TF2: "Connection Failed After 4 Tries"

Started by Cronky, August 23, 2010, 07:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cronky

I'm throwing this up here because one of you may have ran into this problem before, and here's hoping that one of you know the solution....

So my friend and I like to play ourselves some TF2 when I'm over at his place. Most of the time we get in with no hassle. Get a hour or two of DoubleCross in, then we're done.

Now here's the problem... Sometimes there is a LOT of hassle to get into the same game. One of us will get in just fine, but the other will be left at the "Loading Screen" stuck at the "Connecting to Server" part of it's process.

Anytime it actually shows this "Connecting to Server" piece it's undoubtedly going to give us the error message in the title. Usually the "Connecting to the Server" part goes by so fast that you'd think "Parsing Game Info" was the first thing it did.

If one of us quits then other can join the server just fine, so we've come to assume it has something to do with the Interwebs/router. Whether we're both hardlined in, wireless, or a mix of the two we still have said problem. Eventually the other can get in, but the time it takes varies between mere minutes on a good day, and upwards into 45 minutes on a bad one.

After doing a google search, it seems as if this problem is somewhat common, some under different circumstances, but no-one seems to have a real definitive solution.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

frvge

Happens IMO when the server is having connection problems.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Cronky

I could understand that.

Though in the times that this happens people are still entering the sever at a pretty good pace. A connection could be bad on their part that restricts some people from entering, but either of us can join the sever as long as the other isn't already in.

This happens on a regular basis. Such as about 2 hours ago. On a different server this time. (Newgrounds Seattle sever)

It hasn't made much sense to me as to why we can't instantly get in. Taking in that we:

-Have both gotten in before without problem

-There is room to join

-That it isn't subject to only ONE server, but can happen to any.

-Eventually, if the problem arises, it does let us both through.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------

frvge

Maybe a problem with your IP being the same? Happens sometimes, even tho it shouldn't be possible.
Or a shared Steam account?
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Cronky

Our thoughts were on the same IP idea.

I can understand a server not allowing duplicate IP's in (to a certain extent), but what would be the factor that eventually does let the other in?

Is there a way to "fix" that (on our side, not the server)? I'm not very up to snuff with router settings, or Networking jazz. Seems like there "could" be something that could be done.

We each have our own steam account/copy of the game. (just for clarification)
-----------------------