Dual monitor support?

Started by SteveTheCookie, September 21, 2010, 03:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveTheCookie

I have two monitors hooked up to my computer, and I think it's very convenient when I'm just doing stuff on the internet, or chatting with people, etc. But I've always wanted to be able to use them both in a game. I've heard there are few games where on the extra screen, it shows a map; I think this would be really cool to have in Project Stealth. It could also show the player list, and scores, so it doesn't take up space on the main screen like in Chaos Theory. Some of you may think it would be unfair to all the people who have only one monitor, but the way I see it, it wouldn't actually make you any better at the game(btw you all just lost the game), it would just make it a bit more convenient. What do you guys think?

One other thing...would it be possible to add 3D support? Like for IZ3D, or those NVidia glasses, or whatever?

Cronky

I like this.

As long as it is things like the player list, or just something that doesn't actually help too much: Equipment load, chatbox, player list, map, etc.

It would be SWEET if you could have like Camnet going on on the other screen, but then again. It'd never work and be fair. Though things like that sound awesome in my mind.

Another thing that the PS Devs should look into that involves dual monitors is it actually supporting the fact that some people have dual monitors plugged in.

There are some games that go a little funky where it doesn't know exactly what to do when it sees two monitors. Even crashing some games. It's something rather little, but might as well look at compatibility from every angle, rather than just hoping that people don't do it.

Dual Monitors are standard for more people now a days, or even tri-monitors.

3D might be a little much, though maybe it's because the only thing I could imagine having a 3D effect is Chaff grenades.

If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

tigaer

If this is possible, I vote yes. Simply because I'm the UI guy, and it'd be awesome to see this in game.

Cronky

Quote from: tigger on September 21, 2010, 04:54:22 AM
If this is possible, I vote yes. Simply because I'm the UI guy, and it'd be awesome to see this in game.
Quickly. Start working on it without figuring out the answer!

On a more curious note. You're working on the UI. Now I know that's no easy feat, but do you have a constant amount of work on your plate pertaining to PS?

Like...

I'm sure the animators (edit: Muscles) have a bunch of stush that takes a bunch of time to do. The programmers of course are the whole backbone of this project. Modelers are like the skin. (I'd deem you... the Face! May sound like a smaller part, but without it looking pretty less people are going to like it. Plus it's what people interact with the most)

Don't get me wrong and take this as me saying, "You're job is less important", I'm not. I'm just curious as to your work load in comparison to others on the team.

Oh, and if the idea of dual monitor support was green lighted, what ideas do you think would be good for it?
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------

LennardF1989

Tigaers work is just as important as everyones else.

Farley4Fan

Maybe I'm a noob but 2 monitors sucks while playing video games because if you move your mouse off screen it goes to the other monitor.  I personally don't know the way around that and I haven't really took the spare seconds to look it up but whatever.

BUT if there's a way around that, and there probably is, then that would be cool.  But what would be displayed on the other monitor?  I'm sure Tigger could come up with something involving the health of your teammate or even the PiP view that was talked about in another thread.  The scoreboard, percentage of the terminals, they could be displayed on the extra monitor.

Maybe a 3d map?

Tigger if you have nothing else to do, then making stuff like this for an extra monitor would be dope.

Cronky

Quote from: LennardF1989 on September 21, 2010, 08:30:35 AM
Tigaers work is just as important as everyones else.
I know. That's what I said.

I just wanted to know how much work he has in comparison to everyone elses.

I'm sure it's just as much, but his work is more "Unique" in my eyes cause I can imagine what everyone else is doing. (Programmers coding, animators animating, modelers modeling, frvge... making sure we stay on topic ;)) Like, what is he doing now. We've seen the UI in game, and at least a concept of the lobby (if I remember right). Is he... making pictures for in-game pictures that may be hanging on walls (His sketchbook thread could be used for that alone)? Tweaking the UI even more to get it just right? He says he's the UI guy, what does he do when he's done with the UI but still pertaining to PS?

