SCCT Versus Maps

Started by CurdyMilk, February 21, 2010, 03:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CurdyMilk

I have uploaded 20 Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Versus Maps for everyone to download on filefront.  These can be used for personal use, online gaming, or for the development of Project Stealth.  Note that most files come in folders including static meshes, etc. which need to be placed in their proper place before the map will work.  I have included all download maps except Mr. Mic's Map Pack and the Hard Jumps.  I hope you enjoy these! Link: http://www.filefront.com/user/CurdyMilk

All maps included:

1.  Artillery Warehouse
2.  Base Secret
3.  Cargoship
4.  Chemical Industries
5.  Clarity Soft Inc.
6.  Die Turnhalle
7.  Dock
8.  Eden
9.  Heliport
10. Hotel 57
11. HQ Zodiak
12. Island
13. Minen Gefarth
14. Outpost
15. Red Tower
16. Shadow Moses
17. State Union
18. Station Orbitale
19. Stockhouse
20. Sublabs

CurdyMilk

These are the awkard/bug/glitch maps, but they are still playable:

Artillery Warehouse (lags in one area)
Cargoship (only in the initial stage when you are on the mini-boat)
Die Turnhalle (one ladder cannot be climbed)
Island (picture does not show up before launch)
Minen Gefarth (mines outside, and only 1 way into the building from up top by the disk return)
Red Tower (can get trapped in one area)

These are the only problems that I can remember...  The rest of the maps seem fine.  
I strongly recommend the following:

base secret, cargoship, chemical industries (huge), clarity soft (huge), dock, eden (huge), heliport, outpost (huge and underground secret), shadow moses, state union, and sublabs

AgentX_003

Quote from: CurdyMilk on February 21, 2010, 03:41:37 AM

Minen Gefarth (mines outside, and only 1 way into the building from up top by the disk return)

These are the only problems that I can remember...  The rest of the maps seem fine.  

base secret, cargoship, chemical industries (huge), clarity soft (huge), dock, eden (huge), heliport, outpost (huge and underground secret), shadow moses, state union, and sublabs
(also the normal polar base and steel squat maps that everybody knows)

Nice but at the same time, Polarbase and steel squat cannot be used due to intellectual property infringement.

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

CurdyMilk

Quote from: AgentX_003 on February 21, 2010, 04:09:55 AM
Quote from: CurdyMilk on February 21, 2010, 03:41:37 AM

(also the normal polar base and steel squat maps that everybody knows)

Nice but at the same time, Polarbase and steel squat cannot be used due to intellectual property infringement.
Sorry about those.  I did not review all of them individually.  O well, those maps can be found elsewhere anyway.  I deleted them from the list.  Thanks for the input.

LennardF1989

Thanks Curdy, would you have any idea who made these maps? You say we can use them for anything, but as long as someone else made them we can't.

CurdyMilk

Quote from: LennardF1989 on February 21, 2010, 12:04:13 PM
Thanks Curdy, would you have any idea who made these maps? You say we can use them for anything, but as long as someone else made them we can't.
No problem.  O yeah as far as legal rights goes...hmm...I am not certain who made any of these maps really.  I found them on splintercellonline.net when the site was up and running well years ago, and I did not bother to record who made the maps.  Some of them have the nickname of the creator in the corner of the display picture, but that is all I really know.  If you could somehow figure out who made it through that nickname and contact them somehow... and maybe someone on the forum has made some of these and can take responsibility.  I know that tigaer has connections to state union, so you could talk to him about using that one.  My best guess is that a couple of these came from Zedblade, but I am not sure.  Couldn't you just take these maps to make minor adjustments with the layouts, bugs, and update the graphics to call it an original map?  If I can remember right, Lakehouse started out as clubhouse and has become your own map (although you have put in a lot more work to make it different).  Hopefully there is a way to just make minor adjustments and make some of these work.   

frvge

IMO the resemblances of Lakehouse to Clubhouse are pretty small. The bigger picture is somewhat the same, but we added a lot of different things (Theater and Dining Hall each have another level/storey) and many, if not all, tactics will have to change in pretty big ways.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Spekkio

Quote from: LennardF1989 on February 21, 2010, 12:04:13 PM
Yes, you can. They put it on the internet for free, it's fair game. You just can't use them to make money unless you get permission.

MR.Mic

I would like to see zioplex in PS.
[size=2]Lead Visual Effects Artist - Advanced Materials, Particles, and Post-Process Effects
Website: http://studentpages.scad.edu/~ctripp20/index.htm][/size]

frvge

Spekkio, you're wrong. It's their IP, we can't use it.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

CurdyMilk

Yeah, I am 90% confident you cannot find most of these maps anywhere else online.  You could possibly find Clarity Soft, but that would probably be the only one.  I agree with Spekkio in that how are you violating any legal rights when:
1. the maker is either already on the forum or will never find out about this game
2. why would the person care anyway since it is only a person, not a company?
3. you are not trying to make a profit from his map
4. you will be updating graphics and making small modifications to make it your own

And if you add some of Mr. Mic's maps (like he mentioned Zioplex), we could already have healthy stack of maps to play before even making your own maps from scratch.

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Quote from: CurdyMilk on February 21, 2010, 10:16:03 PM
4. you will be updating graphics and making huge modifications to make it playable
fixed
Therefore, you can make maps that aren't a "remake of" but "a map inspired by".
There, easy enough, isn't it?

LennardF1989

That sounds like: We are bigger than you, so shut up.

You simply can't do that, how would you feel if Ubisoft would take your map and call it their own, potentially sell it and you don't get a dime for it?

It actually happened with a level of EpicJohn, Epic copied one of his maps (HEAVILY inspired) and it became quite an affair.

CurdyMilk

Quote from: LennardF1989 on February 22, 2010, 01:16:10 AM
That sounds like: We are bigger than you, so shut up.

You simply can't do that, how would you feel if Ubisoft would take your map and call it their own, potentially sell it and you don't get a dime for it?

It actually happened with a level of EpicJohn, Epic copied one of his maps (HEAVILY inspired) and it became quite an affair.
I agree with what you say, but you are getting away from the point I was trying to make:  He made the map individually without any goals for a profit, and you are using the map without any profit either.  Therefore, nobody is gaining/losing money or anything from any of this, which is the primary issue with this.  Am I correct?

Spekkio

Curdy, most of what you say is irrelevant.

The relevant part is that whoever made these maps released them to a community for free; ergo, they are fair game as long as you don't use them to make a profit of your own.

If you want to charge money for PS, then you need their permission or need to pay them for it.

Using an updated version of Zioplex and Oilrig wouldn't be a bad start to the game.