Main Menu

Grappling Hook

Started by Kubanator, March 09, 2008, 11:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kubanator

Here is my idea for a new gadget.

It would take up one slot and allow you to:
-Pull yourself up co-op spots without 2 people.
-Hang down from overhead pipes.
-Hang down from ledges.
-Pull your partner up onto a high ledge. (Though depending on the hieght, it may take a very long time)

Constructive critcism or positive feedback?

LennardF1989

I like it, only, what do you mean by ledges? You mean the ones on the wall? Or ledges as over a railling or something.

Though, I think it would shatter the teamwork of spies a little, since you can do everything on your own. Which on the other hand is good, if it is 1vs1 or other.

I <3 U

lol u stoles my idea!!! lol i made a topic on this like 5 seconds ago, anyway maybe we could merge the two.

I like the Idea, but i dont think it you should be able to use it to co-op yourself. I think it should be able to attach to anything apart from walls, and you can use it to hang down from pipes and ledges (by ledges i mean the types of ledges in garden on clubhouse, and the sector one ledges in warehouse) I also think mercs should be able to shoot the rope (for example when hanging from a ledge the hook would be attached to the rail above it (think warehouse ledges) and the merc would be able to shoot the rope, or the grapple and the spy would fall). Oh this shouldnt be a gadget, but a standard device, which all spies have. It could also be used as a stealth weapon, for example if your in exe, and a merc coming and your like "shizwtfomghesgnaseeme" just shoot a rapel in the ceiling and climb it and hope he doesnt see it. Just an example  ;)

MacBryce

Fun idea.

It would be pretty darn powerful IMHO. For example Aqua; at some point your partner is dead and the mercs will stop defending the areas which you can't reach without coop. The grappling hook would change that and give you a much better shot going 1 vs 2.

A thing like this begs for being able to switch gadgets at equipment boxes. The aqua example again; you would be able to get into tech where you would leave the hook at the equipment box to take some aggro gadgets.

Sounds awesome IMHO, but I would make the hook take up two slots and only implement it if the game allows players to swap gadgets at the equipment boxes.

neth

Kubanator nice at stealing someone's idea and presenting it as your own...

We werent talking about coop option before. You should be able to get to places where you wouldnt get without partner. I see this hook as a gadget to move slowly and quietly but without losing health.
Every spy should have one, cause it gives you a choice. You can play fast but risk your health or move slowly but remain undetected. You should also be able to use camo while moving.

LennardF1989

I like the idea of this being a default inventory item (functions to be discussed about).

Though, the idea of being able to switch gadgets ingame is fun aswell (not DA-like!!!). This one life you could go stealth, the second life you could go aggro.

Westfall

It is a pretty neat idea. Spies shouldn't be able to access coop though. Would the mercs have a grappling hook too?

MacBryce

I think that I could be a good thing to be able to reach coop when you're partner is already dead, as long as there's a trade-off involved. It could easily be overpowered if it doesn't cost the spies anything to reach those coop areas.

Agent talked to me about mercs having one as well, but the merc version would be more like the rappel rope from DA. I liked that feature.

frvge

If climbing up a Coop spot on your own takes 30-40 secs, sure.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

FlaTLin3R

You spoke about 2 slots for the grappling hook. What about one slot for a rope and another slot for a gadget, which needs a rope. The second gadget could be a normal hook, or a magnet, for metallic surfaces. It could also be a kind of nail for shooting it into a wall. Then you could build a trip wire a merc would fall over.

Spekkio

I don't think any item or ability that changes your access to the map should be selectable. What I think could work is building grappling spots into the map, so that you can't just hop up into coop spots or whatever.

Kubanator

Quote from: Spekkio on March 09, 2008, 06:50:15 PM
I don't think any item or ability that changes your access to the map should be selectable. What I think could work is building grappling spots into the map, so that you can't just hop up into coop spots or whatever.

It doesn't change your access. It lets you get off of a pipe or ledge without damage, and get to co-op areas without using 2 people.

Farley4Fan

Nice new idea.  I thought it was a merc grappling hook for a second, which may be a nice gadget to offer mercs.  (although it would make it harder to balance maps)...

As for this idea, sure.  Seems like it would add to the gameplay and make it easier for 1 spy against 2 mercs.  It would lead to some interesting situations.

BurningDeath

yup .. I think that's a pretty nice idea and should be thought over by the devs!

I <3 U

Quote from: neth on March 09, 2008, 01:30:58 PM
Kubanator nice at stealing someone's idea and presenting it as your own...

We werent talking about coop option before. You should be able to get to places where you wouldnt get without partner. I see this hook as a gadget to move slowly and quietly but without losing health.
Every spy should have one, cause it gives you a choice. You can play fast but risk your health or move slowly but remain undetected. You should also be able to use camo while moving.

Haha, im glad someone noticed  ;).

anyhow like i said in my prev post i think itd be balanced IF:

- It should be able to attach to anything apart from walls
- It can be used to hang from pipes/ceiling/ledges or just or simply to climb
- It should be a COMPULSORY ITEM
- Spies should be able to use camo while using grapple
- A spy could shoot a graple and come back to it later provided he hasnt died.
- It could be used in coop points which can be accessed by a single spy (e.g clubhouse g1 u can coop to g2, but you can also get there without cooping, same with mono coop points, but NOT coop points which cannot be accessed by a single spy (eg aqua tech room)

Here's some i just thought of:
- Spies should be able to turn on the rope, like they can on ladders
- Spies shouldn't be able to jump off of it (they would need to reach top/bottom and unclip the rappel, this would make the weapon more balanced as it can be attached to practically anything, and would stop merc's getting jumped out of nowhere).
- Only when the rappel is being fired should it make a sound (Not sure about this point, maybe it should be silent)