i am an atheist

Started by Roberto1223, December 15, 2008, 11:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tidenburg

Quote from: tigaer on March 29, 2010, 05:40:46 AM
Why do atheists complain about Christians trying to force religion when they do the same thing?

Atheist: "So you're a Christian?"
Christian: "Yes."
Atheist: "Why? God doesn't exist, you'd be so much happier without religion man."
Christian: "God does exist, and you'd be so much happier with him."
Blah blah blah.

This happens all the time, I have tons of atheist and christian friends that do it. It's contradicting and annoying that atheists complain about forcing religion when they do the exact same thing to religious people.

Just a random thought. That is all.
Firstly, I'm not an athiest because it makes me happy, surely deluding myself would do that better. I'm an athiest because even a first grader can point out fundamental flaws in religion. It has no evidence and is just passed down. If you were raised here, where it's not taught as fact - or were not brought up by your parents that way - you'd be athiest too.

Secondly, I hope you're not serious. When I want to discuss religion, I will. I'm not going to force it down your throat, but I feel that anything should allowed to be discussed, if you're going to get offended about freedom of speech then that's your problem, not mine. People who force each other's views down other's throats are annoying. People who cry when valid opinions are exchanged about religion can QQ.

If you'd actually read what I said, I was posting POLITICAL forcing. As in, law. Not something I can just walk away from or not partake in (you know, like a conversation). Laws in America are horrifically biased and set up to enable Christianity, tax benefits, etc. Law should not back any religion. It's in your bloody constitution, why am I, a foreigner, reminding you of this?

tigaer

Calm down. That wasn't directed at you. It was a generalized statement.

Wh1tE_Dw4rF

Christian = someone who believes in god.
Athiest = someone who doesn't believe in god.

Making others believe in a god is bad.
Making others believe to not believe in a god because you don't like christians to tell you to believe in a god is being a hypocrit.

And tidenburg you keep saying how you find it annoying to put a religion down someone's throat but the only thing you seem to do in your posts is tactical nuke your views down religious' throats.

Start making sense.

Tidenburg

Well my image posts were for the trulz but no-one raged so I stopped. I've not told anyone to not believe in God... my only problem is that it's prominent in their laws.

Tigaer, I said nothing offensive or harsh in that post, no need to calm down. As I said IN the post, taking something badly because it's about religion and someone actually bashing it are two entirely different things. Also, you were stereotyping - so it is aimed at me.

White_dwarf, discussions don't need a narrator. My posts all contain valid points with, yeah, maybe just some sting in the tone. Regardless, just because they can't apparently be answered to, doesn't make the question/point bad.

Maybe just respond to some points in my posts instead of just interjecting with random whines? It's not like I'm arguing in a foul way. How about a discourse instead of just picking apart stuff in my post style that has nothing to do with its actual content?

Wh1tE_Dw4rF

Quote from: Tidenburg on March 29, 2010, 07:49:05 PM
White_dwarf, discussions don't need a narrator. My posts all contain valid points with, yeah, maybe just some sting in the tone. Regardless, just because they can't apparently be answered to, doesn't make the question/point bad.

Maybe just respond to some points in my posts instead of just interjecting with random whines? It's not like I'm arguing in a foul way. How about a discourse instead of just picking apart stuff in my post style that has nothing to do with its actual content?

Funny you mention ,as this was a respond to the general picture I get when reading your posts. In most post you have excellent points just the way they are worded makes you look arrogant and somewhat drawing the attention away from your initial meaning.

To this point we can all pretty much agree you are an athiest and do not like religion. You made your point. Though you still keep bringing up you're an athiest that leads to a more aggresive way of replying.

Perhaps if you left your athiesm aside and speak of what you think based on your thoughts your posts might actually make sense, without drawing the attention away from your initial meaning.

Ion.67

Since you guys are arguing over nothing right now I am just gonna talk...

I never try and bring up religion because I am heavily outnumbered, but if it is brought up, I will force my point upon people. If they want to talk about it then I will almost assuredly win the discussion.

My belief is that when people, or at least most people, realize that science > religion, the world will be a better place.

CurdyMilk

Quote from: Ion.67 on March 29, 2010, 10:54:25 PM
Since you guys are arguing over nothing right now I am just gonna talk...

I never try and bring up religion because I am heavily outnumbered, but if it is brought up, I will force my point upon people. If they want to talk about it then I will almost assuredly win the discussion.

My belief is that when people, or at least most people, realize that science > religion, the world will be a better place.

It's not about winning or losing a discussion.  If that is your entire aim, then you are missing the point of it all.  The point is to have an open talk with another person and have mutual interest in each other's views so that you can accomplish something.  This is done with respect- not a battle that you are fighting to win.  Present your views, listen to the other, and then calmly talk about your similarities and differences.  If you influence the other person, so be it.  And the only way you can impact another person is by taking this approach.  I'm praying for you brother...

