How to win an Oscar

Started by Spekkio, March 09, 2010, 02:30:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spekkio

Make up a fake war movie and advertise it as authentic...movie critics will never know the difference, and the few percentage of people who will don't count anyway.

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/01/essay-15/

PS: I know every movie takes creative license even when based on true events. Black Hawk Down is one such movie, which was also screened by the people who were there and has a certain level of authenticity to it...at least by Hollywood standards. However, the Hurt Locker was lauded for being realistic, but has very few realistic elements in it. And I'm not talking about minor stuff like painting a humvee the wrong way.

Westfall

It's crazy that some guy is trying to sue the makers of that movie because he claims he is being portrayed in the film. The screen-writer says it is a complete work of fiction. Hilarious.

Farley4Fan

The guys in Iraq have had countless things happen to them.  Maybe this guy just happened to have a similar thing happen to him.  lol

I enjoyed the Hurt Locker but didn't think it was better than D-9  :(

By the way Avatar was horrible unless your eyes can have orgasms if they see enough amazing CG.  Imagine what it would have been like if the special effects were shitty.  It would have been shitty.  Shouldn't have even been nominated but it just made so damn much money.

Cronky

The thing I don't like about Avatar and District 9 is...

That they aren't new stories.

District 9 = Any Ghetto (REAL Ghetto, not our usage of it)

They change the people to Aliens, and slap on some CG. Put a UFO or a Big Tree of Souls and we are supposed to be distracted too much to notice the similarities.

Good Job James Cameron. You showed us what it would be like if the Indians would have kicked our ass.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

MR.Mic

Quote from: Cronky on March 09, 2010, 11:05:31 AM

District 9 = apartheid with aliens
[size=2]Lead Visual Effects Artist - Advanced Materials, Particles, and Post-Process Effects
Website: http://studentpages.scad.edu/~ctripp20/index.htm][/size]

Cronky

Quote from: MR.Mic on March 09, 2010, 12:21:52 PM
Quote from: Cronky on March 09, 2010, 11:05:31 AM

District 9 = apartheid with aliens

THAT'S the word I was looking for! Much better descriptor.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

LennardF1989

D9 was indeed an awesome movie.

Farley4Fan

Yes but apartheid with aliens is much more interesting than a Dances with Wolves or Pocahontas clone with blue people.  Apartheid is much more broad of a subject than a simple story that has been told a thousand times.  I enjoyed Avatar but just for the eye candy.  D-9 had some great effects and an interesting story.

goodkebab

I like the quote on wikipedia about Hurt locker, which is criticized for its lack of authenticity, and yet Transformers is praised for it.

Regardless,  the merits of Hurt Locker are not in its authenticity.....its just a good film.  The film was about how war is an addictive drug for the main character, and how it drove him to do reckless things.  The authenticity is lost without a doubt, but does  a good job of driving home the tension and stress of the job.  I think to get that impact though, you have to sacrifice realism for the sake of getting the message to the audience. 

Bubbaganoosh

I didn't think the Hurt Locker was that good tbh. It was ok but I would count many other movies much better (like Black Hawk Down).
"It is a well-documented fact that if you smoke weed you will become a terrorist."  - Farley4Fan
Well it made me lol.

Spekkio

Quoteand yet Transformers is praised for it.
Well, IRL there aren't robots flying around, but the director of Xformers did work with the Navy ships involved in the film...the military aspect of it is authentic, even though it's not the focus of the movie.

Farley4Fan

Quote from: Bubbaganoosh on March 10, 2010, 04:14:33 PM
I didn't think the Hurt Locker was that good tbh. It was ok but I would count many other movies much better (like Black Hawk Down).

Yes.  BHD is amazing.  Every time I watch I love it.  I don't think I could say the same for The Hurt Locker even though I've only seen it once.  Seems like a one and done kind of film.

Spekkio

BHD is praised for being pretty authentic regarding the big stuff, and was shown to people who were there prior to being released. However, their SFX and stuff are all Hollywood, which is more forgivable to me than authentic SFX and a guy who would be kicked out of the military if he wasn't killed first. Much of the criticism of BHD centers around the omission of other specwar/specops units that supported the mission. They also decided not to include the fact that the Somalis grabbed children and used them as bullet shields.

One big fake part of BHD is the hike toward the end of the movie. Word is that they didn't walk that far...they ran it.

CurdyMilk

I have an Oscar.  But it's my dog not a movie award  :(.  He is a little weiner dog (dachshund) and we named him after the Oscar Mayer Weiner Company hot dogs since he is a hot dog himself.  This is how he looks when he begs for food.

tigaer

Quote from: CurdyMilk on March 11, 2010, 01:54:23 AM
I have an Oscar.  But it's my dog not a movie award  :(.  He is a little weiner dog (dachshund) and we named him after the Oscar Mayer Weiner Company hot dogs since he is a hot dog himself.  This is how he looks when he begs for food.

I lol'd. Hard.