i am an atheist

Started by Roberto1223, December 15, 2008, 11:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tidenburg

True but for more valid reasons. The earth is purging humans out and we're going to have to start fighting each-other for resources pretty soon if it all goes tits up.

There are valid reasons for war. There are good and bad reasons to kill people. A might-be God is part of the latter.

Farley4Fan

Quote from: Ion.67 on March 29, 2010, 10:54:25 PM
Since you guys are arguing over nothing right now I am just gonna talk...

I never try and bring up religion because I am heavily outnumbered, but if it is brought up, I will force my point upon people. If they want to talk about it then I will almost assuredly win the discussion.

My belief is that when people, or at least most people, realize that science > religion, the world will be a better place.

My belief is that when atheists, or at least some athesists, realize that there might be more to life than science, atheists will be less unbearable.

I <3 U

my name's rob and i like cheese and puddles hehe.

Roberto1223

Quote from: CurdyMilk on March 29, 2010, 11:24:16 PM

I never try and bring up religion because I am heavily outnumbered, but if it is brought up, I will force my point upon people. If they want to talk about it then I will almost assuredly win the discussion.

My belief is that when people, or at least most people, realize that science > religion, the world will be a better place.

It's not about winning or losing a discussion.  If that is your entire aim, then you are missing the point of it all.  The point is to have an open talk with another person and have mutual interest in each other's views so that you can accomplish something.  This is done with respect- not a battle that you are fighting to win.  Present your views, listen to the other, and then calmly talk about your similarities and differences.  If you influence the other person, so be it.  And the only way you can impact another person is by taking this approach.  I'm praying for you brother...

I agree, I have to admit "im praying for you brother" made me smile, hehe
I imagined jesus with a piece of bread on one hand and wine on the other xD

Ion.67

Quote from: FarleyFan on March 30, 2010, 07:19:47 AM

My belief is that when atheists, or at least some athesists, realize that there might be more to life than science, atheists will be less unbearable.

You are right, we are the unbearable ones. Basing everything we do on science and not waiting for a mystical being to help us through our times. Get stuff done in the real world don't ask a magical wizard to do it.

Tidenburg

I think farley was missing this from his post:

Farley4Fan

Quote from: Ion.67 on March 30, 2010, 11:09:49 PM
Quote from: FarleyFan on March 30, 2010, 07:19:47 AM

You are right, we are the unbearable ones. Basing everything we do on science and not waiting for a mystical being to help us through our times. Get stuff done in the real world don't ask a magical wizard to do it.

You are right, we people who believe in some sort of higher power reject all forms of science in hopes that it will one day get us in big with the thing upstairs.  And you are also right.  I don't work for anything I ask my magical fairy god to grant my wishes.

Ion.67

My neighbors' (pastor and wife) son who is 19 is going to be a father. They simply say that god will provide and everything will be okay. Why don't they make that kid get his GED and try and land a decent job so he will be able to provide for his future family?

Roberto1223

Farley4Fan

Quote from: Ion.67 on March 31, 2010, 05:56:06 AM
My neighbors' (pastor and wife) son who is 19 is going to be a father. They simply say that god will provide and everything will be okay. Why don't they make that kid get his GED and try and land a decent job so he will be able to provide for his future family?

You can't possibly be saying that all Christians believe that God will provide everything for them in their life because your neighbor is an example of someone who does.  I'd say most don't.

Ion.67

I'd say that is has a certain mental place in all Christians, like praying. Anything you pray for that betters your life or someone else's could be accomplished by other means. If you friend is in the hospital, don't pray that he will get better, pay. If you don't have the money then get a job. I think that simply hoping and passing it off as working because you said words at night is pointless and gets nothing done.

Farley4Fan

God grant me strength so that I can talk some sense into Ion.

Tidenburg

I still think Farley is trulzing. Ion, you know the concepts but you're shit at explaining them.

/thread

Spark Mandriller

Quote from: FarleyFan on April 01, 2010, 02:43:48 AM
God grant me strength so that I can talk some sense into Ion.

This is probably the first post you've made that I've liked.

Farley4Fan

Quote from: Tidenburg on April 01, 2010, 06:57:28 PM
I still think Farley is trulzing. Ion, you know the concepts but you're shit at explaining them.

/thread

I was responding to what I deemed a troll post.