Main Menu

UI Artist

Started by Jordan, November 14, 2006, 06:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordan

Hello Project Stealth Staff,

I'm posting to apply for the 'UI Artist' position. I can work with a team to get the job of designing done and making those designs come to life. I have experience in Photoshop, Macromedia Flash, and a very little bit of Autodesk 3D Studio Max 8. I have included a design that is a small percentage of the way done, using the Project Stealth colors. I hope to add a logo for PS and the image of the city in the background.

Thank you for your time,
   Jordan

Image Here

MacBryce

Looking forward to see that...  :D

Here's the standard message that I post below every sollicitation.
Thanks for the offer. Check the site to stay up to date. When enough people have signed up, we're going to assemble the actual team. In the meantime you can chat in the public discussion about the game. Don't forget to spread the word. We still need more developers.

MacBryce

Quote from: Jordan on November 15, 2006, 12:28:02 AMI have a compiler and a little C++ knowledge, but none with OpenGL/Direct3D. If you could feed me the things needed (coordinates, etc) I could compile it all.

Jordan

I did a little comparison between the Irrlicht Engine, and just plain Photoshop design. I thought I might post how Irrlicht engine displays it's images. Just in case you ever thought about using Irrlicht.

Irrlicht Engine
Photoshop Design

EDIT: meant to quote, but i modified your post, sorry, MR.Mic

MR.Mic

Quote from: Jordan on November 19, 2006, 03:04:03 AM
I did a little comparison between the Irrlicht Engine, and just plain Photoshop design. I thought I might post how Irrlicht engine displays it's images. Just in case you ever thought about using Irrlicht.

Irrlicht Engine
Photoshop Design

EDIT: meant to quote, but i modified your post, sorry, MR.Mic

Adjust your render target resolution. I know for a fact that a properly set-up irrlicht window will not alias its images like that.
[size=2]Lead Visual Effects Artist - Advanced Materials, Particles, and Post-Process Effects
Website: http://studentpages.scad.edu/~ctripp20/index.htm][/size]

Overstatement

Irrlicht Engine
Photoshop Design
The loss of image quality is caused by a process in the rendering pipeline called texture filtering and has nothing to do with the engine.

It happens if your backbuffer(which is the same size as your window's client area) is not the same size as your source image. Or it could happen if the position or texture coordnates of the vertices in the quad are wrong. In either case, you probaly screwed up. Try doing a fullscreen test to make sure the backbuffer is exactly what you want or look for the proper way to do to render the entire screen in your engine.

There is also an unexplainable more red glowing around the lettering. I sense you are not using the same image in both.

Why arent you apply as a programmer? If you could understand just a little bit of Irrlicht, you are probably than 80% of the programmers likely to apply.

Edit: My post is better than yours Mr.Mic :P

MR.Mic

Quote from: Overstatement on November 19, 2006, 02:45:49 PM

Irrlicht Engine
Photoshop Design
The loss of image quality is caused by a process in the rendering pipeline called texture filtering and has nothing to do with the engine.

It happens if your backbuffer(which is the same size as your window's client area) is not the same size as your source image. Or it could happen if the position or texture coordnates of the vertices in the quad are wrong. In either case, you probaly screwed up. Try doing a fullscreen test to make sure the backbuffer is exactly what you want or look for the proper way to do to render the entire screen in your engine.

There is also an unexplainable more red glowing around the lettering. I sense you are not using the same image in both.

Why arent you apply as a programmer? If you could understand just a little bit of Irrlicht, you are probably than 80% of the programmers likely to apply.

Edit: My post is better than yours Mr.Mic :P
Yeah, I'm just a noob when it comes to programming and 3d rendering.
[size=2]Lead Visual Effects Artist - Advanced Materials, Particles, and Post-Process Effects
Website: http://studentpages.scad.edu/~ctripp20/index.htm][/size]

Jordan

I'm using 2 different images. One for the background and one for the title. The window size was the same as the image. I tried it on fullscreen, it did the same thing except it stayed in the top corner with its original size.

I am placing the images using the GUI code.
Ex. "IGUIImage* back = env->addImage"

It might be how the GUI creator renders images, I'm not too sure.

Overstatement

A GUI class wont do because when rendering something fullscreen and expecting a 1:1 texel to pixel drawing, you need to do something special. Try finding a class that specifically draws fullscreen(like an overlay class).

Edit: After much searching, I could not find an easy way to do this. You can do it manually with the IVideoDriver interface but I have a feeling you wont want to

More Edit: After more searching, IVideoDriver::draw2DImage() does offset its texture coordnates (if I'm reading the source code right). I am now at a dead end, you should ask an Irrlicht engine forum.

ElShotte

As a UI Artist, it's not one of your tasks to code the actuall UI into the game, you just have to design the graphics and prepare them according to the coder who's in charge of coding the actual UI.

Jordan

Yes, but you can't deny me my right to give some things a try. There is a post saying that I do a little programming, if you would like to see it.

I say good day.

Jordan

I think it might be better if one of the Graphics Artists could draw a city out, and then we could place it in the background scrolling. It would make it look like we are flying over in a helicopter; we also wouldn't have to mess with the image either.

ElShotte

Quote from: Jordan on November 21, 2006, 01:21:42 AM
Yes, but you can't deny me my right to give some things a try. There is a post saying that I do a little programming, if you would like to see it.

I say good day.

You've misunderstood me, I was just pointing out that if indeed you do make it as a UI Artist, that won't be one of your problems/tasks, and I have no problems with anyone wanting to learn dude, knock yourself out.

Jordan

Oh sorry about that. I knew that wouldn't be the job of the UI Artist, I was just bringing up how Irrlicht displayed it's images.