The "use" feature.

Started by puuusianka, May 26, 2011, 08:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puuusianka

Ok, I've been thinking lately about creating maps, scct and PS. Suddenly an idea appeared in my head...

Remember the "use" feature from scct? It was for clicking buttons, hacking panels and so on. It was triggered in a small menu window. It was triggering different anims basing on what kind of device we are encountering. My idea - why not allow mappers to create within the PS editor custom anims for the "use" feature. I mean it would make a variety for the gameplay. I imagined many things done this way like having an animation of holding the doors or let's say there is a hidden way behind the painting and you take it down or place it back so that your friend is covered. Or! Remember those big doors on deftech that are allowing you access to sector B(?) from the outside. Let's say you switch off electricity and then you just come up to doors and you just push them up manually. It could be a maintain anim allowing your friend to come in so that he has to push it from the inside to let you in.

So what you guys think? Would it make a living or you don't want it at all!

DreadStunLock

Didn't you had this conversation about creating custom animations before?

puuusianka

It was different, I didn't specify and I was asking for open source.

NeoSuperior

But of course all of that AFTER "PS 1.0" because the game itself has to come first  ;)
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

puuusianka

Yes yes yes.... But jus say aloud if you like the feature.

AgentX_003

Quote from: puuusianka on May 26, 2011, 08:25:21 PM
Ok, I've been thinking lately about creating maps, scct and PS. Suddenly an idea appeared in my head...

Remember the "use" feature from scct? It was for clicking buttons, hacking panels and so on. It was triggered in a small menu window. It was triggering different anims basing on what kind of device we are encountering. My idea - why not allow mappers to create within the PS editor custom anims for the "use" feature. I mean it would make a variety for the gameplay. I imagined many things done this way like having an animation of holding the doors or let's say there is a hidden way behind the painting and you take it down or place it back so that your friend is covered. Or! Remember those big doors on deftech that are allowing you access to sector B(?) from the outside. Let's say you switch off electricity and then you just come up to doors and you just push them up manually. It could be a maintain anim allowing your friend to come in so that he has to push it from the inside to let you in.

So what you guys think? Would it make a living or you don't want it at all!

MMm Realism for the win :D XD , I agree with pussy galore here on this.

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

frvge

No. You'd have to re-distribute the packages, including some core packages -> inconsistency. And I'm not going to make version checks for each separate file.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

puuusianka

Ehm can you clarify the problem? It's again robbing you or just your not willing to do sth because it's gonna take time?

frvge

You don't want to version check 10000 files before you can launch the game each time.
Besides, it would require coding support for each animation, unless we set-up a very limited modular approach.

Besides, I haven't seen much animation talent here, so I'm not going to waste the few programmer hours we have per week on making a modular system that 1: probably isn't going to work and 2: isn't going to be used.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

puuusianka

Ok so if I take robot animated mesh that is included in all UDK versions and make him sneak animation instead of walkin and set him in crowd system, PS won't handle it?

frvge

You're not making any sense.

We use custom rigs, custom models and custom animations. You can't use UDK's standard stuff with it, or you'd get very weird results.

Of course, you can animate your own skeletal meshes... but that's in the skeletal mesh itself, and not in the PS Spy or Merc.

LennardF1989

Quote from: puuusianka on May 27, 2011, 12:25:54 AM
Ok so if I take robot animated mesh that is included in all UDK versions and make him sneak animation instead of walkin and set him in crowd system, PS won't handle it?
I don't really understand you, but:
1. While we use UDK as graphics engine, we do not include ANYTHING other than that. We also removed all classes related to UDK simply because we are not going to use them or are way too FPS orientated.

2. That an animation works on a UDK mesh, doesn't mean it will work on ours. Skeletons are way different, not too mention about 5 times smaller in UDK compared to PS.

DreadStunLock

Quote from: puuusianka on May 27, 2011, 12:25:54 AM

Pusiek, don't be foolish, you won't create an animation with the quality of Project Stealth, I thought I would make a CO-OP animation before PS does, but without knowledge of how the reactors and kinetics work, it ain't happening. (Wild dream I know)

It also won't work if the quality doesn't match the game.

Same way you can't place a photograph texture on your drawing and just leave it, you have to match the density and the balance of how good the texture is and how good your drawing is too.

B1nArY_001

While the idea might be fun, what you are asking for is basically an animation studio built into PS configured simply enough for the average user to take advantage of it and then on top of that every single time you joined a game any custom animations would have to be downloaded and any other relevant files that this affects. You are also talking about objects in the game, doors etc needing to have a way for the custom animations to sync up and interact with them so it won't look funny. While all this is possible you are talking about a massive amount of time to make it happen. There would be far to many small variables to account for to make it even remotely practical for consideration.