Project Stealth - Tutorial Idea.

Started by DreadStunLock, August 21, 2010, 03:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Mandriller

Quote from: STON3COLDKILLA on September 03, 2010, 06:34:20 PM
Sorry for the offtopic, but I feel that was necessary.

you might take the internet a little too seriously if you think you NEED to respond to someone calling you an idiot online
i mean srsly dude

the rest of your post was boring and didn't really make much sense so i don't think i want to respond to it. frvge would be all sad if i did anyway. try harder next time.

Quote from: Farley4Fan on September 04, 2010, 12:49:17 AM
You really can't know how many people the CT tutorials helped.  You can't say it helped no one.  If it didn't help you, then you were probably already above the level of knowledge presented by the tutorial.  So your opinion on the subject is kind of skewed.

See, that's the problem. Tutorials are only good for the most basic things possible. There's no way you can fit more advanced stuff in without it being huge and needing constant updates as new strategies come up. It is kind of a waste to make a map when all it's gonna do is tell people how to jump and that grenades explode.
I dunno if I'm against a tutorial in general, but it is hard to think of many games which had tutorials that weren't honestly pretty pointless. At least dump all this movement crap to focus on the PS stuff like visions and whatever. You think anyone needs training on how to jump? Even if they did, they can practice that shit without a special map for it. :/

Farley4Fan

Basic movement is stupid in a tutorial.  For spy it should focus on how he can navigate through the map (vents, ceilings, ziplines, pipes, etc), the kinds of objectives/security, and the effects of the gadgets.  Maybe some close combat things but obviously that is learned through playtime.  For merc it should focus on his visions and gadgets.  Things like target practice or a shooting range portion aren't necessary haha

VaNilla

Quote from: B-3A Misty Lady on September 04, 2010, 11:42:55 AM
you might take the internet a little too seriously if you think you NEED to respond to someone calling you an idiot online
i mean srsly dude

the rest of your post was boring and didn't really make much sense so i don't think i want to respond to it. frvge would be all sad if i did anyway. try harder next time.

No, I just think that sometimes, assholes like you need to be put in their place.

unskilled

For Fucks Sake... is any tutorial learning newbies anything? I don't think so.
It just need simple screen with keyboard settings and overall overview.. nothing more.

Spark Mandriller

Quote from: Farley4Fan on September 04, 2010, 01:31:36 PM
Basic movement is stupid in a tutorial.  For spy it should focus on how he can navigate through the map (vents, ceilings, ziplines, pipes, etc), the kinds of objectives/security, and the effects of the gadgets.  Maybe some close combat things but obviously that is learned through playtime.  For merc it should focus on his visions and gadgets.  Things like target practice or a shooting range portion aren't necessary haha

Yeah, and what's in the OP? "a small maze just so that a player knows how to walk around more efficiently". Now that is a waste of time.
Most of a tutorial could just be put in a .pdf or something, I've gotta say. I don't even know how a lot of things could be explained without a text dump. How are you going to tell someone that camo suits make you show up on EMF? Nothing a tutorial can do there that a document couldn't do more easily, and a document is a lot easier to make. Is there anything a tutorial could do better? I can't really think of much. It can let you try out items to see the exact range of a grenade or whatever, but someone could just do that by starting a game with no players. We don't need a tutorial for it. Seems pointless.

Quote from: STON3COLDKILLA on September 04, 2010, 01:52:46 PM
No, I just think that sometimes, assholes like you need to be put in their place.

stonecoldkilla, finding it necessary to put assholes in their place wherever he sees them

and i'm the guy who's trying to be a hard man huh

VaNilla

That makes me hard? I didn't know you got so easily upset, maybe you're not the hard man you pretend to be after all...

DreadStunLock

SPY BULLET - TUTORIAL IDEA CONTINUED

Hello again, since off-topic people killed my thread, I will revive it, after long time of thinking of how to do gadget tutorial I decided to have a go and improvise, so.

As you can see in a picture, it's got, 3 Towers, 4 Mercenary spawns(Green Boxes), Entrance (X), finish(O) and alot of blue lines around the mercenaries which represent the view of where they will look at.

Now the point of this tutorial Idea, is to teach the spies of how to use Spy Bullets.

But before that for this tutorial to be effective it should have few rules for spies to carry out in order to finish this part of the tutorial.

First, the spy cannot be detected by the mercenaries flash light.

Spies cannot jump on the mercenaries or else it will be a detection after they will wake up.

Spies need to place atleast 3 or more spy bullets and only 1 radar.

The blue lines which represent the line of sight, and the ones that are all around the mercenaries is actually they are pointing with the flashlight and looking around for the spy, I am guessing it should be a slow turning and in 1 pattern. For example the mercenary inside a pit, should look up and scan and rotate 360 degrees always. Same goes for the ones on a tower.

Now the interesting thing about the mercenary in the middle is that he can only be radar-ed, since dropping on him will result in mission failure and of course there will be a roof on top of him, I just removed it so it would be more clear. The spy will have to place a radar on whatever side of the wall they want, as long as the radar will track the mercenary on the middle.

Once the spy has 3 or more spy bullets on the mercenaries and has them all detected, the spy needs to carefully get to the O-zone to finish the course.

Well that it for now, comment and rate!

