PS Website: What should be in it?

Started by frvge, October 25, 2008, 12:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westfall

Quote from: LennardF1989 on October 28, 2008, 12:03:10 AM
You guys obviously have no idea how much time/patience/whatever it takes to develop a website suitable for the final product.

obviously....right....

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Quote from: Westfall on October 28, 2008, 02:00:28 AM
Quote from: LennardF1989 on October 28, 2008, 12:03:10 AM
You guys obviously have no idea how much time/patience/whatever it takes to develop a website suitable for the final product.

obviously....right....
Hey, it's going to be the next best thing since life on earth. You underestimate them =/

frvge

Interesting stuff, ChickenSkin, but any real multi-media wont be made until beta.

So is there any text-based info you'd like?
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

AgentX_003

and hmm maybe a merchandise section , like  Have Project Stealth based T-shirts  :D

with the blood splatter :D , in black or white :D   

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

VaNilla

Well Lennard the key thing is you say that "If you knew what we could offer you guys through a new website, you'll HATE the ModDB site due to it's limits." Well, simple fact is not everyone does so explain your extra flexibilities and maybe we're getting somewhere :P.

I think we all realise it takes time and patience to create a suitable website for the final product, but even so doesn't mean we're in a relevant position to discuss one with the limited knowledge we have about the mod.

LennardF1989

Quote from: STON3COLDKILLA on October 29, 2008, 04:23:03 AM
Well Lennard the key thing is you say that "If you knew what we could offer you guys through a new website, you'll HATE the ModDB site due to it's limits." Well, simple fact is not everyone does so explain your extra flexibilities and maybe we're getting somewhere :P.

I think we all realise it takes time and patience to create a suitable website for the final product, but even so doesn't mean we're in a relevant position to discuss one with the limited knowledge we have about the mod.
Ofcourse, but take the example of Agent.

He says he would like some kind of webshop for T-shirts and such, this requires us to do three things:
- See how many people would actually pay for it (no use in getting 50 T-shirts while only 3 will be sold)
- Make the webshop which actually works
- Make the T-shirts somewhere

Unfortunately, how much I would love too, I can't tell what we are all planning, it takes away the suprise effect we are trying to achieve.

But even though you don't know whats possible, ChickenSkin was on the right track. He say that he would love to have friends and such linked to the website, means we can explore those possibilities (although, note we're talking about GameSpy here).

frvge

GameSpy is indeed limiting, so don't count on those things to be implemented.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

ChickenSkin

Going to sound pretttttty gay, but a little paragraph or two on each of the devs would be nice. Maybe when you have a beta, a little story (in want for a better word) of how the mod started, how long it took, when it started, any difficulties you ran into, internal troubles (dev team, technical difficulties), external troubles (like Ubi threats, community etc), highlights of the project. You know like a story or report on everything. That would humour me and Im sure it would interest a lot of the other community (If not ban them, for they are ungrateful) ;].

I think everything else was mentioned in my previous post :].

frvge

AgentX_003

Quote from: LennardF1989 on October 29, 2008, 12:43:36 PM
Quote from: STON3COLDKILLA on October 29, 2008, 04:23:03 AM

Ofcourse, but take the example of Agent.

He says he would like some kind of webshop for T-shirts and such, this requires us to do three things:
- See how many people would actually pay for it (no use in getting 50 T-shirts while only 3 will be sold)
- Make the webshop which actually works
- Make the T-shirts somewhere

Unfortunately, how much I would love too, I can't tell what we are all planning, it takes away the suprise effect we are trying to achieve.

But even though you don't know whats possible, ChickenSkin was on the right track. He say that he would love to have friends and such linked to the website, means we can explore those possibilities (although, note we're talking about GameSpy here).

theres nothing wrong with having funding or donating , trust me tho im sure alot would buy a ps shirt, i know I would :D

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

ChickenSkin

Im sure all of the community would happily pay some sort of yearly / one off fee for the dedicated servers, website servers, and ongoing support of project stealth (patches and stuff) if you guys need the money.

LennardF1989

Quote from: ChickenSkin on October 30, 2008, 11:41:13 AM
Im sure all of the community would happily pay some sort of yearly / one off fee for the dedicated servers, website servers, and ongoing support of project stealth (patches and stuff) if you guys need the money.
We are not allowed to ask money for the game or its services (website, dedicated server) as long as the game is a mod for UT3. If we win a license, we can.

For now, we can only accept donations. Or sell T-shirts :P

VaNilla

Well things you could do at least :P:

Weekly/Monthly (Depending on activity of the mod) 'Best kill' 'Best Teamwork' videos, stuff like that could be cool.
'Teams Section' for the Teams and Clans who seem to be the most committed to Project Stealth, help newcomers get better, and personality wise aren't dickholes, maybe embed a video into their pages showing some of their skills, things like that would be nice too.
Organised Tournaments.

All I have at the moment since ChickenSkin pretty much said a lot of good ideas :P.

ChickenSkin

Quote from: LennardF1989 on October 30, 2008, 11:57:29 AM
Quote from: ChickenSkin on October 30, 2008, 11:41:13 AM
We are not allowed to ask money for the game or its services (website, dedicated server) as long as the game is a mod for UT3. If we win a license, we can.

For now, we can only accept donations. Or sell T-shirts :P

I will be donating once the beta is released, not sure how often or whatever as I need some money for myself, but so long as you guys keep the patches / new levels coming I will be donating. Im not buying a T-shirt though, might aswell write geek on my forehead with a permanent marker :P.

Gawain

yeah, no need for geek shirts.
i can't see a problem with paying for a dedicated server, afterall you pay for the server and not for the mod oO