Need help English Assignment - Weak forms, strong forms, homphones, devoicing et

Started by Sunshine, February 18, 2010, 01:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunshine

So, I've got a english assignment which I really don't understand or can do.. so I hope someone here is really good and can help me it with so many examples as you want. It's max 5 but like 2-3 would be great, all 5 would be even greater though..

Here's the thing I should do:

"Using examples from the very same story above, explain briefly what is meant by any five (neither more nor less) of following: a) clear /I) b) dark /I/ c) glottal stops, d)  aspiration, e) assimilation, f) elision, g) intrusive /r/, h) devoicing, i) honophones, j) homopgrahs, k) reduction of unstressed syllables, i) weak forms, m) strong forms, n) secondary stress, o) stress in compounds"

Remember, you can pick any of these example and it should be a total of five.. I hope someone can help me cause this text took me a really long time to write... :)

Here's the story:
The day the letter arrived, I was due in court on the intricate case of Melchett versus the Vatican, which was coming to a delicate and potentially explosive stage. THe letter then came as a welcome diversion, and I tipped the delivery boy out of the window with more than ordinary genorosity. Even then I fancy I gave a momentary shudder as I unfolded the letter. But it was a cold morning and, in accordance with Mr Tulkinghorn's instructions with regard to Melchett versus the Vatican, I was naked. The letter read as follows:
If Mr John Lawson-Particle will travel immediatly to Transylvania as the honoured guest of Count Dracula, to personally advise his Excellency on a matter of great legal delicacy, Mr Lawson-Particle will be handsomly remunerated. He is to  bring on his journey: no garlic, no crucifixes, no wooden stakes. Neither is he to look up in a dictionry the word 'vampire'.
It seemed innocent enough. Excited at the prospect of escpaing a dreary London August, I rushed into Mr Tulkinghorn's office. He read the letter trough, and eyed me carefully. Then he looked at my face.
"You don't find anything strange in this letter, Mr Lawson-Particle?"
"Ah, you noticed it too, sir: the split infinitive in the first sentence, yes."
"No, I was thinking... Never mind.. You plan to go on this suic... on this fascinating journey?"
"with your permission, sir, I will go straight home, dress, and take the first train to Southampton."
Four days later saw me standing at the gates of Castle Dracula, weary and travel-stained. Prudence has demanded that I leave her behind, so I was alone. Night was just falling as I knocked on the mighty oaken door and heard the asnwering echoes ring trough the castle. After what seemed a cliché, iron bolts were drawn back, the portal swung open, and Count Dracula's manservant stood before me. Of all the hideosuly disfigured sepctatles I have ever beheld, those perched on the end of this man's nose remain forever pasted into the album of my memory.
Bowing low, this loathsome wretch introduced himself:
"Travolta, sir, at your servile. If you will follow me, I shall tell the Master you arrived."
Walking with a promounced limp - L-I-M-MP, prunounced limp - he showed me into a waiting room.. - sorry, into a waiting-room - and vanished. Presently, he returned with his master.
"Ah, Mr Lawson-Particle", cried the Count. "Welcome to Castle Dracula! Dinner is in half an hour if you would care to change. We could leave buisness untill tomorrow. Travolta will show you to your room. Tell me, what blood type are you?"
"Eh?"
"I said ' What blood type are you'"
"Oh", I said. "B."
I tried to question Travolta as I dressed for dinner. I asked him the nature of the Count's buisness, but he made the sign of the cross and said nothing. I asked him why there were no mirrors in the castle, but this time he made the sign of the very cross indeed and spat. This was puzzling. I couldn't see myself spending a month in a house without mirrors. The man was either mad or both.
"Cape on for dinner, sir." said Travolta as we descended the vast stairway.
"Capon? yummy!" I replied.
"No sir. The count always insist that his guests put a cape on for dinner."
And what a dismal repast it was. I passed a fitful night in my vast bedroom. Below me I could hear the Count's footsteps echoing in the hallway.
I arose early, made my toilet, sat on it and then came down to breakfast. Travolta informed me that his master had gone to bed at dawn and would expect me in his study later that evening. It was a dreary morning. The greatest excitement I had to look forward to was the prospect of a total eclipse of the sun, which was expected during the afternoon. When the time came, I watched trough a fragmente of smoked glass at the moon slid slowly across the surface of the sun and darkness shrourded the Earth. I startled at a sound behind me.
By the dim light of a candle I had prudently placed on the table, I could see that it was Count Dracula, my client. He seemed a little excited. A tendril of spaghetti appeared to be protruding from either side of his mouth.
"Why, good afternoon, Count" I cried. "I wasn't expecting you untill this evening. Have you come to enjoy the spectacle?"
"spectacle?"
"the solar eclipse"
He looked out of the window.
"Solar eclipse?"
"yes - it's the first total eclipse I've ever seen. Exciting, isn't it?"
"oh shit!"
"Is there something wrong, Count?"
"How much longer is it going to last?" he cried, and I could see the fear in his blood-red eyes.
"well, it's just ending now." I replied. "Look at that. Splendid, isn't it?"
I turned in time to watch the moon moving slowly away from the sun, and light once more flooding the scene.
"Have you ever seen anything so... Oh. Count?"
But he dissaperad, leaving his cape behind him. In his hurry, he must have upset the ashtray on the floor beside it.
I never saw him again.

