Environmental Artist - Level Designer

Started by iservealot, November 17, 2006, 04:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iservealot

I would be interested in helping out with this mod team. I have good experience with Unreal Engine. I am the creator of the never released map - Gaming Corp. You can find some early screens of the map here- http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3651075192/m/8351001884?r=5201005884#5201005884

I cannot emphasize enough how much better this level actually looks in action.

I would like to be part of the team as I think I can take concept art, or a vision, and make it a reality. I love real-time effects, and that can clearly be seen in Gaming Corp.

(I can use 3DS max and Photo Shop. I would not consider myself in any way an experienced user in 3DS max or PS, but I am learning. I can use the programs, but not to create complex models, or textures)

MacBryce

You've been recommended a few times by the people in the public discussions.

Here's the standard message that I post below every sollicitation.
Thanks for the offer. Check the site to stay up to date. When enough people have signed up, we're going to assemble the actual team. In the meantime you can chat in the public discussion about the game. Don't forget to spread the word. We still need more developers.

goodkebab

we dont have someone for Real Time FX yet....and if we use the Unreal Engine Demo version we might be able to make use of that.

A lot of people recommended you so that is good.

iservealot

Regardless of what engine you guys will be using, I catch on real quick. I am glad that people have recommended me. I hope that I make the cut!

Zedblade

Sigh.

Iservalot, just becuase you can drag and drop items in the Unreal Editor while reading off the UDN tutorial site, it doesn't make you a FX Programmer. Do you even know what a programmer is? Its coding buddy. I'm not saying we don't want you, I'm saying you have applied tot he wrong position and you need to change it to just Environmental Artist/Level Designer.

iservealot

Quote from: Zedblade on November 18, 2006, 06:16:50 AM
Sigh.

Iservalot, just becuase you can drag and drop items in the Unreal Editor while reading off the UDN tutorial site, it doesn't make you a FX Programmer.

I would hardly call my work in the CT editor "Drag and Dropped" content. And I learned from Unreal Wiki, not UDN. ;) Just like you did, when you started with Unreal.

But I will change the tittle. I overlooked the name.

Zedblade

Quote from: iservealot on November 18, 2006, 08:09:17 AM
Quote from: Zedblade on November 18, 2006, 06:16:50 AM
Sigh.

Iservalot, just becuase you can drag and drop items in the Unreal Editor while reading off the UDN tutorial site, it doesn't make you a FX Programmer.

I would hardly call my work in the CT editor "Drag and Dropped" content. And I learned from Unreal Wiki, not UDN. ;) Just like you did, when you started with Unreal.

But I will change the tittle. I overlooked the name.

Its the same freaking thing buddy. And I used UDN. NOOB!

ElShotte

Zed you are being unfair IMHO. Everyone had to learn at some point, and just because you do this stuff as a profession doesn't you are "Zed the Allmighty" dude, you had to learn at some point too, it's not like you were born with the UED reference hardcoded into your brain. Oh, and besides that, just because you do this as a profession doesn't mean there's not going to be a hobbyist better than you. On a side note, you can't expect "professionals" to work on a non-commercial project without any budget.

Peace.

MR.Mic

The truth of the matter is still: "FX programmer" being a misnomer.

Your knowledge extends only through piecing elements together in the Unreal Engine via the built-in level editor.
[size=2]Lead Visual Effects Artist - Advanced Materials, Particles, and Post-Process Effects
Website: http://studentpages.scad.edu/~ctripp20/index.htm][/size]

ElShotte

Yeah good point, also, like Zed said, you need to be able to code your own FX from scratch. Not Clouds + Water + Rain typa stuff.

iservealot

Which is why I changed the tittle name of this thread. I don't know why zedblade is getting all defensive on this, as that's what you do at your work. No? Aren't you an Environmental Artist at your work?

Zedblade

Quote from: ElShotte on November 18, 2006, 07:13:13 PM
Zed you are being unfair IMHO. Everyone had to learn at some point, and just because you do this stuff as a profession doesn't you are "Zed the Allmighty" dude, you had to learn at some point too, it's not like you were born with the UED reference hardcoded into your brain. Oh, and besides that, just because you do this as a profession doesn't mean there's not going to be a hobbyist better than you. On a side note, you can't expect "professionals" to work on a non-commercial project without any budget.

Peace.

I don't understand your point or where your comming from. How am I being unfair? He applied for the wrong thing, he knows nothing about programming. He knows how to piece together elements in the UnrealED, which won't help a bit if we move to another engine. I want him on the team, in fact he was one of the first I suggested. However, i want him for a modeler and level designer. FX Programming is something that requires a lot of code and I have no doubt that given the time, he might one day learn it. HOWEVER, we really would like people that already know how to do these things. We are in abundent supply of people that say they would love to help and will learn just for this game. That requires time we really don't have. The longer this thing sits still, the bigger the change it will fall through the cracks and people just won't care.

Me and Iservalot have a weird relationship. Anything I say to him that might sound mean and insulting is just our way of messing with each other.

And on a side note, I do expect professional game developers to work on this for free. Why? Becuase we already have two doing so. Me and Goodkebab. Goodkebab is a real developer, he has been in the buisness before I even played the super nintendo.

Zedblade

Quote from: iservealot on November 18, 2006, 08:28:22 PM
Which is why I changed the tittle name of this thread. I don't know why zedblade is getting all defensive on this, as that's what you do at your work. No? Aren't you an Environmental Artist at your work?

how am I being 'defensive'

that whole its the same freaking thing buddy and I learned via UDN NOOB post was obviously me kidding and just joking.

ElShotte

Quote from: Zedblade on November 19, 2006, 03:39:38 AM
I don't understand your point or where your comming from. How am I being unfair? He applied for the wrong thing, he knows nothing about programming. He knows how to piece together elements in the UnrealED, which won't help a bit if we move to another engine. I want him on the team, in fact he was one of the first I suggested. However, i want him for a modeler and level designer. FX Programming is something that requires a lot of code and I have no doubt that given the time, he might one day learn it. HOWEVER, we really would like people that already know how to do these things. We are in abundent supply of people that say they would love to help and will learn just for this game. That requires time we really don't have. The longer this thing sits still, the bigger the change it will fall through the cracks and people just won't care.

Me and Iservalot have a weird relationship. Anything I say to him that might sound mean and insulting is just our way of messing with each other.

And on a side note, I do expect professional game developers to work on this for free. Why? Becuase we already have two doing so. Me and Goodkebab. Goodkebab is a real developer, he has been in the buisness before I even played the super nintendo.

So then you're going to tell me that I do not have as much skill as someone who does this as a profession?  Someone must do this for a living to have skill on par to you or Goodkebab? Please say otherwise because now I am having mixed feelings.

Zedblade

Quote from: ElShotte on November 19, 2006, 04:38:02 AM
Quote from: Zedblade on November 19, 2006, 03:39:38 AM

So then you're going to tell me that I do not have as much skill as someone who does this as a profession?  Someone must do this for a living to have skill on par to you or Goodkebab? Please say otherwise because now I am having mixed feelings.

Whoa whoa whoa. Where are you getting this from. I've said nothing about anyone skills being better or worse. I've only commented on him applying for the wrong thing. Nothing about how good you or him or anyone is.

IN FACT, i've seen your characters and I am proud to say with complete confidence that your stuff is leaps and bounds better then any of the characters I've ever done.