something lurks in the shadows

Started by goodkebab, January 05, 2007, 10:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goodkebab

but what WOULD work is the colors changing whenever a spy makes a loud enough noise to ping the sound meter

frvge

Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Tidenburg

or rather change a different colour when they are just under the level that would set of the Sound detector and then another when they could be.

goodkebab

^^gameplay wise you cannot program that.  A light meter wont work as psychic mentioned....but when you ping the sound meter...a flash of color will train you to avoid making sounds.

Actually, when i think about it....that is such a wicked way to train noobs to be stealthy.

Overstatement

Quote from: goodkebab on February 22, 2007, 09:15:55 PM
^^gameplay wise you cannot program that.  A light meter wont work as psychic mentioned
You can, if the map makers are careful.

goodkebab

I do not consider it possible.  You can program the light meter to show the spy in 100% darkness...but the player should understand that even when he is in shadow....his profile can still be visible.  That is something the map makers cannot avoid.

Cyntrox

Quote from: Overstatement on January 07, 2007, 03:57:02 AM
Obviously, stuff without eyes are prety alien to us. Most animals we see have eyes so the ones that don't are unfamilar and strange. But scary?
Fear of the unknown. [/offtopic]

Lurch

Is it possible to do a sound meter like in CT SP? With the ambient sound system affecting the game play included? Cause the newbs would get the hang of that pretty quickly. Lets say if your sound goes over the ambient noise level, it pings the mercs reticle. But even if not, the mercs could still audibly hear loud noises in loud environments. Of course you'd have to make smokes and such interactive with it.

Overstatement

Sure, why not? But the maps in CT were very abandoned and therefore very quiet.

Tidenburg

I think he means like some maps would have machinery which is on, or maybe a spy could put it on to cover up his noise?! Cars on a road outside or just general creaking could be ambient sounds.

Overstatement

I know, I was just pointing out that CT maps make little noise and therefore the ported maps make little noise (I know they can have changes to make noise if lazyness is not applied).

iservealot

Quote from: goodkebab on February 26, 2007, 09:34:25 AM
I do not consider it possible.  You can program the light meter to show the spy in 100% darkness...but the player should understand that even when he is in shadow....his profile can still be visible.  That is something the map makers cannot avoid.

There are always ways to do something. Well..usually. You could so something crazy like make a pre-renderd shadow map mesh that has all of the static shadows. Then, when ever the player is standing over certain sections of the mesh, the light meeter goes up and down.

Probably a bad idea...but yeah.

Stealth.Hero

I love the style of the spy!!!! but it looks more like its a robot!!

Overstatement

Quote from: iservealot on March 19, 2007, 03:11:45 AM
Quote from: goodkebab on February 26, 2007, 09:34:25 AM

There are always ways to do something. Well..usually. You could so something crazy like make a pre-renderd shadow map mesh that has all of the static shadows. Then, when ever the player is standing over certain sections of the mesh, the light meeter goes up and down.

Probably a bad idea...but yeah.

That wasn't his point. He wasn't talking about a programming problem.

LiVe.To.Di3

nice but his arm is so long lol:D or maybe i just see this detail idk