Building a Computer, Recommendations?

Started by Cronky, April 30, 2012, 10:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cronky

I went far overkill with the RAM since it didn't cost too much more. I figured if 8GB was the minimum I should get, and 32 was the max, then 16 was a nice in between. :P
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

AgentX_003

Quote from: Cronky on May 26, 2012, 05:13:02 PM
I went far overkill with the RAM since it didn't cost too much more. I figured if 8GB was the minimum I should get and 32 was the max, then 16 was a nice in between. :P

I have no way of telling you personally but, seriously Biostar ?! , they are the worst company for motherboards.

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

knooger

You are wrong Agent, actually they are good. Same with Asrock nowadays :)
Ivy Bridge nice! :> If you will not use all your ram you can always make some RamDisks :D and put into them cache etc.

@nubishdubishbone
EVGA is very good, nice warranty and quality of products but it's so expensive. I'm happy owner of their GTX285. :D
In my opinion SLI is overrated - twice more heat, twice more power needed and many games/apps don't support it that good as we would like them to do.

Cronky

Quote from: AgentX_003 on May 26, 2012, 05:28:17 PM
Quote from: Cronky on May 26, 2012, 05:13:02 PM
I went far overkill with the RAM since it didn't cost too much more. I figured if 8GB was the minimum I should get and 32 was the max, then 16 was a nice in between. :P

I have no way of telling you personally but, seriously Biostar ?! , they are the worst company for motherboards.

After looking around at a bunch of boards on Newegg, that board I picked had the most features (Ivy Bridge/PCI-E3.0 capable, Front panel USB 3.0 and easily able to OC apparently in case I get curious) for the most reasonable point. Not too spendy, but not too cheap. I'll know though that if I have a problem with it then I'll have to remember that I get what I paid for.

Quote from: KnoogeR on May 26, 2012, 06:48:46 PM
You are wrong Agent, actually they are good. Same with Asrock nowadays :)
Ivy Bridge nice! :> If you will not use all your ram you can always make some RamDisks :D and put into them cache etc.

Glad to hear at least one person say I didn't make a terrible decision. So far I'm 1-1! ;)

Considering that the 3570k was only 20 dollars more than the 2500k, but actually activated all those features listed above, it seemed like a good choice. Though after hours of reading it still seems like the 2500k is the better choice in some respects. Heat sounds like it's worse on the 3570k if I try to OC. Also there seems to be no Hyper Threading on the 3570k...

Comparing it to my previous computer rather than the potential of newer configurations is what I'm focusing on though. In that respect the stuff I picked is going to whoop it's ass. Hopefully it'll also last me just as long as my last one did also. At the very least it seems more upgrade friendly than my previous setup.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------

RaDRoacH

i know that you can go over 32 GB of ram... but why you need all this ram?
Sorry if my english is not perfect.

Cronky

I don't really have a good reason for that other than, is more RAM a bad thing? Considering that going overboard didn't cost too much more than the bare minimum I was told to get, I thought I might as well go for it!

Who knows how much computron power I'll need by this time 4 or so years from now. If I'm lucky though then RAM will be 1 thing I wont have to upgrade at that time. :P
-----------------------

knooger

There will be DDR4 in 4-5 years i think also sockets will be different so you will have to change motherboard again etc. :)

Cronky

why tell me this when I'm so excited to have something somewhat current knooger? ;)

Also, just bought my Motherboard. WOOO! Soon I will have a computer again!
-----------------------