteriorate, the more control governments will have to exert in order to maintain that 'image', if you will, of control.  But it's like holding tighter and tighter onto sand.  The harder you grab for control, the more you lose.

I'm of the belief that eventually organized religion in general will be officially turned on by world goverments and banned because it incites too much chaos and violence, whether the Jews and Muslims will admit it or not.

Roberto1223

i was watching a film called 'Munich' the other day; it was the first time i ever saw the film. i fell asleep in a few parts, but i do know that the film is about the constant war between muslims and jews. i think it was a good film, but it makes jews look like victims.

i think that jews always want to be the victims and that they should accept the fact that they kill muslims too lol.

and yes i agree with lochang, religions stimulate war lol.

LoChang

As far as the Jew/Arab thing goes, you should ask yourself:

If the Arabs had a small fraction of land and were surrounded by 400 million Jews, do you think the Jews would be blowing themselves up in buses and pizza kitchens?

I realize that's an extremely oversimplified breakdown of a hundreds of years-old battle, but honestly, do you see that as being realistic?

Tidenburg

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=AXKCXJSN
Religulous. Basically pointing out holes in religion and how it's used to manipulate people today. Great doc/film. (The awkward silences kill me) ;D

Westfall

Dying to see that movie...can't wait...

LoChang, are you under the belief of no such thing as free will or do you believe free will exists but that we always end up where we're supposed to be (aka fate)? Just curious, b/c you're saying the powers that be have weened the human mind away from religion altogether. Don't you think it is deserved due to the controlling nature of some religions?

Spekkio

Quote from: LoChang on March 09, 2009, 05:31:46 AMI realize that's an extremely oversimplified breakdown of a hundreds of years-old battle, but honestly, do you see that as being realistic?
Considering that suicide is considered one of the worst sins a Jew can commit...nope.

I <3 U

religion causes way more problems than it solves..

LoChang

@ Westfall:  I am of the belief that one chooses to believe in what they wish.  Whether that means a belief in a higher power, God, or in science or mathematics, that's up to each individual.  However, I'm also of the belief that, as I said earlier, the global society as a whole is getting increasingly more and more out of control and chaotic, and religion is seen as the cause, or at the very least, a primary contributor.  Therefore, I think that a lot of powerful people, politicians, CEO's of news media, etc, are quietly trying to wean people into a more secular state by subtle means and influences.  Not some grand organized conspiracy, but just feeling simply if religion weren't a part of society, society would be a good deal more stable.  I'm inclined to agree with them.

And really, who's being controlling?  Religions, most of them, simply have a different set of morals and values from each other, and a different set from someone who was NOT religious.  But are THEY holding YOU to account of them?  Or are you living your life controlling yourself (or confining) to said belief system?  In my view, religions simply lay out a set of guidelines they think is a good thing to follow.  If you feel it's controlling, either leave that organization or give up religion in general.  People who claim to be religious usually don't view their own views as confining or controlling, they do it to have a sense of structure in their lives.  Again though, if you DO think it's controlling you, then it probably isn't for you.

@ Spekkio:  As I've known very few Jewish people, and none of them well, I wasn't aware that was specifically the case, though I've always assumed it to be.  It's also my understanding that the same holds true with Muslims, therefore the conundrum of suicide bombings.

Westfall

Quote from: LoChang on March 10, 2009, 06:57:11 PM
@ Westfall:  I am of the belief that one chooses to believe in what they wish.  Whether that means a belief in a higher power, God, or in science or mathematics, that's up to each individual.  However, I'm also of the belief that, as I said earlier, the global society as a whole is getting increasingly more and more out of control and chaotic, and religion is seen as the cause, or at the very least, a primary contributor.  Therefore, I think that a lot of powerful people, politicians, CEO's of news media, etc, are quietly trying to wean people into a more secular state by subtle means and influences.  Not some grand organized conspiracy, but just feeling simply if religion weren't a part of society, society would be a good deal more stable.  I'm inclined to agree with them.

Well put, but do you believe in free will or fate?

QuoteAnd really, who's being controlling?  Religions, most of them, simply have a different set of morals and values from each other, and a different set from someone who was NOT religious.  But are THEY holding YOU to account of them?  Or are you living your life controlling yourself (or confining) to said belief system?  In my view, religions simply lay out a set of guidelines they think is a good thing to follow.  If you feel it's controlling, either leave that organization or give up religion in general.  People who claim to be religious usually don't view their own views as confining or controlling, they do it to have a sense of structure in their lives.  Again though, if you DO think it's controlling you, then it probably isn't for you

Well, the reason religions tend to be controlling is because you HAVE to follow these rules or else you are disobeying the religion. This goes for most religions: Catholic, Jewish, Muslim...to name a few. Granted, there are relaxed versions of each. Also, many ppl follow there texts too literally, which is what the church/temple conveys. This seems to pollute the minds of humans for generations on generations. I agree that society is becoming chaotic, but I think that's do to the realization that religion is very controlling. While I don't disagree with a book of morals, I do not agree with manipulation of minds...this is what religion is excellent at.

LoChang

Guess I was a bit too long winded, I believe in free will.  To me, 'fate' implies that everything is mapped out already and you really don't have a choice where you end up.  In a way, I feel like that's a cop-out arguement, almost like proving something doesn't exist, like God.  No matter what you do, someone can say it was 'fate', just like someone can argue God doesn't exists to someone who believes hard evidence isn't what you need to believe but 'faith' is.  You can't rely on that fallacious reasoning.

I agree with your second point too, I was only trying to convey that if someone feels that what they themselves believe is too controlling or restrictive for how they want to live their life, then go believe in something that will allow you to do just that.  Have a backbone, stand up for what you believe in and want, don't let others dictate to you what you don't feel is right.

Myself, I believe in the religious things I was taught, though as stated earlier, I've recently thought more deeply and analytically about them and have perhaps started off on a different path.  I'm not sure what I'll end up doing regarding my own belief system.  It's too early to tell.