i am an atheist

Started by Roberto1223, December 15, 2008, 11:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Mandriller

hey hey hey i know i'll be cool too

mfw tidenburg is as dumb as fucking cronky

THERE I'M AS COOL AS 4CHAN YAYYYY

Tidenburg

If you're saying I'm David Tennant, then that's all good with me. :)

Jazz_117

The only retarded thing around here is people thinking they know everything.

I'll be completely honest and say that I don't know everything, I just find what makes sense to me and work from that.

One must think outside of the box.  If you think inside the box then all you'll see are the big walls with writing on them, telling you what to think.

You can find concrete evidence to support any theory on the internet.  Especially two theories that conflict with each other.

Anyways, at peace my friends, I'm not participating in this pointless debate any longer.

CurdyMilk

Quote from: Tidenburg on August 01, 2010, 05:57:18 PM
Most people who argue against evolution fail to ignore it's almost universally accepted amongst scientists and are awfully misinformed, just as you've shown.
I'm sorry Mr. Tidenburg, but you have been heavily misinformed.  There are thousands, maybe even a million scientists who do not believe in evolution as the origin of life...and they have reasons for believing what they do.  In fact, there are many scientists who switch from believing in evolution to a Creator.  Now, I am not saying that there are more scientists who believe in creation than evolution, but there are plenty.  Don't act as if it is universally accepted.  Either way, I would not want to rely on scientists to try to explain things to me about how things happened.  They really don't have much more knowledge than us other than looking at a rock and saying it is a billion years old.  I truly believe the universe is less than 20,000 years old, there is no reason for me to think otherwise.  Look at everything for yourself rather than trusting some geniuses with theories.  If you come up with the conclusion that everything just happened from nothing, then fine.

Quote from: Tidenburg on August 01, 2010, 03:56:32 PM
I live as though there is no God, I do what I enjoy and I want to get the most out of my life. No way in hell I'm risking doing shit all just for a potential next life. Besides, I live by what's acceptable to society but that's only coincidental. I mostly just make sure I'm not being especially detrimental to other people because they should get to enjoy their lives too.

If I get to heaven and God's like "oh you didn't obide by these specific rules", then fuck him. He's not worth of being called a God.

tldr: If there is a God AND an afterlife, then he's probably not like the one our religions imagine.
Getting the most out of your life means living as though there is no God?  Hmm... So if you believe in God then your life can't be any fun?

Tidenburg

Quoteof your life means living as though there is no God?  Hmm... So if you believe in God then your life can't be any fun?

Nope, just saying. It would make no difference if I believe in him or not. Most religions' rules don't make sense for a universal creator to want us to follow. In other words, if I believed in him or not, the way I live my life wouldn't change. I live and do what makes me happy while trying not to hurt other people while doing so, so even if a God did exist I'd hope he'd see that I'm still a good person and not actually get hung up on me having sex before marriage, not going to worship him, etc.

I have no quarrel with people like one of my friends who believes in a God but follow "him" in his own way.

frvge

Quote from: CurdyMilk on August 02, 2010, 05:57:46 AM
maybe even a million scientists who do not believe in evolution as the origin of life...

maybe because nobody claims it's the origin of life? D'oh. TWO concepts. Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis (origin of life) vs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution (evolution)
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

CurdyMilk

Quote from: frvge on August 02, 2010, 10:26:10 AM
maybe even a million scientists who do not believe in evolution as the origin of life...

maybe because nobody claims it's the origin of life? D'oh. TWO concepts. Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis (origin of life) vs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution (evolution)
Oops sorry perhaps I should have read my quote more carefully.  Yes, they are two different concepts that I mixed up in the wrong spot.  My head hurts really bad after reading the abiogenesis page because I cannot keep all of the hypothesis straight anymore.  I guess it is considered a study, so it makes some sense that they have a lot of ideas because there isn't any real answer found.

It is still interesting to see what people think though.

Farley4Fan

Quote from: Tidenburg on August 02, 2010, 06:23:12 AM
Quoteof your life means living as though there is no God?  Hmm... So if you believe in God then your life can't be any fun?

Nope, just saying. It would make no difference if I believe in him or not. Most religions' rules don't make sense for a universal creator to want us to follow. In other words, if I believed in him or not, the way I live my life wouldn't change. I live and do what makes me happy while trying not to hurt other people while doing so, so even if a God did exist I'd hope he'd see that I'm still a good person and not actually get hung up on me having sex before marriage, not going to worship him, etc.

I have no quarrel with people like one of my friends who believes in a God but follow "him" in his own way.

Obviously these "rules" were made to be broken, because Christianity is mostly a religion about self redemption and forgiveness.  The God I believe in is very forgiving but only if you genuinely regret your actions.

Zedblade

What a random number you pulled out of your ass. Evolution is acknowledged as fact by pretty much all Biologists... which is the scientific field that matters.