---On Topic---

Which again begs the question again of what he would think would look cool on the 2nd monitor if given the okay to work on such a project for the game. I'm genuinely interested.

---------------

Again, I meant in no way to say anyone's work was any less important than anothers.

Quote from: Farley4Fan on September 21, 2010, 08:54:24 AM
Maybe I'm a noob but 2 monitors sucks while playing video games because if you move your mouse off screen it goes to the other monitor.  I personally don't know the way around that and I haven't really took the spare seconds to look it up but whatever.

It works better depending on the game you play. Some games do let the mouse wander, others will lock it to one screen. That's why I brought up compatibility for two monitors. Regardless of whether they put something in the 2nd monitor, they should expect people will have 2 and make it less likely to throw yourself out of the game.
-----------------------

frvge

What if you have 3? And tigaer's official position is 2D art, which also includes UI.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Cronky

Quote from: frvge on September 21, 2010, 09:19:18 AM
What if you have 3? And tigaer's official position is 2D art, which also includes UI.

Exactly! What IF you have 3?!

Two is getting pretty standard if you go into a digital field of some sort (everything from web design to animation is helped by more screen real estate.). Three is the yesteryears two though so I wouldn't expect full functionality for 3 yet. (though it would be cool. At that point you could just make the whole thing the Merc's perspective. THEN add in the 3D like was mentioned above. Graphicgasm)

Farley brought up a good idea though. 3D map on the other screen. It could show say... where a spy is if spy trapped (same for spy bullet'd Merc), where an alarm went off, or what objective is getting hacked. Since those show up anyway via visual cues or the radar, this would just give an alternative look at it.

Pretty much that map in River Mall... without the cheap always knowing where the Spy was for no reason... thing.

And how you explained his job...

Just raised even more questions. ;D
-----------------------

IncomprabLe

Maybe you use on the 2nd monitor the spy pip (if you will do it). So you can see what your mate does.

SteveTheCookie

Quote from: IncomprabLe on September 21, 2010, 04:44:55 PM
Maybe you use on the 2nd monitor the spy pip (if you will do it). So you can see what your mate does.
Yeah, if they do that, then a second monitor would be the perfect place for it! After all, it would take up kind of a lot of space on your screen. Maybe with all these ideas, people should be able to customize what they want on each monitor.

zglina

Quote from: IncomprabLe on September 21, 2010, 04:44:55 PM

Good idea.But alternative for this idea is small window in monitor corner which u can switch off or on

tigaer

My job at the beginning was to design the HUD and GUI for the game, which is already basically done, aside from a few pages and gadget icons, but I work on all of those when I can. I have side assignments too, like web design and the like. I also do super secret stuff that I probably can't talk about or else a fridge will fall on me. It would probably hurt pretty bad.

Currently, I'm working on animating the UI, and just overall finishing the work that I need to put into it, while doing that super secret stuff I mentioned just a second ago.

Oh yeah, and no, you haven't seen the GUI. It's completely new and hasn't been shown to the public yet. If it had been, you'd have shit yourself already. ;)

GUI = Menus, not HUD.

Cronky

Quote from: tigger on September 24, 2010, 06:18:06 AM
My job at the beginning was to design the HUD and GUI for the game, which is already basically done, aside from a few pages and gadget icons, but I work on all of those when I can. I have side assignments too, like web design and the like. I also do super secret stuff that I probably can't talk about or else a fridge will fall on me. It would probably hurt pretty bad.

Currently, I'm working on animating the UI, and just overall finishing the work that I need to put into it, while doing that super secret stuff I mentioned just a second ago.

Oh yeah, and no, you haven't seen the GUI. It's completely new and hasn't been shown to the public yet. If it had been, you'd have shit yourself already. ;)

GUI = Menus, not HUD.

A (just as vague, but this time in the good way) answer from the man himself! Just the mention of said "Secret Stuff" made me feel uneasy in the pit of my stomach.

I don't know if anyone will be ready for what you got hiding behind the scenes. ;D
-----------------------