Main Menu

Ask-the-Devs

Started by frvge, February 21, 2008, 09:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frvge

Mapping is currently done by Zedblade.
Goodkebab will kick into mapping later.

I dont know how many maps we want to have.

PS will roxor.

Stealth will get more attention, but that's basically done by balancing stuff (boosting gadgets). Aggro will still be possible.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Farley4Fan

QuoteAggro will still be possible.

But incredibly nerfed.  With the slow down p. nades, if implemented, and a boosted tazer.  But I can see that they aggro will be helped out by vision changing/nerfing and hopefully more reliable flash bangs.  I've come to realize that after playing PC version for awhile and not console version that flash bangs are way less effective, and I hate that.

AgentX_003

Quote from: Papa Skull on March 30, 2008, 07:14:37 AM

But incredibly nerfed.  With the slow down p. nades, if implemented, and a boosted tazer.  But I can see that they aggro will be helped out by vision changing/nerfing and hopefully more reliable flash bangs.  I've come to realize that after playing PC version for awhile and not console version that flash bangs are way less effective, and I hate that.

>_> where are you ..im waiting to search and destroy =/.... GET ON XFire kid

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

I <3 U

How many animations have you guys done?

How many map concepts do you guys have/How many are you SURE will be made?

LennardF1989

Blog link is in my signature.

Quote from: FR33M4N on March 30, 2008, 12:18:01 AM
How far into the actual animations are you, as i here this is one of the biggest jobs relating to ps?

Roughly how many out of the full amount of animations have you completed (eg. 2/10)?
We have some in the game, but it's not even close to how many we need.

Quote from: Overstatement on March 30, 2008, 12:24:36 AM
Quote from: LennardF1989 on March 29, 2008, 11:37:19 PM
Currently it weights around 50-60 mb. And we aim for "as much as we need", we are not going to strip down the quality just to spare some Gigabytes/Megabytes.

Yeah, we're freeloading off the server so we're going to aim for huge files! And you forgot to mention the HUDs for merc and spy is mostly coded and same with the art for it.
True

Quote from: Xan on March 30, 2008, 12:34:24 AM
Just a couple of additional questions:

1)  Are the merc and spy fully differentiated, so different hitpoints, speeds, etc?

2)  You mention EE and refer to the blog, but i can't find any actual information there.
           Are there now climbable objects?

3)  To what extent are the spy and merc movements complete (ignoring animation if
           they're missing,) are charge and roll implemented? Can spies mantle objects?

4)  How many gadgets have been finished (from a coding perspective), how many are
           underway? And how many do you intend to finish before your first release?

5)  What do to foresee will be the biggest problem to overcome?

You've made great progress and should be commended for it!

Well done!
1. It's way to early for that, that's stuff you do when the game is close to completation. Though, spies and mercs do have a different speed.

2. Make a search for Environmental Events, though, you could compare them to GE's.

3. They only walk around for now, nothing special (I'm not saying we have only that amount of animations!).

4. None, we only have the code to make most of the deployable gadgets implemented.

5. If you mean coding: None really, the biggest we had/foreseen was making visions work clientside (again, see next blog update). But that's all A-OK now. If you mean overall point of view: animations.

Quote from: FR33M4N on March 30, 2008, 12:56:45 PM

Stop asking any further questions about the animations, they are a problem (this is already like your third post about it in a row). No comment.

Gawain

that's not really true:
-the most common death reasons for good spies are lag charges, soundloss (mines), insta frag nades and inability to get a SS hit in time; all this will hopefully be history.
-the boosted tazer doesn't stopp hack-n-run tactics, but only makes going for necks and running around next to the merc harder
-the ph nade slow-down effect like suggested in the ph n. thread isn't that big, it's rather an addition so that ph nades also help against aggro and not only against stealth

flash bangs work quite reliable in ct if you taze the merc and throw it on the ground with quick-drop.

Tidenburg

I really hope agro isn't nurfed, it was a game play choice. Question to any dev, are you actually planning on crippling agro or are you going to do the smarter thing and just make stealth more attractive. i.e easier than agro (why most people go agro in the first place)

Gawain

the biggest problem regarding stealth is probably the sound implementation.

I <3 U

Quote from: LennardF1989 on March 30, 2008, 12:58:48 PM

How far into the actual animations are you, as i here this is one of the biggest jobs relating to ps?

