Main Menu

My New PC

Started by LennardF1989, August 30, 2010, 10:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennardF1989

I just bought the first and most important part, the Cooler Master Centurion 590

I loved the slick design of this one, especially because it has the power button on top-front (rather than on the side, which is piss-ugly - Yes, looking at your PC frvge :P) and the USB ports on the front, rather than on top of the casing (which seems to be very popular, WHY?!).

Once I receive the case I will order my other parts, a small gripe from the stack:

• XFX 5850 Black Edition (which I will later CrossFire with a second one)
  • ASUS P6X58-E (with x58 Chipset - allowing x16/x16 lanes on SLI/Crossfire - S-ATA 600 and USB 3.0)
  • Intel Core i7-950 (which yesterday dropped 50% in price, core clock at 3,06GHz, TurboBoost to 3,33GHz, overclockable to 4,2GHz with ease)
  • Corsair 6GB DDR3-1600 (Made especially for the X58 chipset and the i7-9xx series)

This in combination with a Cooler Master Silent Pro 700w (with future upgrades in mind, current system uses less than 400 watts).

Notable:
Should run Crysis easily :P

frvge

I got a 690 (really happy with it). Is that comparable? Btw, sounds nice.
I'm waiting for the next-gen CPUs (hexacore and up) and the 6000 series of AMD for graphic cards.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

LennardF1989

Compare it yourself with the picture, yours has the power-button on the side which annoyed me as hell back at GamesCom :P Other than that it's quite similar.

unskilled

IMO you should buy another PowerSupply...something what is tested and used by many users, I have no respect to Cooler Master's PSUs. Buy something from Corsair, BeQuiet, OCZ (Very cheap and successful PSUs) and you should guess about modular cabels that's great to keep clean look inside your PC case. ;)
PSU is most important thing in your PC so don't repent money for it!

LennardF1989

Quote from: KnoogeR on August 30, 2010, 11:00:34 PM
IMO you should buy another PowerSupply...something what is tested and used by many users, I have no respect to Cooler Master's PSUs. Buy something from Corsair, BeQuiet, OCZ (Very cheap and successful PSUs) and you should guess about modular cabels that's great to keep clean look inside your PC case. ;)
PSU is most important thing in your PC so don't repent money for it!
That specific CM PSU is 104 euro's, which I don't think is cheap for a PSU, considering you can get a 600 watts for 40 euro's.

Got any specific types of those above? I want a quiet one, obviously.

frvge

More Watts != better. In fact, it can be worse because of the capacity planning. My 800 Watt PSU is afaik underpowered (meter says its about 275 Watts), which leads to less efficient energy usage.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

LennardF1989

Quote from: frvge on August 30, 2010, 11:04:35 PM
More Watts != better. In fact, it can be worse because of the capacity planning. My 800 Watt PSU is afaik underpowered (meter says its about 275 Watts), which leads to less efficient energy usage.
PSU's wear down, especially when used a lot (20 hours a day is also not considered normal use).

I was merely pointing out that IMO 104 euro's for a PSU when I can get another one for 40 euro's, isn't cheap. Knooger probably meant slightly less efficient than a OCZ or something, rather than cheap.

unskilled

OCZ ModXstream PRO series, Corsair CMPSU-750HXEU (750W), Corsair CMPSU-750AXEU (750W I heard this PSU have seasonic things inside, so this is a good choice).

Don't buy anything from Tagan, they are broken.
Anyway your CPU cooler or Graphic Card cooling will be louder than PSU Fan :D

Sure, you can buy 40Euros PSU, but I don't compare NoNames to real PSUs.

LennardF1989

Quote from: KnoogeR on August 30, 2010, 11:12:35 PM
OCZ ModXstream PRO series, Corsair CMPSU-750HXEU (750W), Corsair CMPSU-750AXEU (750W I heard this PSU have seasonic things inside, so this is a good choice).

Don't buy anything from Tagan, they are broken.
Anyway your CPU cooler or Graphic Card cooling will be louder than PSU Fan :D
While we are at it anyway, got any coolers for the CPU? I was thinking of a CM Power v8 or v10, not really necessary for the time being, as I understood the stock cooler works very well, even after slightly overclocking to 3,5GHz. Especially since the CM Case has like a trillion holes in it and 2-3 stock fans.

unskilled

I want to buy Zalman Ultra Flex + 2 Fans for my i5 soon.
But you could buy CNPS10X Extreme. Very good is Noctua NH-D14 and Scyte Mugen 2.
Look on sizes and be sure it will fits inside your PC case and check it won't touch any motherboard cooling or memory in slots.
Also read some reviews :P

LennardF1989

Once bought a HuntKey 500W after my stock PSU died in my Compaq PC, it still works after like 5 years and it's completely silent. Best PSU I have ever bought, even though it's not a really big brand name.

Thanks for those types, btw.

unskilled

Why do you want build Crossfire?
I guess it's better to buy 1 strong card than two medium.
Not all games support or support so good SLI/CF and it matter also from drivers ;D

But read some tests, and choose if you really need CF. :P

LennardF1989

Quote from: KnoogeR on August 30, 2010, 11:31:25 PM
Why do you want build Crossfire?
I guess it's better to buy 1 strong card than two medium.
Not all games support or support so good SLI/CF and it matter also from drivers ;D

But read some tests, and choose if you really need CF. :P
I'm buying only 1 5850 (about 270 euros) opposed to my original 2x5770 plan (about 260 euro's), so I can later add a second 5850 when I feel the system needs an upgrade (or ditch the card altogether). At the moment the 5850 scores more than a 5770 crossfire setup. I'm definitely not spending more money on a GPU than on a CPU. The next best ATI card is 400 euro's, ZOMG.

Besides, the Black Edition is said to be comparable to the 5870, which is that 400 euro card.

Spekkio

I'm glad that throughout the years, the one constant is the CPU nerd on the hardware thread raving about the importance of a certain brand-name power supply.

MR.Mic

Running Crysis is good, but really the only thing you need to be able to run right now is PS.exe with the -make extension...

...and notepad.
[size=2]Lead Visual Effects Artist - Advanced Materials, Particles, and Post-Process Effects
Website: http://studentpages.scad.edu/~ctripp20/index.htm][/size]