How much would you pay for PS?

Started by Cronky, April 16, 2012, 10:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much would you pay for Project Stealth? (In US Dollars)

$0 (Initially advertised as free and that's what I want)
5 (15.2%)
$1-20 (I wouldn't mind making a donation)
12 (36.4%)
$21-40 (Not too much, but not too little)
7 (21.2%)
$41-60 (I feel it's worth full AAA game price)
5 (15.2%)
Other (explain in a reply)
4 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

GanglarToronto

Oh at least 50...  Nothing can top this type of game.

feev

Here is an idea:

1. try to calculate the amount of new personnel and time to finish the mod
2. open a kickstarterpage, asking for the planned amount of cash
3. given that the amount of money is received, hire the planned staff and finish the mod

I know that it may sound a bit simplistic and / or wishfull thinking, but I'd give it a try

frvge

We're keeping all options open ;)
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

feev

Great.

BTW: A couple of days ago I helped funding a game which also will have stealth elements once it's completed.
(http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/486250632/republique-by-camouflaj-logan)

frvge

Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

CHOKE ARTlST

I pretty much hate Steam. That being said, I purchase a ton of cheap indie games from them. I think this would be a great fit at $10 providing decent money and exposure. Then again, if it were free to download and play, I would certainly donate twice that to help reimburse the dev team for all their hard work. Either way, the quality of the final product will surely determine the longevity and profitability of the project.
Fat chicks need lovin' too, but they gotta pay.

TheShadowHider

as long as you don't have to pay per month I would pay what I usually pay for video games.

NeoSuperior

How about making it free, but if you want to host a server you need the "full version"?
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

frvge

Quote from: Meister_Neo on July 08, 2012, 12:35:24 PM
How about making it free, but if you want to host a server you need the "full version"?
Interesting idea. Didn't think about that one yet.

VaNilla

Flawed idea in my opinion. How much do people value the ability to host a server? Given that it's a P2P environment where a LAN client could achieve the same purpose, not very much. All it would do is prevent players from playing the game, as there wouldn't be as many people hosting games. It would cause an early death for Project Stealth if you did that, in my opinion :P

NeoSuperior

Well... it does not have to be EXACTLY like i said. But just so when people like the game, they can get additional features that in no way make their gameplay easier than for non-payers, if they "donate" for the game. Things like different colored names or something like that. Also you have to bear in mind that frvge and co. dont have unlimited server capacities, so it wouldn't be too good if they have 200 public servers. And for PS to work, we NEED dedicated servers. People with ping of 0 always have an advantage!

Anyway.. the problem is: PS needs money, but taking it from players is a risk, because you have no access to the "12-year-old-CoD-kiddies", because the game is "too hard" for them and stealth genre is not very popular at the moment. So not giving it out for free, may bury PS before it even really starts to kick in, because there are no (or just very few) players. On the other hand frvge will not act as the "great-charity-man" who pays all bills for the games and server costs himself, naturally. It would be more than unfair to the developers, if it would end like that.

Also... WE, who are active here right now are also not really enough to pay for everything, I guess.

So before we discuss further... frvge, if we just for now leave the issue with the money aside: Do you plan to make "public/dedicated" servers that are always active and can be used by players so there is no host advantage? Or do you not plan something like that?
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

frvge

We'll see about supplying dedicated server. For now, it's a no. Mostly because of resources indeed. We'll be supplying the master servers of course.

NeoSuperior

OK... then will it be possible that a 5th guy creates a server and is spectating himself? Or maybe things like Gamemasters/Moderators checking for bugs in some games, looking out for cheaters or maybe to help new guys to get into the game?

- Mike Godwin

frvge

Not anymore. We dropped a few of those things to make development easier. Up till 6 months ago, I would have said yes.