Co-creating a new theme, part 1

Started by frvge, June 13, 2011, 01:32:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DreadStunLock

Quote from: frvge on August 18, 2011, 12:22:41 AM
Its a capital lambda, yes. Half-life uses the lower-case Greek letter. Equals the sign of masculinity, as seen in obelisks and the 'male' sign and mimics the rough shape of... you guessed it... a penis. Mercs are bad-ass males.

Spies, with their latex rubber suits and acrobatics on the other hand... uh...

I guess originality ain't in your vocabularitore....

frvge

What? Greek letters, as in the alphabet, have a lot of symbolism.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

DreadStunLock

Quote from: frvge on August 18, 2011, 12:25:19 AM
What? Greek letters, as in the alphabet, have a lot of symbolism.

Yes...but not bloody originality if I saw Half-life in it... :|

Cronky

It should be two big golden arches that come together in a way to make an M.

...I'm suddenly hungry.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

VaNilla

Wow! Tigaer's layout looks great, but with some minor changes I think it would look perfect! I spent a few minutes moving some things around in Photoshop, here's a video demonstration of the changes I've made, as well as a screenshot.

Project Stealth: Forum Layout Demonstration (YouTube)
Screenshot: Forum Layout Modified By Paul Cooban

PS. You should really allow the embedding of YouTube videos on the forum.

LennardF1989

Quote from: frvge on August 18, 2011, 12:22:41 AM
Spies, with their latex rubber suits and acrobatics on the other hand... uh...
Spies should get a V in that case (obvious The Da Vinci Code reference is obvious).

Anyway, I like Tigaers design, it also has a touch of Battlefield Bad Company 2 interface, which I like. But somehow, it doesn't fit with the logo. Maybe make the logo more blueish, or make the blue more greenish/gray - but it could be the placeholder background ruining it.

I also like STON3's layout better, usability-wise: http://www.imagebam.com/image/d55205145558209

tigaer

I agree, I like the suggested changes of swapping positions of the log in and navigation bar. I'll definitely put that to use in the final version. Any other changes you guys see? I might try a few things to make navigation easier and all that, and have a little fun with some things.

The 'new post' icon is the icon for the mercenary team (AKA my avatar for almost the last year), the spy version of the layout will be the spies logo, which I'll show the next time I post the design. Frvge is right, it's based off the greek alphabet, so it'll most likely stay unless I come up with something else in the future. They were both just placeholder logos, but they grew on me over the months I spent designing the UI system, so I'm not looking into redoing them anytime soon.

tigaer

Spy version. I really wanted to use the old concept art images kebab did for the characters just as a sort of 'history of PS' theme, so I put them to use. The background images will be static, just in case anybody was wondering. The 'Log In' and 'Unread Posts' pop up bars would only be visible when the buttons are moused over.

If anybody wants to grab the background images I'll be using and use them as their wallpaper, I got you covered. ;)

DreadStunLock

Now that is HAWT! And it removes the "Too" long arm mistake x) Awesome!

VaNilla

I like the changes tigaer :D. I still think the 'log in' and 'unread posts' buttons look really clunky though, despite the mouse over issue. The idea with using a 'go' button like I did instead of the blue square is that logging in becomes self explanatory, so it removes the need for the clutter of having 'log in' appear. The issue with the unread posts button is that it sticks out the side of the forum, I think it'd be better if you just added a hyperlinked 'Unread Posts' bar like I did in the forum header. You could still keep it the same though, perhaps when you mouse over it should appear in a pop-up box like if you were to mouse over a hyperlink on webpage, which would follow your mouse while you had your mouse on the button. That way it doesn't intrude on the design, and feels more usable.

EDIT: Also on mobile devices I don't imagine 'mouse over' really works, so I still see the changes I made to log in/unread posts as better looking :P

Cronky

Quote from: tigaer on August 18, 2011, 11:01:21 AM

Off Topic, but I'd like to mention how much I like the concept Merc. It's more casual than the current Merc. It would be sweet if at one point we had the option to switch the Merc skin in-game and use one more resembling that.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------

DreadStunLock

The mercenary itself, or the mercenaries changed hue and the background?

Cronky

The Mercenary himself. While I like the Merc that's been made, it'd be sweet to have a 2nd skin more akin to the concept Merc.

I don't know if it's the short sleeved T-shirt, the clutterless look, or the unintended idea that covering their face up makes killing them seem like a more acceptable choice*.

*The Biggest Star Wars Plot Hole Explained By Science
-----------------------

LennardF1989

You might want to pick one of the later concept-art, the "trident" goggles could be a legal issue hence why it was changed later on. Or Photoshop it away (best option IMO), then it's alright :)

AgentX_003

Quote from: LennardF1989 on August 19, 2011, 12:46:33 AM

You might want to pick one of the later concept-art, the "trident" goggles could be a legal issue hence why it was changed later on. Or Photoshop it away (best option IMO), then it's alright :)

whats fucked up is that Project stealth used it way before convictions even had something like that ie.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100310102549/splintercell/images/2/2f/Shadow_armor.jpg

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD