Cans, Bottles, and Rocks

Started by Cronky, March 29, 2011, 04:01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cronky

I've tried typing this 3 times and it keeps turning into an essay.

Here comes the short version:

Think splinter cell. Rocks, bottles, cans, etc. that were used as distractions. Insert that into Project Stealth. You throw the item; Merc gets a ping on their sound detector deal when it impacts. Make the items randomly generated in the level for variety. Also make the items random on top of placement, as in:

-Rocks are indestructible, but they don't travel far. (So, reusable)

-Bottles break on impact. (Perhaps if thrown at a Merc they get a wet kind of deal on their hud. Like slightly blurry, not stunned though.)

-Cans bounce more (thus more pings)

::Note:: Secondary characteristics/abilities of each items are just thrown in there because I thought of them at the time.

So even though you found a can somewhere once when you played, it may not be there another time. Or it may be a rock, or a bottle. ...I think you guys get it.

Pretty much they're improvised Alarm snares. Perhaps this has already been discussed, but either way... Thoughts? Good, bad, righteously kickass?

If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

AgentX_003

Quote from: Cronky on March 29, 2011, 04:01:15 AM
I've tried typing this 3 times and it keeps turning into an essay.

Here comes the short version:

Think splinter cell. Rocks, bottles, cans, etc. that were used as distractions. Insert that into Project Stealth. You throw the item; Merc gets a ping on their sound detector deal when it impacts. Make the items randomly generated in the level for variety. Also make the items random on top of placement, as in:

-Rocks are indestructible, but they don't travel far. (So, reusable)

-Bottles break on impact. (Perhaps if thrown at a Merc they get a wet kind of deal on their hud. Like slightly blurry, not stunned though.)

-Cans bounce more (thus more pings)

::Note:: Secondary characteristics/abilities of each items are just thrown in there because I thought of them at the time.

So even though you found a can somewhere once when you played, it may not be there another time. Or it may be a rock, or a bottle. ...I think you guys get it.

Pretty much they're improvised Alarm snares. Perhaps this has already been discussed, but either way... Thoughts? Good, bad, righteously kickass?

good topic to bring up , I mean you have cans in orphanage on the floor to shoot which ping the merc's reticle which can sometimes cause confusion. The one problem is that eventually people
are going to catch on sooner or later , then  snares will just take it's place.

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

Cronky

Quote from: AgentX_003 on March 29, 2011, 05:33:32 AM
good topic to bring up , I mean you have cans in orphanage on the floor to shoot which ping the merc's reticle which can sometimes cause confusion. The one problem is that eventually people
are going to catch on sooner or later , then  snares will just take it's place.

The point isn't for these to take the job of snares, but instead give a certain level of randomness to the levels. While it does the same general job (in a very limited way), I just like the idea that you'd have something you couldn't control over the level.

You know where the objectives are. You know where hack spots are. You know the amount of equipment the other team has. You know where the popular mine/hiding spots are. This idea is a small, but also random variable. I think it couldn't hurt and sounds fun, BUT that's just me.

Most of my thinking for this was from the time I played Metal Gear Online. The levels had cardboard boxes randomly strewn about the levels so that if you yourself were using a box to hide in, then it wouldn't look out of place. This is obviously different, more in the context of SvM, but same concept. A variable that you have no control over but can come in handy.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------

Farley4Fan

People won't really catch on if they have random spawning spots.  I guess you could make long strips of spawning area and just have it randomly place some like Cronky said.  Of course it wouldn't be cool or aesthetically pleasing to have cans in every single hallway.  Up to the mapper?  Would be a cool feature.

To further extend the conversation how about broken glass from shot-out windows?  Could add some strategy.  Do I give the spy an easy entrance by blasting out this window so that I can hear him enter that door below, or do I just leave it be?  I'm thinking of squat.

DreadStunLock

If the programmers create it so that if you are crouched you roll the items you execute, and if you stand up he will throw them near his feet. Also we need a silent drop button so that when you drop the item it doesn't alert the area. And with a button E, it would allow you to throw it into a distance.

Rocks should also cause minor damage or even a KO for few seconds if it's a headshot. Or if you manage to throw it at the mercenaries gun he loses the grip of his gun for few seconds.

For cans I would like to see them roll quite a long distance, imagine if you throw it into the vent and it keeps rolling creating the sound pings? That would definitely work amazingly.

MulleDK19

QuoteCans, Bottles, and Rocks

Sigh, it's "Rock, paper, scissors"... :p

Also, what you suggest was already possible in Versus.

If my heart ever heals, I will make sure it'll never break again.

frvge

Interesting idea!

I like the idea, but I don't think we're going to put it in yet. Remind us later.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

puuusianka

Quote from: Morten "MulleDK19" Pedersen on March 29, 2011, 04:12:42 PM

Also, what you suggest was already possible in Versus.

ye well if throwing system in Versus was better then it would make some sense. I really liked what agent T-bone made: spy throwable frag granades.

I think the idea of cans, bottles and rocks has a Real big potential it just needs to be done properly. Making  one gagdet of many uses is a thing that should be thought out more carefully in this case.
Let's try and make 3 uses of ever each of these.
Can:
- noise
- block lasers?
- ?
Rock:
- noise
- KO
- puting in doors to block them?
Bottles:
- noise
- a water spot that will make merc fall on his back?
- visions broken when liquid spilled on head.

Farley4Fan

Quote from: DreadStunLock on March 29, 2011, 10:17:43 AM
If the programmers create it so that if you are crouched you roll the items you execute, and if you stand up he will throw them near his feet. Also we need a silent drop button so that when you drop the item it doesn't alert the area. And with a button E, it would allow you to throw it into a distance.

Rocks should also cause minor damage or even a KO for few seconds if it's a headshot. Or if you manage to throw it at the mercenaries gun he loses the grip of his gun for few seconds.

For cans I would like to see them roll quite a long distance, imagine if you throw it into the vent and it keeps rolling creating the sound pings? That would definitely work amazingly.

Rolling them down vents is a good idea, but throwing rocks at mercs?  lmao

DreadStunLock

That was just a suggestion, but throwing a rock in a fast succession would be nice to just disorient him from shooting you....especially against the goddamn host mercenaries....3 bullets, dead :(

Cronky

Oh you...

@Farley

I assume there will be a nice way to put these items in so they add more to a level aethetically rather than every level just looking like it just passed 5pm and everyone threw their shit on the ground. Certain levels can have the cluttered mess look (like orphanage) and gain a visual benefit, but I get what you are getting at. Mapper placement may not be the kind of random that was my original intent, but it's better than nothing.

I like the Window idea also. Sounds like a good risk-reward deal. Sounds like Spies themselves wouldn't be able to break these windows so it would truly be a Merc decision (unless otherwise tricked into doing so). Would be interesting to have to contemplate that situation as a spy.

@Dread

When I was first thinking of the rock I'd been thinking about whether it could Hurt/KO/Stun a Merc or not. I ended up leaving it out because then it might be abused and lose the focus of it's use. In my head it's not supposed to be something you go out of your way to try and get. A rock that can KO Mercs (even if I have to be super accurate) being something I would scavenge a level to try and find.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds fun. Just seems like it maaay be too much.

Can idea is golden. Love it.

The dropping mechanics should be a no brainer.

@puuu

You may be putting too much thought into what else they could do. I'd hesitate to call them gadgets also (I get you just mean things you use. Not like something you pick from the equipment loadout screen). While they could have a whole crapton of secondary things they might be able to do, which might just make them more useful, I think it might be more acceptable if it was just simply used for a distraction.

...Unless popular vote goes for craptons of secondary abilities they could have. Then by all means blast the crap out of this thread with potentials, cause they sound fun so far. ;)
-----------------------

Farley4Fan

I guess if the spies can pick them up and throw them at will then it hardly matters where these cans spawn, because the spy will throw them in a different spot anyways.  If they are placed in enough places around the map then the merc will have no choice but to assume that it was not a can that pinged his hud.

DreadStunLock

As long as at the end of the match, all of those cans and rocks and scissors are thrown away from the map boundaries, cause working as an Usher, picking up after peoples shit is definitely not my cup of tea :)

Just kidding, but I just hope then they will create something good with rocks or not implement them at all, because if you can't use a heavy object offensively....well :| That will just look wrong.

puuusianka

Quote from: Cronky on March 29, 2011, 10:15:52 PM

Oh you...

@puuu

You may be putting too much thought into what else they could do. I'd hesitate to call them gadgets also (I get you just mean things you use. Not like something you pick from the equipment loadout screen). While they could have a whole crapton of secondary things they might be able to do, which might just make them more useful, I think it might be more acceptable if it was just simply used for a distraction.

...Unless popular vote goes for craptons of secondary abilities they could have. Then by all means blast the crap out of this thread with potentials, cause they sound fun so far. ;)

Well you know I am thinking of secondary uses since they can be very interesting but at the same time nearly unnoticible e.g. Cam can block lasers or a Can can block doors!(you just have to set the right collision and retry when encrouch option in doors(in versus ofc).) these little features are like for coneseurs and they are cool for gameplay. Ubi also thought of seconndary uses of gadgets - spy bullet, alarm snare are good examples. Also many uses of gadgets is what I like about Thief series - waterarrows put out light, wash blood off the floor, make moss grow bigger. Really nice!
People like to have gadgets that they can experiment with and pickable objects could be just it!