Tidenburg

Curdy, don't ever say you're praying for someone if they're not part of your religion. It makes you sound like a condescending prick. As much as I like discussion, there is a battle going on.

Religion has been utilised or behind almost all major conflicts. Whether it was full-fledged religious crusades, slaughtering countless people, or just a president saying that they have God's backing. It's a people-controller and it's dangerous. Otherwise rational people fail to see that if they were born elsewhere they'd believe something entirely different just as adamantly as they do their own. People are still stoned to death for being gay or expressing themselves or choosing not to believe in some places. People kill thousands in the name of a God they have no reason to believe in.

And don't you dare say Christianity isn't one of those religions. Its history is appalling.

Wh1tE_Dw4rF

Quote from: Tidenburg on March 29, 2010, 11:33:59 PM
Curdy, don't ever say you're praying for someone if they're not part of your religion. It makes you sound like a condescending prick. As much as I like discussion, there is a battle going on.

Religion has been utilised or behind almost all major conflicts. Whether it was full-fledged religious crusades, slaughtering countless people, or just a president saying that they have God's backing. It's a people-controller and it's dangerous. Otherwise rational people fail to see that if they were born elsewhere they'd believe something entirely different just as adamantly as they do their own. People are still stoned to death for being gay or expressing themselves or choosing not to believe in some places. People kill thousands in the name of a God they have no reason to believe in.

And don't you dare say Christianity isn't one of those religions. Its history is appalling.

Athiest kill people too, expell gay from their community, also fight pointless wars. Don't forget that.
Just by having everyone becoming an athiest won't solve it just like that.

It's a human shortcoming, we do "evil" things because deep inside us we are all selfish beings. Look at animals, they expell the weak or even kill them. Do the others mourn their losses? Perhaps. Do they care in the end? Hell no.

There is no right or wrong it's what YOU think is right or wrong. Religion is just a tool to make it more transparant for you to know the difference, so individuals do not have to think about it for themselfs. They get it served on a shiny plate with a pat on their backs.

Tidenburg

Haha, don't make me laugh, Athiests don't kill people because they HAVE religion. It probably has happened for a few insane people but it's not like there was every some non-god guided empire killing off believers. Puhlease.

I was clearly talking about religious agenda here, as in - killing in the name of God. Not just random murders.

Wh1tE_Dw4rF

Quote from: Tidenburg on March 30, 2010, 12:16:05 AM
Haha, don't make me laugh, Athiests don't kill people because they HAVE religion. It probably has happened for a few insane people but it's not like there was every some non-god guided empire killing off believers. Puhlease.

I was clearly talking about religious agenda here, as in - killing in the name of God. Not just random murders.

And what exactly is the difference between killing in the name of god or for your own benefit?

Tidenburg

I'm hoping you'll look at what you just said and realise how stupid a question it was.

Wh1tE_Dw4rF

Are you just dumb?

Your problem is that people have fought war in the name of God, yet they could have fought the same war on different terms.

Let's say there is a holy land somewhere. The same land is also very resourcefullness.

If another land has interrest in it and wants to claim it by any means neccessary they could either tell their people:

A) We will rage war upon this country because the land is holy to us.

B) We will rage war upon this country because it's very resourcefull to us.

From the above example you could say that for A) you use religion as a tool to get what you want. As people within the same religion share your ideas and values they will support you.

Now for example B) there is no religion involved, it's purely out of interrest of the resources.

Wars will be fought wether it's because of religion or resources.

Go figure it out smartass.

Tidenburg

Quotebecause it's very resourcefull to us.
You are now aware of the difference.
Congrats.

Killing someone for a god that MIGHT exist is taking a life for an unsure purpose. Killing for resources is an actual gain. It's a magical thing called reality vs possibility.

War would be fought. But if you'd actually take a look back in time not so far (I mean OUTSIDE of american history), most wars are for PURELY religious reasons. Back before the resource race was on.

QuoteGo figure it out smartass.
Really? ...I don't even know how to respond to that.

Wh1tE_Dw4rF

Quote from: Tidenburg on March 30, 2010, 02:36:55 AM
Quotebecause it's very resourcefull to us.
You are now aware of the difference.
Congrats.

Killing someone because for a god that MIGHT exist is taking a life for an unsure purpose. Killing for resources is an actual gain. It's a magical thing called reality and possibility.

Still, you need to understand that ANY thing used as an excuse to fight a war over is as bad. It doesn't matter of it's because of religious views or what a country can gain. It is bad.

And to get back at my previous post. Even if everyone on earth is an athiest, they WILL find a reason to fight for just not because of religion. Also, it is proven over and over again that people abused their power over the people by bending rules so it is okay in "god's" eyes. We know religion is bad but most religious wars could have been fought over something totally not related to a god. And using that as a tool AKA excuse.

Religion is not the problem, humans are.