So, how far into this are we?

Started by VenomousNinja, September 02, 2012, 11:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VenomousNinja

Or, if you'd like to think of it in a more optimistic way, how close are we to exiting this development hell?

frvge

Gameplay Programming: 80-160 hours
HUD programming: 60 hours
Gadgets programming: 100 hours
Vision programming: 10 hours
On-screen Weapon programming (Merc): 15 hours
Menus basics: 40 hours
Menu sound: 2 hours
Asylum editor basics: 40 hours
Asylum editor advanced: 100 hours
Asylum environment art: 300 hours
Asylum additional modeling and texturing: 50 hours
Asylum visual effects and 2D animation: 40 hours
Asylum sound design: 100 hours
Lakehouse bugfixing: 5 hours
Lakehouse finalizing: 5 hours

So that's roughly 1027 hours. So little more than 2 months fulltime for 3 people.

Of course, I'm not counting anything for the website, handling contacts and contracts with third parties, server maintenance, PR, community, marketing and not even music. So if you add that.... about 1500 hours I guess.

Edit: also missed visual pass for Lakehouse (10 hours) and Sound Design passes for Lakehouse (10 hours)
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

NeoSuperior

1. Switch asylum to lowest priority, reducing develeopement time for a playable version to 900 hours
2. make closed alpha/beta for active community without asylum
3. use feedback from closed beta players to fix bugs
4. create a PS version with asylum
5. having sucess in Steam greenlight
6. Dev team gets money
7. Release PS 1.0
8. ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
9. PROFIT !!!!
10. Repeat for infinite money
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

frvge

Asylum is on a different track. That's the thing with having separate programmers and artists. However, we only have 1 person working on Asylum and he'll switch to the HUDs soon.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Cronky

What exactly needs to be done in that top half of the list?

What's the difference between only 80 hours on gameplay, and 160?
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

Pusianka

wait wait wait this is the time you think you'd need to do everything?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHa_jqxnn4o

"- It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
- Hit it."

tigaer

Quote from: Pusianka on September 03, 2012, 07:05:41 PM
wait wait wait this is the time you think you'd need to do everything?

Yes. And that's why we need more people.

Pusianka

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHa_jqxnn4o

"- It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
- Hit it."

frvge

Estimations based on
6 years experience of running PS.
10 years experience in programming.
hear-say of our artists

VenomousNinja

Quote from: frvge on September 02, 2012, 11:35:36 PM
Of course, I'm not counting anything for the website, handling contacts and contracts with third parties, server maintenance, PR, community, marketing and not even music. So if you add that.... about 1500 hours I guess.

I can't program very well, but if you guys need the help I'd be willing to step up to the plate for any of these things (besides music, another thing I'm bad at)

frvge

You can always start with basic UnrealScript. It's not that hard but you have to have the time to get into it.

Asshole

Quote from: frvge on September 02, 2012, 11:35:36 PM
Gameplay Programming: 80-160 hours
HUD programming: 60 hours
Gadgets programming: 100 hours
Vision programming: 10 hours
On-screen Weapon programming (Merc): 15 hours
Menus basics: 40 hours
Menu sound: 2 hours
Asylum editor basics: 40 hours
Asylum editor advanced: 100 hours
Asylum environment art: 300 hours
Asylum additional modeling and texturing: 50 hours
Asylum visual effects and 2D animation: 40 hours
Asylum sound design: 100 hours
Lakehouse bugfixing: 5 hours
Lakehouse finalizing: 5 hours

So that's roughly 1027 hours. So little more than 2 months fulltime for 3 people.

Edit: also missed visual pass for Lakehouse (10 hours) and Sound Design passes for Lakehouse (10 hours)

At this pace, lets say each programmer dedicates only 2 hours of work per day, about 3 days per week. So 300 hours for one task is equal to 50 weeks. There are 52 weeks in a year so about 1 year for every 300 hours assuming the work is all done by one person.

frvge

We need more, dedicated programmers. That's the biggest issue.

Savior20061

Do you have the same number you had in '09-'10 or have some of them dropped off? You still have the old crew like Mr. Mic, right?
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7339/savsig2cp5.jpg[/img]
An upcoming novel by me.
Melonie from SC forums made this sig =D

frvge

Not really active. Lennard will be back soon. Rest is mostly inactive.