Controller Support?

Started by Scanty Chunk, April 17, 2013, 12:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scanty Chunk

Will PS have controller support? I played SCCT on xbox and am totally used to playing it on a controller. I tried SCCT on PC and I'm absolutely terrible with it. Plus the gradient speed with a mouse and keyboard is a nightmare.

I really think that controller support would be a great addition because of some old SCCT players and better control of gradient speed.

frvge

We want to have Xbox controller support. Good mouse and keyboard controls have priority however :)
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Scanty Chunk

AGH good.

It would also allow the spies to have a more free range of motion. Since WASD keyboard controls only allow movement in degree increments of 45*. A joystick allows the player to move the character in as little as 1* without needing to move the camera.

I had a great time playing SCCT campaign recently on PC because it had controller support, but multiplayer doesn't support it so it's very difficult to play.  :-\

NeoSuperior

Quote from: Scanty Chunk on April 17, 2013, 07:42:07 PM
AGH good.

It would also allow the spies to have a more free range of motion. Since WASD keyboard controls only allow movement in degree increments of 45*. A joystick allows the player to move the character in as little as 1* without needing to move the camera.

I had a great time playing SCCT campaign recently on PC because it had controller support, but multiplayer doesn't support it so it's very difficult to play.  :-\

Yes I think controller support is a good idea. However I just cannot imagine a merc sniping very well with controllers. Well... as long as no one demands auto-aim for controller users I am fine with it.
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

AgentX_003

AGH good.

not true dude , even tho its not naturally supported you can download the drivers from microsofts website for the controller and then download

Xpadder or pinnacle game profiler then you can use the wired 360 controller , it has to be wired or wireless ( you need the wireless adapter )

it can't be a charge pack but yeah thats what you need in order to use a controller to play versus .

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

Scanty Chunk

Quote from: AgentX_003 on April 18, 2013, 02:27:39 AM
AGH good.

not true dude , even tho its not naturally supported you can download the drivers from microsofts website for the controller and then download

Xpadder or pinnacle game profiler then you can use the wired 360 controller , it has to be wired or wireless ( you need the wireless adapter )

it can't be a charge pack but yeah thats what you need in order to use a controller to play versus .

I was thinking about adding Xpadder into my post but the name escaped me.
The problem with those programs is that it doesn't add the genuine benefits of the controller that I was mentioning. It is simply an on/off switch for the keys when the stick reaches a certain direction or point, because it maps the keyboard to the controller.

This results in:
No gradient speed on controller, because it is simply on/off. (Which is ESSENTIAL for spies)
The same, poor range of motion. (from 0* to ~22* on the joystick, the button pressed is D. Then ~23 - ~67, is WD). When you could have control over those missing 22 degrees, instead of simple D, WD, W, WA... etc.
That's only 8 directions. It's clunky to see, and difficult to maneuver.

NeoSuperior

Quote from: Scanty Chunk on April 18, 2013, 03:21:30 AMThat's only 8 directions. It's clunky to see, and difficult to maneuver.

I never really had a problem because of that. the 45° are not a problem. If you want to move in another angle then you can simply use the mouse. Mouse sensitivity can be changed as well, but I think it may also depend on what mouse you got. If you got an old clunky mouse from the 90ies without a scroll wheel, you would surely feel uncomfortable while playing (same with keyboard).
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

Scanty Chunk

Quote from: Meister_Neo on April 18, 2013, 03:25:31 AM
Quote from: Scanty Chunk on April 18, 2013, 03:21:30 AMThat's only 8 directions. It's clunky to see, and difficult to maneuver.

I never really had a problem because of that. the 45° are not a problem. If you want to move in another angle then you can simply use the mouse. Mouse sensitivity can be changed as well.

Still, in some circumstances, you might want to keep your eye on one spot and move in a specific direction as well.

I'm just saying that it would be a great feature and has GREAT benefits because of the simplicity of the gradient speed and maneuverability.
In my opinion, a controller would be better than a keyboard and mouse for the spies side. The merc on the other hand wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Cronky

I agree 100% with the purpose of this thread as I too came from the xbox world of SCPT/CT. :)
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky