Important idea : Auto downloading the maps

Started by AgentX_003, April 10, 2010, 08:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AgentX_003

I think that this feature is important and that when you double click a server if a person doesn't have the map it will auto download, cause look at counterstrike for example , that's what keeps the game alive.

people will wait for it to download as with in reason of time of 3-7 minutes , because there is only few who will go out of their way to go download a map pack.

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

CurdyMilk

It should not be an auto-download, but I agree that there should be the option to download the map directly.  Maybe a little window should pop up asking if you wish to download it or not.  One problem with this is that some maps cannot be used immediately after installation because certain meshes, textures, etc. need to be moved around first.  Another issue could be setting up a static ip address with port forwarding if you have a router.  I'm not certain about this but from Age of Empires The Conquerors I had to do that stuff to play the game with others, and custom maps were automatically installed when the host chose a map people did not have.  It worked well, but setting it up was a big pain especially when everyone had different operating systems and router models.  Maybe we wouldn't have to do that because I am not an expert with this stuff.

LennardF1989

You guys should do your homework, auto-download is supported natively, as could be seen in UT3. No reloads needed whatsoever, just join, download and play.

scope2005

Quote from: LennardF1989 on April 12, 2010, 11:17:20 AM
You guys should do your homework, auto-download is supported natively, as could be seen in UT3. No reloads needed whatsoever, just join, download and play.

Indeed. I myself have always assumed this will be a feature as it is based of UT3/UDK which has this option as default.