Couldn't help but notice...

Started by DreadStunLock, August 05, 2011, 10:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DreadStunLock

Quote from: Morten "MulleDK19" Pedersen on August 07, 2011, 10:35:07 PM
Quote from: DreadStunlock on August 07, 2011, 01:32:52 AM
Quote from: frvge on August 07, 2011, 01:10:54 AM
Spies won't get that kind of outline. It's merely for navigation of the map.

But that's exactly it, there shouldn't be such a luxury, if you use a visor, there has to be limitations of seeing things, not enhancing it ¬¬

Luxery? If a spy isn't moving, it's invisible. So the merc will see absolutely nothing of the spy, but see a billion objects outlined.

Exactly, he gets the luxury of being completely in control and not being in disadvantage at all, unless you guys introduce an energy meter on the mercenaries visors, there will be extensive MT whoring.

frvge

? The point of DT is to see moving Spies more clearly. Doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to navigate. Besides, you won't be able to see in dark corners... It's basically normal vision with some added bonus if a Spy is moving and a red hexagon overlay. It serves its purpose perfectly.

If you're talking about downsides:
- Not seeing non-moving Spies
- Slightly moving/distorted overlay
- Not able to use Flash light (probably)
- Depth fall-off so you can't see very far (probably), unless it's a Spy running.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

DreadStunLock

I just know that, without the white outlines, it's not as pleasant to move around the areas because:

It's a bit blurry.

Too much red and no contast.

The white outline gives a lot of contrast and gives you a great control in the environment.

SteveTheCookie

Tbh I don't see what the problem is. Who cares if you can see the environment? No one is going to DT-whore if you can't see spies that aren't moving.

DreadStunLock

Tbh I never really took MT whoring as seeing the spies black sillhoutte in CT when he is NOT moving, more rather when people just had it always on and never switch it off.

SteveTheCookie

Quote from: DreadStunlock on August 08, 2011, 01:51:29 AM
Tbh I never really took MT whoring as seeing the spies black sillhoutte in CT when he is NOT moving, more rather when people just had it always on and never switch it off.
But being able to see the spy's black silhouette is the whole reason people MT-whored in the first place. It's almost like night vision.

Spark Mandriller

Quote from: DreadStunlock on August 07, 2011, 10:59:17 PM
Exactly, he gets the luxury of being completely in control and not being in disadvantage at all, unless you guys introduce an energy meter on the mercenaries visors, there will be extensive MT whoring.

No disadvantage at all, aside from not being able to see spies.

I think not being able to see the enemy team is actually a pretty big disadvantage Dread.

However on further reflection I've decided that I also think we should remove the outlines because they look bad. Get out of here, ugly lines, making my MT look bad.

DreadStunLock

Or maybe because they are ugly. As well as, how the hell you guys coded those in? Because something tells me that only official PS maps will have those outlines. I don't think anyone will be bothered adding somekind of an option to every static mesh ><

frvge

It's just an extra shader that's part of the DT vision effect. Works on everything. A bit like a 'cartoon' shader that adds big black lines around objects.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

DreadStunLock

Ohhh, so that means no handy work on that right? What about the "What's going to be darker red, and what's lighter?" Is that going to be changeable easily?

Cronky

Quote from: Morten "MulleDK19" Pedersen on August 07, 2011, 10:35:07 PM
Quote from: DreadStunlock on August 07, 2011, 01:32:52 AM
Quote from: frvge on August 07, 2011, 01:10:54 AM
Spies won't get that kind of outline. It's merely for navigation of the map.

But that's exactly it, there shouldn't be such a luxury, if you use a visor, there has to be limitations of seeing things, not enhancing it ¬¬

Luxery? If a spy isn't moving, it's invisible. So the merc will see absolutely nothing of the spy, but see a billion objects outlined.

OOOOOOOOH. I get it now. Outlines make MUUCH more sense if spies don't even show up in the vision if they aren't moving.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

frvge

Quote from: DreadStunlock on August 08, 2011, 02:36:13 PM
Ohhh, so that means no handy work on that right? What about the "What's going to be darker red, and what's lighter?" Is that going to be changeable easily?
Based on distance and lighting. C'mon, that's pretty clear from the image.

DreadStunLock

Quote from: frvge on August 08, 2011, 06:45:59 PM
Quote from: DreadStunlock on August 08, 2011, 02:36:13 PM
Based on distance and lighting. C'mon, that's pretty clear from the image.

Not that naabcake, I mean, will I be able to make everything dark in MT even if I got lightning everywhere? Like in the CT editor?

frvge

You can set special vision textures if needed (like for EMT and Thermal vision), but I'm not sure if that's also meant for DT.

NeoSuperior

ok... i am lost a bit here... so will the environmental outlines fade, if the seen objects are far away?
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin