How much would you pay for PS?

Started by Cronky, April 16, 2012, 10:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much would you pay for Project Stealth? (In US Dollars)

$0 (Initially advertised as free and that's what I want)
5 (15.2%)
$1-20 (I wouldn't mind making a donation)
12 (36.4%)
$21-40 (Not too much, but not too little)
7 (21.2%)
$41-60 (I feel it's worth full AAA game price)
5 (15.2%)
Other (explain in a reply)
4 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

clown358

What if the game needs a permanent connection to your server (like splinter cell conviction)? and if someone develops an application for iphone/android to get access to leaderboards and customizing the spies/mercs classes (like call of duty elite)? I think this would cause high traffic....

NeoSuperior

Quote from: clown358 on April 20, 2012, 03:57:59 PM
What if the game needs a permanent connection to your server (like splinter cell conviction)? and if someone develops an application for iphone/android to get access to leaderboards and customizing the spies/mercs classes (like call of duty elite)? I think this would cause high traffic....

No, it would just rise the laags, because it must be a dual connection (to host and to main site), but jokes aside, I would really have a good laugh, if PS copy-pasted from ubisofts ways...

Or how about making it only playable, if you have EA-Origin, Steam AND Ubisoft game launcher installed? I am VEEEERY sure it would rise the traffic too. /sarcasm

EDIT: Oh i forgot Securom 2.0
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

frvge

I hate DRM. However, we might go with Steam, but then mostly for the big market. We'll see.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

VaNilla

Steam is DRM done right. I can't think of any other DRM service customers actively want to install with everything they own.

NeoSuperior

frvge's signature says it all.

Piracy didn't rise because "the DRM was not good enough", but instead because it was "too good".
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

Cronky

Quote from: Spekkio on April 20, 2012, 04:57:08 AM
Cronky, I wasn't trying to say that you could make as much as Google. But your revised option still splits the community because the "free" version players only have a handful of original maps and can't download community content. Again, this makes the game less enjoyable for EVERYONE, not just the free players, because the list of people with whom I can play the latest hot map is limited.

It bewilders me that multi-million dollar companies like EA Sports can't understand that charging $60 for a game and then $20 for an expansion a few months later doesn't yield very high profits. Consumers will quickly lose interest in having to pay for expansions so shortly in order to enjoy the latest, and with each expansion the player base becomes more and more split. Additionally, when they add things like new guns/equipment, the player base who doesn't want the expansion gets frustrated with being at a competitive disadvantage and stops playing.

That economic model is not where you guys ought to go. You need to focus on ways to generate revenue that promote openness and a larger community. Sadly, a little add on the screen here or there may be the only way to accomplish both of those goals.

It limits people, yes, but because that is how that economic model works. It's giving a trial or a demo of the game. You need a way, with this model, that gives the customer a reason to pay (as with all models though). You can hold off a lot worse things if you were particularly evil, but the revised options I said seem like the best way in my head IF they wanted to use that method.

Ad supported games share a similar problem though. Though it's not limiting people with access to features, it does usually limit access to the convenience of the given features. If we are still talking about mobile games with this model then you are paying to play the game faster and smoother. As mobile games are usually played in short bursts, this means that you can get more gaming in in less time. Sometimes this is coupled on with added bonuses like extra items that would cost you some kind of in-game currency that would take you a long time to get normally. While the Ads help for a part of profit, it's usually coupled with a secondary way for players to give more money.

Usually with non-mobile games you get a similar situation. TF2 has you buy items if you want them now, as an example. After the first purchase you get the full suite of the game without restrictions. It requires that first purchase though to get it all.

The question is does this ad supported model work effectively with PS's gameplay and features? If the PS devs are looking for some kind of profit off the past 6 or so years of work, would this be their best option to choose?
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

NeoSuperior

The only game that comes to my mind about a "witholding-stuff-demo" and acutally does it right, is UT2004.

- Mike Godwin

Cronky

How did that one work? For some reason I'm not remembering an 8 year old game (Not surprising though. I don't remember games released last week). :P
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------

NeoSuperior

It had most game modes of which each consisted of 1-2 playable maps. Multiplayer was functional with these maps too. campaign of course was not included. I still have it on my comp for Lan purposes (And i have the full game at home too)

But that brings me to another problem with DRM. You can, for example, not play StarCraft 2 over Lan and the same applies to other "DRM hubs" like Battle.Net_2.0, ubisoft game launcher etc. Not sure about steam though. DAMN! What about the good old LAN parties? Damn gamer industry has no love for "gamers".

- Mike Godwin

VaNilla

Oh wow, UT2004 was the first demo I ever downloaded, and the second game I ever played on PC after Vice City :o. Nostalgia.

Cronky

Quote from: Meister_Neo on April 23, 2012, 11:49:53 PM
It had most game modes of which each consisted of 1-2 playable maps. Multiplayer was functional with these maps too. campaign of course was not included. I still have it on my comp for Lan purposes (And i have the full game at home too)

But that brings me to another problem with DRM. You can, for example, not play StarCraft 2 over Lan and the same applies to other "DRM hubs" like Battle.Net_2.0, ubisoft game launcher etc. Not sure about steam though. DAMN! What about the good old LAN parties? Damn gamer industry has no love for "gamers".

That's pretty much what this "limited" free version of the game would be that I've been talking about. All modes would be unlocked, but you would be limited on the amount of maps you could play. Upon paying a reasonable amount (5-20 dollars or so) you would gain access to all those maps previously locked. One option amongst a sea of other options, but I personally think it's the best one.

It seems like Steam DRM would be the best bet. While it's offline mode is hokey at best, it still has that ability built in. Games like Borderlands can be played over LAN without signing in online into steam.

Plus I think Gearbox, while not having the reputation after Duke Nukem Forever, is still thinking about the PC. ...at least as far as this thing about Borderlands 2 says... It seems dumb that them actually adding those things in though is a big deal now a days (at least they seem to understand that it's ridiculous).
-----------------------

RaDRoacH

I would pay it like a normal PC Game...
Anyway if it will be f2p by now... i hope that you guys will not make "Pay 4 Win Shops" :|
Sorry if my english is not perfect.

Cronky

Thankfully I don't see PS having a tiered weapon system or similar features that usually is the sole purpose of those kinds of shops.

That is... unless the PS devs have something under wraps that they just haven't told us. ;)
-----------------------

frvge

Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

NeoSuperior

hahaha, if frvge really did that, he would be troll of the century.

- Mike Godwin