What are your 2009 Game of the Year Awards.

Started by Zedblade, January 01, 2010, 09:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zedblade

Reading around the net I've seen a lot of game sites publishing there game of the year awards and was just wondering what the opinion of the PS community is.

Mine are:

PS3 GOTY: Uncharted 2
Xbox360 GOTY: Street Fighter IV
Wii GOTY: New Super Mario Bros Wii
DS GOTY: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
PC GOTY: Dragon Age: Origins

Overall GOTY: Street Fighter IV

Personally I think Modern Warfare 2 is winning way more then it should be. It's the most overrated game of the decade, let alone of the year.

frvge

I don't play consoles, but for PC I think Batman: Arkham Asylum is pretty good, especially for a license game. L4D2's multiplayer is also good. I'd pick Batman as GOTY.

Now the games coming out in jan/feb, that's gonna be great with Bioshock 2 and Mass Effect 2. Really looking forward to those.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Street Fighter IV.
If only I could run it under Kubuntu :/
And maybe... nah, SF4.

Aj

My favorite from last year would have to be Batman for PC, and MW2 for 360.  Yes, the PC version is poorly done from what I have read(no dedis and the sort) but the 360 version is done very well.

I'd say MW2 for 360 and Batman: AA for PC.

Batman is hella fun!

Savior20061

What was wrong with the PC version. I heard that a lot of people had been illegally modifying stuff in the game. Like "boosting" and that sort of thing.
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7339/savsig2cp5.jpg[/img]
An upcoming novel by me.
Melonie from SC forums made this sig =D

Spekkio

Quote from: Zedblade on January 01, 2010, 09:24:21 PM
Reading around the net I've seen a lot of game sites publishing there game of the year awards and was just wondering what the opinion of the PS community is.

Mine are:

PS3 GOTY: Uncharted 2
Xbox360 GOTY: Street Fighter IV
Wii GOTY: New Super Mario Bros Wii
DS GOTY: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
PC GOTY: Dragon Age: Origins

Overall GOTY: Street Fighter IV

Personally I think Modern Warfare 2 is winning way more then it should be. It's the most overrated game of the decade, let alone of the year.
It's hard to side with Uncharted 2 for GOTY...It's a good game, and I certainly enjoyed it, but I 100% agree with Yahtzee that it is a "safe" game. It's just thrown together a bunch of aspects that have been proven strong selling points and repackaged it into a "new" game.

Street Fighter 4 is a great game. It's a shame that many people entering their 20's never experienced the greatness of SF2, and SF4 takes the game to new depths while staying true to the original gameplay. It doesn't try to utilize 3-D gameplay that ends up fucking up every other modern fighting game because it boils down to a simple side-step button. If you like fighters at all (which, along with RPGs, is a dwindling genre), then you have to get this game. However, as a port of an arcade game that was released in 2008, it's kind of cheating to call it the 2009 GOTY.

Honestly, it's hard for me to pick a GOTY '09 for PS3 because nothing sticks out. RE5 was a major disappointment compared to RE4, I agree that MW2 is probably one of the most overrated games of all time (with the winner of that category being Halo, since its popularity stems from a bunch of teenagers who never bothered to discover Quake 3 Arena, which is vastly superior in every way, jizzing over its deathmatch mode), and there are many games that have been released across multiple systems. I haven't played Dragon's Age: Origins because my PS3 is still in storage, although I'd probably like that game a lot. There are several games that were good, but nothing that was great to the point that I could definitively call it the GOTY.

I'd have to go with Batman Arkham Asylum though, because it's the first licensed game that was not only good, but great. It's like playing through a new comic episode while still staying true to the Batman mythos instead of fucking it upside down like so many other licensed products do.

Westfall

PC GOTY: L4D2 (just cuz I'm addicted)
XBox GOTY: Borderlands
Wii GOTY: New Super Mario Bros Wii (so much fun, play it)
DS GOTY: N/A
PS3 GOTY: N/A

Farley4Fan

360: Forza Motorsport 3
Wii: New Super Mario Bros (though I just got a wii along with smash bros and the new zelda, so all the games are new to me)
PC: I actually did not play one PC game this year other than Crysis Wars and some secret CT sessions.  Which are secret.

Spekkio

Stop voting for "NEW Super Mario Bros" on the Wii. Nintendo is just re-hashing the same old shit. Sorry, you don't get points for re-making a game from 1985 with prettier graphics.

But hey, I guess they should get points for getting people to spend $50 on the Wii version instead of $.05 on the NES version.

monterto

http://sc2sig.com/s/us/329891-1.png[/img][/url]
Click to view my detailed stats![/url]

Spark Mandriller

Quote from: Spekkio on January 10, 2010, 04:45:35 AM
Stop voting for "NEW Super Mario Bros" on the Wii. Nintendo is just re-hashing the same old shit. Sorry, you don't get points for re-making a game from 1985 with prettier graphics.

Hey, hey, it's got not very well implemented coop. Kinda wierd how that mode seems like such an afterthought, really. I mean, I thought it was the main focus of the dev team.

Westfall

Quote from: Spekkio on January 10, 2010, 04:45:35 AM

But hey, I guess they should get points for getting people to spend $50 on the Wii version instead of $.05 on the NES version.

um, it's a remake of Mario 3, which is far after 1985 (1991 I think), but far cunner. Having 4 ppl run around and cause mayhem is great. To mutiplayer mario bros I say it's about time. Anyone completely clear it and open all of level 9?

Farley4Fan

QuoteStop voting for "NEW Super Mario Bros" on the Wii. Nintendo is just re-hashing the same old shit. Sorry, you don't get points for re-making a game from 1985 with prettier graphics.

Shadow Complex.

(in other words: you are wrong, sir)

Savior20061

Quote from: Papa Skull on January 13, 2010, 01:53:46 AM
QuoteStop voting for "NEW Super Mario Bros" on the Wii. Nintendo is just re-hashing the same old shit. Sorry, you don't get points for re-making a game from 1985 with prettier graphics.

Shadow Complex.

(in other words: you are wrong, sir)
I heard that got good reviews. Kinda like a new Metroid style back in action. I'm boycotting anything written by/collaborated with Card, though.
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7339/savsig2cp5.jpg[/img]
An upcoming novel by me.
Melonie from SC forums made this sig =D

Farley4Fan

It got great reviews, got solid sales, awards at the end of the year, you name it.  I'm just saying the tried and true formulas in a new skin can be amazing.  I downloaded it and loved it, along with everyone else who DL'd it.

I also just got Splosion Man.  Honestly, I'm enjoying a lot of it more than the new Mario game for wii.  It's more puzzle oriented and mario is more about reflex-twitch-platforming with loads of nostalgia.  They're different but both awesome platformers.