Roughly how many out of the full amount of animations have you completed (eg. 2/10)?

Currently it weights around 50-60 mb. And we aim for "as much as we need", we are not going to strip down the quality just to spare some Gigabytes/Megabytes.

Yeah, we're freeloading off the server so we're going to aim for huge files! And you forgot to mention the HUDs for merc and spy is mostly coded and same with the art for it.
True

1)  Are the merc and spy fully differentiated, so different hitpoints, speeds, etc?

2)  You mention EE and refer to the blog, but i can't find any actual information there.

3)  To what extent are the spy and merc movements complete (ignoring animation if

4)  How many gadgets have been finished (from a coding perspective), how many are

Well done!
1. It's way to early for that, that's stuff you do when the game is close to completation. Though, spies and mercs do have a different speed.

2. Make a search for Environmental Events, though, you could compare them to GE's.

3. They only walk around for now, nothing special (I'm not saying we have only that amount of animations!).

4. None, we only have the code to make most of the deployable gadgets implemented.

5. If you mean coding: None really, the biggest we had/foreseen was making visions work clientside (again, see next blog update). But that's all A-OK now. If you mean overall point of view: animations.

Stop asking any further questions about the animations, they are a problem (this is already like your third post about it in a row). No comment.

Instead of just ignoring my post like you did last time, you could say "were not very far into it, and havent done hardly any" that way i wouldnt post it 3 times...

I <3 U

Quote from: Rambo on March 30, 2008, 02:17:55 PM

that's not really true:
-the most common death reasons for good spies are lag charges, soundloss (mines), insta frag nades and inability to get a SS hit in time; all this will hopefully be history.
-the boosted tazer doesn't stopp hack-n-run tactics, but only makes going for necks and running around next to the merc harder
-the ph nade slow-down effect like suggested in the ph n. thread isn't that big, it's rather an addition so that ph nades also help against aggro and not only against stealth

flash bangs work quite reliable in ct if you taze the merc and throw it on the ground with quick-drop.

Yeh but it still sucks ass when it doesn't work..

Gawain

even when it's working, smoke > flash because it drains mask which make the almighty "adhesive cams" even more potent.

Zedblade

Quote from: FR33M4N on March 30, 2008, 03:30:01 PM
Quote from: LennardF1989 on March 30, 2008, 12:58:48 PM

True

Well done!

Instead of just ignoring my post like you did last time, you could say "were not very far into it, and havent done hardly any" that way i wouldnt post it 3 times...

Come on. It's been said a trillion times. Animations are our biggest problem. Stop asking the same question over and over. We got shit for animations. There now be silent.

Quote from: Xan on March 30, 2008, 01:15:41 AM
You've got 3 level designers, how many would you like to have ideally?

How many maps do you want to have before release?

We have 1. Me.

Farley4Fan

Quote from: Rambo on March 30, 2008, 02:17:55 PM

that's not really true:

Flash bangs are garbage on PC compared to xbox version.  Even on xbox they aren't 100% effective all the time, but on PC it's hardly reliable except for a few situations.  The reason why the tazer isn't in your list of most common spy deaths is because it sucks, you can see that pop on your list if the tazer is boosted properly.  And that is THE best tool against aggro if it gets a boost, which it should (Don't forget that lag will be way less of an issue so tazer misses due to lag are out of the question).  On top of that you have the p. nade, which takes away the spy's speed advantage allowing the merc more time to shoot/tazer the spy.  If you look at the effective radius you suggested, all you would have to do is throw a few down and you've got a large area covered where a spy can't run away from you, or quickly toward you.

BUT, as I said before, this is somewhat balanced out by the fact that visions will be nerfed/changed.  And lag charge kills will be less common I'm guessing.  Still, flash bangs deserve a boost after what I've noticed from the xbox ---> PC switch.  They're almost completely useless and inferior to the smoke nade in every way.

neth

Quote from: Papa Skull on March 31, 2008, 01:27:19 PM
And that is THE best tool against aggro if it gets a boost

If you consider aggro to be foolish running to get a grab, it sure is useful...But aggro is not played like that.

Spekkio

QuoteFlash bangs are garbage on PC compared to xbox version. 
LoL?

Flashbangs are plenty effective. You may not prefer them, but they are just as good as smoke.