Farley4Fan

I think this is about as complex as it should get in the spy tutorial involving a merc:

Spawn spy.  Spawn merc 10 feet away.  Say "This is a merc" (have the merc wave to the spy).  Say "The merc will fucking kill you" (have the merc kill the spy).

That should do the trick.

DreadStunLock

Quote from: Farley4Fan on October 24, 2010, 01:36:32 AM
I think this is about as complex as it should get in the spy tutorial involving a merc:

Spawn spy.  Spawn merc 10 feet away.  Say "This is a merc" (have the merc wave to the spy).  Say "The merc will fucking kill you" (have the merc kill the spy).

That should do the trick.

Uhmm....eehh....not sure what to say actually...

DreadStunLock

Alarm Snares - Tutorial Idea

Yet another tutorial from me.

In this tutorial idea I wanted to show a way to new commers how they can utilize Alarm Snares.
Since in SCCT Versus, Alarm snares are absolutely useless, due to the fact that even without EAX you can hear them being shot out, and for EAX users almost every gadget is useless, In Project Stealth however things might change so anyway.

In this picture we see a maze type of a map. And there will be 2 Mercenary bots patrolling(Look at the purple and blue lines)

The idea will be to use Alarm snares to turn the mercenaries into what ever the way the alarm snare is shot. Also it would be a neat idea for them to shoot the alarm snare, and get back on their patrolling path.

The map should be pitch black and mercenaries should use flashlight at all times. (Makes it more easier for new commers to see if the mercenary is going your way)

As the last tutorial the spy cannot be detected or the tutorial will fail, and you will have to start over.

As you can see I placed pipe looking objects. They are meant to represent the laser grids. I was thinking of a trick to make some lasers invisible to the naked eye, and some should be in a red hue colour.

This will make the careless spies thinking there is only 1 laser they need to worry about, and the invisible laser which they never "Thermal Scanned" will result in a mission failure.

Also, Alarm snares generator high-frequency sound which makes a small malfunction in laser grids, causing them to activate an alarm, this action should also result in everyones most hated screen "You Lose"
basically you failed and you have to start over. This will teach the new commers of how to place alarm snares more efficiently and carefully.

Rules:

Mercenaries cannot be neutralised or killed in anyway.

The spy cannot trip the laser alarm, or place the Alarm snare too close to the laser grid.

Spy cannot be detected by a mercenary.

In order for a spy to win he has to get to the other side of the map and enter throught the doors.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any suggestions? Comments? Always welcome, more comming soon...

unskilled

Quote from: DreadStunLock on October 26, 2010, 03:30:37 PM
Since in SCCT Versus, Alarm snares are absolutely useless, due to the fact that even without EAX you can hear them being shot out, and for EAX users almost every gadget is useless, In Project Stealth however things might change so anyway.

lol, they are useless because players don't know how to use them.

DreadStunLock

Yup, but mostly noone does use them because they are extremely hard to master, and they are useful in some parts of the map.

B1nArY_001

There is a tutorial in the works.

It will not go into basic WSAD movement or attempt to teach strategy and gadget use.

Our goal with the tutorial is to provide a new player with a very basic understanding of the maneuvers the spy can perform along with exposure to the various passive security measures in the game. It will also briefly touch on ways to subdue or kill the mercenary. It will be up to the player to learn the more complex aspects of the game but we will provide them with the tools to get started.

The tutorial is being designed in a manner that allows the veteran players to complete it in around 30 seconds. You will not be able to bypass the tutorial on a re-install but you also won't need to spend 10 minutes completing it before you can play.

B1nArY_001

There are a lot of great ideas in this thread but where do you stop? One could literally write a book on SvM strategies and ways to use the equipment. For those of us who played PT and CT all of this seems simple and easy to absorb. Throwing this much information at a new player would be rather overwhelming.

It's my opinion that keeping PS alive after release will be up to the players. PT and CT had a large number of elitist players that made it very hard for a new player to learn the ropes. You either had a friend to teach you or got kicked from a server for being a "noob". While no one wants to lose and playing with a new player means losing in most cases, you are contributing to a declining number of people in the community when you refuse to play with a new player. I really hope PS doesn't see this trend carried over from PT and CT.

Those who understand SvM game play; take those new players under your wing. The vets can teach advanced game play far better than a tutorial could ever hope to ;)

DreadStunLock

Quote from: B1nArY_001 on October 26, 2010, 11:13:43 PM
There are a lot of great ideas in this thread but where do you stop? One could literally write a book on SvM strategies and ways to use the equipment. For those of us who played PT and CT all of this seems simple and easy to absorb. Throwing this much information at a new player would be rather overwhelming.

It's my opinion that keeping PS alive after release will be up to the players. PT and CT had a large number of elitist players that made it very hard for a new player to learn the ropes. You either had a friend to teach you or got kicked from a server for being a "noob". While no one wants to lose and playing with a new player means losing in most cases, you are contributing to a declining number of people in the community when you refuse to play with a new player. I really hope PS doesn't see this trend carried over from PT and CT.

Those who understand SvM game play; take those new players under your wing. The vets can teach advanced game play far better than a tutorial could ever hope to ;)

That is so true. I remember my first days of getting my ass kicked by Knoob n Webzy that was fun times, and getting harassed by AgentX's old voice was not a pleasant one :D