New Sticky Cam (OCP instead of Gas)

Started by Cronky, August 16, 2011, 09:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cronky

This idea popped into my head a few minutes ago, and I know Sticky Cams AND OCP have been talked to death, but I'm not sure if this has been talked about.

WHAT IF...

You could take a sticky cam that INSTEAD of having gas, had an OCP like disabler deal with it. You could shoot it on a wall, ceiling, floor, etc. and then point it at something and activate the OCP effect on whatever you're pointing it at. Since it's of the OCP variety, it wouldn't give a security message for knocking out said laser/mine/camera/etc, but it would require you to keep a camera focused on it. Put in the right position, a spy could use this camera to sneak into an area without alerting the Mercs, but that would take knowledge of the map and good sticky cam placement.

On top of this functionality I could imagine that the spy could use it against a Merc like a laser mine, but for spies. What you would do is set up a sticky cam on whatever surface you wish. Lets say for example sake you set it on a wall in a hallway. You would then point the camera at the opposite wall and activate the OCP effect. Now when a Merc runs through this "Laser" he would get a quick drop out of his HUD/Vision. Much in the same vein as getting a headshot with a SS, but only lasts while the Merc stands in the laser. Instantly coming back when they leave the lasers line.

As with the normal sticky cam, the camera is the only thing that is visible in EMF. If the laser showed up in EMF then the cam would be FAR too easy to find and thus have little practical use. Spies with clever placement of this cam would be rewarded by being able to shut down Vision whoring at a pivotal spot and/or other effects that a Hud-less Merc has to deal with.

Some variations that sound cool, but I'm not sure would work is:

-Instead of a "Laser" you could activate a radius style OCP. Knocking out stuff within a certain distance. Laser being used for specific things. (So you could use both, but only one at a time)
-Perhaps if you point it at a hackable door's panel and then hack the door, it will keep the door open instead of closing after a certain amount of time. (Having the cam hack the door itself seems like too much)

I'm not sure what this does for gameplay, but it seemed like a fine idea in my head. I'd be interested in seeing what other people thought of it.

Pros:
-Disables Static Defenses/Merc placed defenses without alerting the Merc (Good placement, or quick cam versions of this means that you could enter and area with a Merc never being alerted, even through multiple defenses)
-Can shut down Mines/Spy traps without giving the Merc the ability to place another
-Can disrupt a Merc's vision
-Can recon an area (same as the Normal Sticky Cam)

Variation Pros:
-[radius variation]Can disable securities/Merc visions within a certain radius without alerting the Merc (This would be evil in a dark room for a Merc if there were multiple cams. Since EMF/Torchlight wouldn't be useable)
-[door hack variation]Can keep a hackable door open for the life of the cam

Cons:
-Can be seen in EMF (Cam, not OCP laser/radius)
-Does not have an "Aggressive" use (Gas being aggressive)
-Slower than just using Chaff/SS
-Bad placement can limit use
-Limited supply

Variations Cons:
-[radius variation] Radius is smaller than chaff

Debate-able ability:

-Can be picked back up if within reach
-More than one can be active at a time
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

VaNilla

Interesting idea but I doubt people would take it over other gadgets for the lack of real benefit it gives you.

Cronky

In my head the primary benefits would be to those who want to be overly sneaky. Aggro players would still opt for the Gas cam for it's knock out potential.

::EDIT::

Moved the Pros/Cons list to my Original Post
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------

Farley4Fan

Actually sounds really interesting.  I can imagine the super tricky shots already.

Cronky

It seems to hit a middle ground. Mainly because all the talk about OCP, whether it be a new gun/glove or just a gadget, seemed to all end with the same result: It changes the spy gameplay too much. Taking away the sticky shocker seems to be an impossibility for most, and adding OCP to the sticky shocker seemed too little a use for others (at the cost of a gadget slot that is).

Everyone apparently takes the Sticky Cams already, so altering them for more stealth players, rather than the aggro nature of Knock out gas, sounds like a sweet idea. Granted most people take the Sticky Cams specifically for the knock out gas...

BUT that's why this idea has a use that actually sounds useful... at least to me. ;)
-----------------------

NeoSuperior

There is 1 very good use for such a cam:

You hack a comp and dont have to worry about a merc coming around the corner and HS-ing you. For example in Museum you can hack cafe in/out and risk to continue it, instead of running away 1sec, before the merc comes by.
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

frvge

Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Cronky

Quote from: Meister_Neo on August 16, 2011, 11:14:48 PM
There is 1 very good use for such a cam:

You hack a comp and dont have to worry about a merc coming around the corner and HS-ing you. For example in Museum you can hack cafe in/out and risk to continue it, instead of running away 1sec, before the merc comes by.

I understood all of that except whatever HS-ing is. I think I might be dumb.
-----------------------

NeoSuperior

If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

Cronky

...Yeah. I'm dumb. (I didn't think about the fact that it would keep the Merc from going into sniper mode also. That's a good point)

BUT ON ANOTHER NOTE. I think this idea is awesome, and I think I'm awesome, AND I'm on TEAM AWESOME. I got a Triple A rating as of now. So Frvge, put it in the game. ;)
-----------------------

NeoSuperior

wait a sec.... so now we have  the smoke nade and the chaff nade inside the cam... so... how about adding a third cam, with the ability to "flash" once? :D

- Mike Godwin

frvge

Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

NeoSuperior

- Mike Godwin

DreadStunLock

CurdyMilk

Are you saying the cam can only be used to disable a mine, camera, etc. OR be used as a laser to affect the merc's HUD?  I can't see how it would do both at the same time.  The cam should have both functions, but only one or the other should be activated.  Also, there should be a limit to the distance of a laser, much like a poison/ laser mine (maybe longer distance but have a limit)