Anyway, I still don't see why Evolution and the belief in God has to be mutually exclusive. Science could be the language of god. When I think of an all perfect being with a 'plan.' I don't think of someone who just magically made us appear 10,000 years ago. I think of someone who creates a universe with laws, laws that work by themselves to, over billions of years, craft a reality that has structure and that could be understood by those willing to learn his 'language'.

Farley4Fan

Quote from: Zedblade on August 03, 2010, 09:43:48 PM

What a random number you pulled out of your ass. Evolution is acknowledged as fact by pretty much all Biologists... which is the scientific field that matters.

Anyway, I still don't see why Evolution and the belief in God has to be mutually exclusive. Science could be the language of god. When I think of an all perfect being with a 'plan.' I don't think of someone who just magically made us appear 10,000 years ago. I think of someone who creates a universe with laws, laws that work by themselves to, over billions of years, craft a reality that has structure and that could be understood by those willing to learn his 'language'.

Exactly.  God wouldn't work with magic dust and form us from clay especially if he was actually trying to test our faith in him.  God would have to leave evidence of a completely "natural" creation of humans in order to create conflict.

It's my belief that God initiated the creation of the universe and before doing this he applied laws.  God used evolution to slowly create humans.  He probably pities that we try to deduce our origins through our petty ways of science.

The Big Bang?  Think of that as the initiation, the sudden creation.  God made the meatloaf, and stuck a grenade inside - which made a big meaty mess we call the universe.   :D

CurdyMilk

Anyway, I still don't see why Evolution and the belief in God has to be mutually exclusive. Science could be the language of god. When I think of an all perfect being with a 'plan.' I don't think of someone who just magically made us appear 10,000 years ago. I think of someone who creates a universe with laws, laws that work by themselves to, over billions of years, craft a reality that has order and that could be understood by those willing to learn his 'language'.
Ok Ok ok.  So it is an exaggeration.  And I used to word "maybe" to indicate that I wasn't confident in the statement, it was more of a number to emphasize something.  Relax.  But the point is- there are plenty of scientists who believe in creation.  And as I said before, there are more who believe in evolution than creation.  So in a sense, I am in agreement, just not to the same extent.  Why does everybody have to go on an attacking spree?

Anyway, I still don't see why Evolution and the belief in God has to be mutually exclusive.
You are right here.  For instance, if someone were to believe in God, most would agree that he did not create every kind of bird, dog, cat, etc.  Species arise through alterations.  And laws are also an innate part of our universe that work by themselves, I just don't believes that the laws themselves worked over time to create our universe.  There we have similiarities.

In order for any people to have discussions with topics such as this, they have to first understand exactly what each other is thinking so they are on the same page.  ;)  Then work from there.

CurdyMilk

Quote from: Farley4Fan on August 03, 2010, 10:12:19 PM
The Big Bang?  Think of that as the initiation, the sudden creation.  God made the meatloaf, and stuck a grenade inside - which made a big meaty mess we call the universe.   :D
Haha

Zedblade

I'm not attacking you curdy, but pulling numbers out of thin air isn't an effective way to debate.

I would know.

I'm a masterdebater

...wow that was lame...

CurdyMilk

Quote from: Zedblade on August 03, 2010, 10:31:44 PM
I'm not attacking you curdy, but pulling numbers out of thin air isn't an effective way to debate.

I would know.

I'm a masterdebater

...wow that was lame...
;D  I understand this.  Rather than getting numbers out of the air, I could find at least 1,000 scientists in a list for you if you wanted.  But I won't worry about it anymore.  And it was not part of a debate, it was more of a statement so people realize that there are indeed scientists who differ on things.

Tidenburg

Quote from: CurdyMilk on August 03, 2010, 10:45:02 PM
Quote from: Zedblade on August 03, 2010, 10:31:44 PM

I would know.

I'm a masterdebater

...wow that was lame...
;D  I understand this.  Rather than getting numbers out of the air, I could find at least 1,000 scientists in a list for you if you wanted.  But I won't worry about it anymore.  And it was not part of a debate, it was more of a statement so people realize that there are indeed scientists who differ on things.
A thousand is nothing compared to the amount of biologists there probably are. :/

Also, why not the big bang? It sounds like the last bastion for religion really. The universe is too complex to have just spontaneously been created, right? But any being that created it would have to be more complex than the universe and therefore also requires a creator (from your previous logic). It's recursive.

The big bang is what I'm going with now but I'm not really versed on the subject, I just know it's what's agreed upon by scientists and I know that if they're wrong, they will admit it and change the theory. Unlike the other option I could choose, if scientists found out (somehow) that there was undoubtedly a God, they would accept the fact that the other side is right.

To paraphrase Bones (a show apparently only I watch), even if I cannot see the cause for an effect, I can take comfort in the fact that all around me I see evidence that for every effect there is a rational cause and explanation; So even if the cause is something I cannot see, everything I can all leads me to believe that it will be rational when we find it. Faith in the facts ;D