Main Menu

Drive

Started by Farley4Fan, September 18, 2011, 08:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farley4Fan

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780504/

I've become quite a big Nicolas Winding Refn fan recently (Bronson and Valhalla Rising in particular, both of which I also recommend), and I was super excited to hear he was getting a wide-release movie that could get the mainstream hearing about him.

I took a girl to go see it last night and our plans to make out the entire time were almost completely foiled by this masterpiece of a film.  The opening scene is intriguing and sets the stage for the rest of the movie.  The movie follows a stunt driver, whose name you never learn, as he provides his driving services like a mercenary for a predetermined amount of time.  The business of the people who hire him does not concern him until he gets caught in the middle of it.  It has a superb story that is a touch cliche but has enough to make it unique and interesting.  Action scenes were insanely good, imo.  Acting was great.  Soundtrack is catchy.  Comic relief is there in the perfect spots.  It's believable (something that Hollywood lacks more often than not these days).  It has an awesome style that if I had to describe I would say: techno-rogue-badass.

As for opinions other than mine, it's getting stellar reviews all across the board.  A 90 something on rotten tomatoes.  An average of 8.8 on IMDB which is almost unheard of.  IGN gave it a 5/5 - something they haven't done since Inception and I think District 9 before that.

So go see it and support it.  Tell your friends.  It has some marketing but only a few non-convincing commercials.

Cronky

I feel bad that no one posted any responses.

The movie doesn't look half bad, and if rotten tomatoes scores mean anything to anyone then:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/drive_2011/

It got a 92%

Which is one of the higher scores of movies currently out in theaters.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

Farley4Fan

I think the problem is that the trailers don't even come close to doing it justice.  Movie is great, trailers don't even fit the mood of the movie well at all.  The trailer (at least the one I watched) was filled with action and the cliche montage of scenes you would see in a Fast and Furious trailer.  The movie was calmly intense punctuated with scenes of violence and visceral chases.