i am an atheist

Started by Roberto1223, December 15, 2008, 11:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scope2005

I like the Hindu religion...

Yes they have their own pantheon of gods, but they also believe in - and can actively worship the gods of the other religions! . this includes God/Jehova/Allah (whatever you call him!), Buddah, and the various flavous of pagan gods if they so wish!

Basically thier ethos is that anyone can worship whoever they want and be respected - nobody is wrong in thier beliefs!

Perhaps if all religions were like this then we wouldn't have zealous nutcases blowing themselves to kingdom come (I guess they would take that remark literally!), trying to enforce thier beliefs on people who dont want them!

A good work friend of mine is hindu, he is just so relaxed and chilled about his religion, at christmas he will sing carols and go to church then go home and worship the hindu gods... how cool is that!

He must literally get presents 3 times a year! Eid, Hannukah, and Christmas! Sweet

Farley4Fan

I believe anyone can worship whoever they want. 

And nowadays the people blowing themselves up aren't trying to force their beliefs.  They are merely doing this in order to get in with the big man upstairs, selfish reasons. 

Fuck em.

scope2005

Quote from: FarleyFan on May 03, 2010, 12:05:24 AM
I believe anyone can worship whoever they want. 

And nowadays the people blowing themselves up aren't trying to force their beliefs.  They are merely doing this in order to get in with the big man upstairs, selfish reasons. 

Fuck em.

Amen ;)

Ion.67

Farley4Fan

TOPIC REBOOT!!

I simply cannot let this thread die.  It is too entertaining no matter what happens or what is said.  Look in the post above.  I still like the discussion.

I'll restart the discussion by saying it is not religion that creates religious wars or crusades, it is human pride.  Pride that each group's way of thinking is the pinnacle, and everyone else's is mere crap. 

Think of it this way.  Take away religion, you still have ridiculous pride and arrogance in humanity.  Take away ridiculous pride and arrogance and you have religion.  In which scenario of removing a certain trait from humanity do you think would have the most wars? 

The one where humanity keeps religion or the one where humanity keeps its arrogance?  Which one would have more wars and animosity?

Don't you think people would find reasons to be superior to one another without religion?  It's not like removing religion takes away arrogance because I have certainly seen arrogance and overly proud atheists as well as religious people.

It's a human nature thing.  So long as there are men, there will be wars - right?

MulleDK19

I worship the almighty CPU!

And you know what? Compared to other religions... My lord always does what I ask of it!

If my heart ever heals, I will make sure it'll never break again.

Farley4Fan

Quote from: MulleDK19 on July 31, 2010, 01:47:21 PM
I worship the almighty CPU!

And you know what? Compared to other religions... My lord always does what I ask of it!

And I bet there would be people out there willing go to war against people who did not worship the mighty CPU. 

Tidenburg

Quote from: Farley4Fan on July 31, 2010, 12:52:45 PM
TOPIC REBOOT!!

I simply cannot let this thread die.  It is too entertaining no matter what happens or what is said.  Look in the post above.  I still like the discussion.

I'll restart the discussion by saying it is not religion that creates religious wars or crusades, it is human pride.  Pride that each group's way of thinking is the pinnacle, and everyone else's is mere crap. 

Think of it this way.  Take away religion, you still have ridiculous pride and arrogance in humanity.  Take away ridiculous pride and arrogance and you have religion.  In which scenario of removing a certain trait from humanity do you think would have the most wars? 

The one where humanity keeps religion or the one where humanity keeps its arrogance?  Which one would have more wars and animosity?

Don't you think people would find reasons to be superior to one another without religion?  It's not like removing religion takes away arrogance because I have certainly seen arrogance and overly proud atheists as well as religious people.

It's a human nature thing.  So long as there are men, there will be wars - right?
Be religious if you want. But know you're basing it on absolutely no evidence and we therefore don't have to respect or obide by your "beliefs".

Blah blah blah, insert shit about religion dividing people. Blah, blah, you can't know humans would fight without religion, you're just projecting, blah blah.

Now retort with tired philosophy or non-points to defend religion.

*insert same old song and dance*

/thread

CurdyMilk

Quote from: Tidenburg on July 31, 2010, 02:55:26 PM
Be religious if you want. But know you're basing it on absolutely no evidence.
/thread
Not even evidence?  It went from no proof to no evidence?  Not even EVIDENCE?  I mean...wow.

goodkebab

What is interesting is that individuals can have deeply profound experiences that are both emotional and physical enough to be considered evidence for themselves.

I have had such experiences with meditation,  where the body enters a suspended state and the mental process is altered in such a way  that I have the proof that I need to believe in what some people call "god"

Ironically,  scientifically it is impossible to prove the existence of the "mind"...but we know it exists.  My father in-law whom is a neuro-scientist is currently researching the Vedas (5000 yr. old books) to scientifically explain the mind.

Tidenburg

Quote from: goodkebab on July 31, 2010, 10:27:59 PM
What is interesting is that individuals can have deeply profound experiences that are both emotional and physical enough to be considered evidence for themselves.

I have had such experiences with meditation,  where the body enters a suspended state and the mental process is altered in such a way  that I have the proof that I need to believe in what some people call "god"

Ironically,  scientifically it is impossible to prove the existence of the "mind"...but we know it exists.  My father in-law whom is a neuro-scientist is currently researching the Vedas (5000 yr. old books) to scientifically explain the mind.

I don't think something that's mind altering requires God at all. The mind itself, like the universe, the eye and everything complex, is just an example of emergence.

I think humans just look for meaning where there is none. It hurts to think it all means nothing and you'll lose it all and be forgotten when you die.

Penguin

Throughout history it is evident that when people lack understanding they turn to supernatural forces for explanations. Show a caveman a computer and to him you are God.

Farley4Fan

Quote from: Tidenburg on July 31, 2010, 02:55:26 PM
Quote from: Farley4Fan on July 31, 2010, 12:52:45 PM
TOPIC REBOOT!!

Be religious if you want. But know you're basing it on absolutely no evidence and we therefore don't have to respect or obide by your "beliefs".

Blah blah blah, insert shit about religion dividing people. Blah, blah, you can't know humans would fight without religion, you're just projecting, blah blah.

Now retort with tired philosophy or non-points to defend religion.

*insert same old song and dance*

/thread

You seem to be an example of someone who merely sees with his eyes.  Your eyes just don't happen to show you that there is plenty of evidence of God.  The evidence doesn't take you the same way it takes me.  Don't act like I'm ignorant of the evidence.

And how was I saying you should obide by my beliefs?  I was merely asking if you think humans would find other reasons to fight each other.  To me it seems obvious they would, and yet people still blame religion for the cause of deaths of many people.  From my perspective it's not religion's fault, it's the people's fault and they used religion to justify their actions - therefore giving religion a bad rap.