Main Menu

Traps

Started by Cronky, August 15, 2010, 02:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cronky

Okay. Random thought popped into my head.

People (I) usually place mines near Medboxes. It's cool. It's fun. It sometimes kills people. Now it's a little hokey on how you set that up. Usually you try to find some tricky spot to hide it (On xbox you could partially plant it inside the medboxes if set underneath).

Now what IF...

You could plant them inside. A Trap if you will, but this time a legitimate action.

Obviously you couldn't just make it an instant kill, or if you did it would have to be pretty blatant that it was in there....

OH WAIT. I got it!

So most people (I) just run up to a medbox and jam on the action button to get some health. Well let's pretend again that this time there is a mine inside of said medbox. When you run up to it, instead of two options, "Heal, Cancel" there would be a THIRD option, "Disarm Mine/Trap/Death dealer".

Now it's a Trap. So unlike setting a proxy, where it blows up when they get near, it blows up when they open it.

To make it less stupid the "Disarm" option would be the second one (Above Cancel, but below Heal). Heal being highlighted first. So those who hammer the action button will get a nice heal, right before a face full of death. The observant spy though will see the "Disarm" option and disarm it first before healing. Disarming will take just as long as it does taking off any mine so the poisoned spy doesn't have an unfair chance of dying because of this.

Pretty good, right?

EDIT:

Oh, and the Mercs MUST have Mines to get this option. Much like the Spies options, the Merc will have a 3rd, if mines are equipped, "Trap" Option when they approach a Medbox.

PERHAPS Spies can also have a variant of this. Using say.... The... Adhesive Cam (That hurt to type). No disarm? Sleeping Gas all up in the Merc's face.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

Tidenburg

This thread title was misleading.

Cronky

You want the General/Off-Topic version of this Thread.

;)
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------

VaNilla

Interesting idea. So you're saying if I were to run up to a health pack and tap 'heal' without paying attention, a mine could explode? I think it's problematic in that people would learn to check after the first 2 or 3 times, making those mines redundant.

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Nope. When A spy's on the run, it'd work wonderfully.

Cronky

Quote from: STON3COLDKILLA on August 15, 2010, 02:46:12 PM
Interesting idea. So you're saying if I were to run up to a health pack and tap 'heal' without paying attention, a mine could explode? I think it's problematic in that people would learn to check after the first 2 or 3 times, making those mines redundant.

Not saying you're wrong, it would become redundant, but there is no difference between this "Trap" and any popular mine spot on any map.

It's a Trap, so it's not ALL about killing the Spy, but instead limiting their options. People may start to look, but that doesn't mean their mind is faster than their hand when they've got little health and a Merc close behind. ;)

Plus, this takes up a Mine. So not everyone would use this all the time. There are many more places to put a mine when you are limited to putting 3 down at a time. (Also many more Medboxes alternatively)
-----------------------

Spark Mandriller

This just sounds like it'd be annoying tbh.

Cronky

Quote from: B-3A Misty Lady on August 15, 2010, 07:50:46 PM
This just sounds like it'd be annoying tbh.

To me it sounds like the exact same process as when somebody puts a mine right next to a medbox.

Merc: Mines are equipped. Merc is near, if not at the Medbox. Merc plants mine as close to medbox as possible.

Spy: Walk up to medbox. Disarm Mine. Take Health.

Why change it if it's (almost) exactly the same? Because it makes it a legitimate move, and is a change that doesn't change anything. I was pretty sure everyone here loved those ;)

AND

It's annoying regardless whether this idea is present or not. So take that as you will.
-----------------------

Spark Mandriller

I don't have to fight with the interface if someone puts a mine next to the health. With your idea I do. I'm not really into fighting with controls, it's not too fun.

Cronky

Hrmm...

Fighting with the interface. You are really exaggerating there. Remember, unlike a proxy, you have as MUCH time in the world to do this. As long as you don't heal first then you're good.

With a mine set RIGHT below a Medbox in CT you'd either have a box that said "Disarm" and "Cancel", or "Heal" and "Cancel". IF CT combined action prompt boxes then this had the same box that I'm proposing right now.

This idea is to put a "Trap" (Remember the title?) that makes this whole situation on purpose, instead of just a coincidence of CT Programming (Which may not be working the same on PS).

Unless the PS devs are going to make the little action options box the hardest thing to ever use, then this will literally take a second to disarm. One scroll down of the mouse wheel? One down arrow key? ...I'd really hate to see your mind get blown by such complexity.

-----------------------

Farley4Fan

Admiral Ackbar does not approve.

Cronky

Quote from: Farley4Fan on August 15, 2010, 11:26:20 PM
Admiral Ackbar does not approve.

But But...

Look.

PUPPIES!

-----------------------

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

This aint no puppie, it's a fucking disgrace to the dog kind, on what fucking principle are these fucking dogs, they can't even bark properly. They're fucking cats on steroids crossbred with fucking cockroaches.
GTFO with your "puppies" pfff.

frvge

We might combine the interaction box options. I'll have to ask Mulle for that.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Cronky

Quote from: Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet on August 15, 2010, 11:39:30 PM
This aint no puppie, it's a fucking disgrace to the dog kind, on what fucking principle are these fucking dogs, they can't even bark properly. They're fucking cats on steroids crossbred with fucking cockroaches.
GTFO with your "puppies" pfff.

LOOK WHAT GOOGLE IMAGES HAS DONE TO ME.

I present this new picture to be judged

Quote from: frvge on August 15, 2010, 11:46:11 PM
We might combine the interaction box options. I'll have to ask Mulle for that.

Would be quite the thing to pass up. Imagine the hell someone could cause if you didn't.

<.< Still like this idea though. Either a mine in there, or a bear trap. I don't care which it is. I just want one.

It's new, it's exciting, and if it gets denied then give me a couple minutes and I'll think up a new idea.
-----------------------