CurdyMilk

Do you want definitions of those words or examples of how to use them in a sentence?  I am confused at what you are asking help with.  Descriptions of what?

Farley4Fan

You would like someone to write a paper for you?  From this site?  I don't think you understand that the only people who actually do work on this site are people actively (hopefully) working on Project Stealth.

LennardF1989

Your assignment is to pick not more or less than five of the following words:
a) clear /I)
b) dark /I/
c) glottal stops,
d)  aspiration,
e) assimilation,
f) elision,
g) intrusive /r/,
h) devoicing,
i) honophones,
j) homopgrahs,
k) reduction of unstressed syllables,
i) weak forms,
m) strong forms,
n) secondary stress,
o) stress in compounds"

And use the text above to find out in what context they're used and what they mean. I suggest you write it down as follows:
Chosen word:
Sentence from text:
Meaning (in English):
Meaning (in native language):

Why should we help you with that when you have the text AND a dictionary (and Google)?

Bubbaganoosh

Quote from: LennardF1989 on February 19, 2010, 01:38:15 PM
Your assignment is to pick not more or less than five of the following words:
a) clear /I)
b) dark /I/
c) glottal stops,
d)  aspiration,
e) assimilation,
f) elision,
g) intrusive /r/,
h) devoicing,
i) honophones,
j) homopgrahs,
k) reduction of unstressed syllables,
i) weak forms,
m) strong forms,
n) secondary stress,
o) stress in compounds"

And use the text above to find out in what context they're used and what they mean. I suggest you write it down as follows:
Chosen word:
Sentence from text:
Meaning (in English):
Meaning (in native language):

Why should we help you with that when you have the text AND a dictionary (and Google)?

I thought that's what they wanted too but those words don't appear in the text. I think they want him to pick five words from the list, get their meaning, and show text from the story that relates to the meaning of the chosen words.

Pick elision and look at the Wiki meaning:

"Elision is the omission of one or more sounds (such as a vowel, a consonant, or a whole syllable) in a word or phrase, producing a result that is easier for the speaker to pronounce"

Now find text in the story that is an example of the above meaning.

I THINK that's what they want.
"It is a well-documented fact that if you smoke weed you will become a terrorist."  - Farley4Fan
Well it made me lol.

Spekkio

Your transcription of the text has a lot of typos and grammatical errors...is it actually copied verbatim?

I won't do the assignment for you, since that would be academic dishonesty. However, this is what the assignment sounds like to me: you have to pick a sentences, words, or paragraphs from the text that demonstrates the meaning of any 5 of the words on your list.

Example:

Dark: "Night was just falling as I knocked on the mighty oaken door and heard the asnwering echoes ring trough the castle. After what seemed a cliché, iron bolts were drawn back, the portal swung open, and Count Dracula's manservant stood before me. Of all the hideosuly disfigured sepctatles I have ever beheld, those perched on the end of this man's nose remain forever pasted into the album of my memory."

So the assignment isn't to define the words, but to demonstrate your ability to recognize examples of those writing tools in a text.

Good luck.

frvge

AFAIK:
Elision: "Splendid, isn't it?"
Assimilation: "it's"

Both are not sure, because it's been a long time since my last language lessons and I'm basically translating Dutch stuff to English. I did read a shitload of English poems. :)
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Spekkio

No, that's not what elision is referring to. However, it's difficult to pick out instances of elision because there are so many typos in the passage.

Savior20061

It's also difficult to understand we he's gone to a social forum for help when he could've asked his teacher.  :P
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7339/savsig2cp5.jpg[/img]
An upcoming novel by me.
Melonie from SC forums made this sig =D

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Quote from: Savior20061 on February 20, 2010, 09:08:51 PM
It's also difficult to understand why she's gone to a social forum for help when she could've asked her teacher.  :P
fix'd

Sunshine

Well, I did not ask you to help me with all answers, I just wanted help with ONE cause I didn't really understand how I would make an example from the text to describe one of the words. However, a friend showed me one answer and then it was alot more simple then I thought so then I completed the assignment without problems.

So thanks anyway for those who tried to help!